Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
May 18th-23rd Severe Potential

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got in from the movies, trying to figure out the tornado watch for I35 in Texas and places east... someone wanna give me a cliffnotes debrief on what's going on.. not seeing too much on radar right now that looks tornado watch worthy IMHO (at least for the DFW metroplex.. down south a WHOLE other story with that bow-echo)

Lost power-posting from my phone.

saw there was a gust to 75 over at Bergstrom in the southeast side and it looks like the anemometer got blown down over at Camp Mabry, with wind damage in the north metro. wind gusts in the north side airports (Georgetown/GTU, the old airport/EDC, rusty allen/RYW) showing gusts of 30-35kts but a chaser near pflugerville saying gusts to 57mph. so it looks like downtown and south were slammed with the worst of it. 

looks like a texas-sized bow echo right now from Ft Hood to Giddings, La Grange, and back to San Antonio. I'm surprised there isn't a big wake low developing with this thing as it trucks east. And if I'm looking at the direction of this correctly, they might take a direct hit with the worst of it right near the Tx A+M WX dept in Bryan-College Station. do they have any school-run radars or anything there to take a look at this thing as it comes in?

###EDIT##

just saw they do, on the dept website. bigger question is, is anyone manning it attm, or is output available from it  somewhere? 

saw there was a gust to 75 over at Bergstrom in the southeast side and it looks like the anemometer got blown down over at Camp Mabry, with wind damage in the north metro. wind gusts in the north side airports (Georgetown/GTU, the old airport/EDC, rusty allen/RYW) showing gusts of 30-35kts but a chaser near pflugerville saying gusts to 57mph. so it looks like downtown and south were slammed with the worst of it. 

looks like a texas-sized bow echo right now from Ft Hood to Giddings, La Grange, and back to San Antonio. I'm surprised there isn't a big wake low developing with this thing as it trucks east. And if I'm looking at the direction of this correctly, they might take a direct hit with the worst of it right near the Tx A+M WX dept in Bryan-College Station. do they have any school-run radars or anything there to take a look at this thing as it comes in?

###EDIT##

just saw they do, on the dept website. bigger question is, is anyone manning it attm, or is output available from it  somewhere? 

I live on the SW side of the metro (near Barton Creek) and can definitely verify it was intense. I went through Sandy and Irene on Long Island and would say it was as intense or more than Irene when it came through. There will definitely be damage reports here in the morning. The trees at my apartment complex were shaking side to side (tall, 35-40 ft trees). 

###EDIT##

AFAIK its not available online but it doesn't matter because no one's running it right now.  The department is pretty deserted right now as most people have left for a bit after finals.  Things of that nature are run mainly by undergraduates and there are almost none of those around right now.  

Getting ready for the line to get here soon.  

That's the remnant bookend vortex of the MCS, there are some near severe winds associated with it currently.

and I hope it stays sub-severe. I know it's not quite as scary as it looked on radar, but there is this funny feeling i have on this MCV that given what was on the loop, we'll want to keep an eye on it at least through Waco before I can remain totally confident that's all it is.

Horrible considering all the flash flood warnings already in place.

Where I am I'm okay, but another MCS or two, who knows. The situation here in Austin ramps up very quickly since the creeks can overflow fast (I'm not far from Williamson Creek, which overflows often). The Colorado River is tightly controlled and Lake Travis is still way below a flood level, so that's good.

Horrible considering all the flash flood warnings already in place.

and i'm hoping that's just a 1 or two frame hiccup over at DFX/Laughlin AFB radar. or it may be more than a few minutes with EWX not getting the greatest pic on that line when they need them the most.

Where I am I'm okay, but another MCS or two, who knows. The situation here in Austin ramps up very quickly since the creeks can overflow fast (I'm not far from Williamson Creek, which overflows often). The Colorado River is tightly controlled and Lake Travis is still way below a flood level, so that's good.

yes, this is radar-indicated precip so it's to be taken with a grain of salt. but with these storm totals from today's rain from the New Braunfels radar, 'Im hoping things will be ok for you over the next day or two   as things drain down the hills into the rivers. Hopefully lake travis can keep all of it in there.

post-2758-0-13111100-1432443991_thumb.pn

wimberley itself looks like only 2" there on radar. but when just upstream just near 10" has been dumped east of Blanco and ~13" between Blanco and Spring Branch, yea, I'm hoping it only goes to 1' above the record.

## edit ##

btw, just checked the hydrograph info for that spot. when it comes to actual streamflow, we're going "off the charts" there. If i am extrapolating properly from what is listed, and it may be wrong as I don't know the river bottom profile, my estimation is saying they're currently seeing near 103 kcfps of water going by, and are estimated to maybe go as much as 130 or so. normal stream flow looks to be between 1000 and 2000 cfs.

Blanco River is at 39' now, breaking 1929's mark by about six feet.

Sent from my iPhone

those 130kcfs numbers I extrapolated earlier, were for 34ft. at 39, we got to be looking at streamflows close to 200kcfs. that's going to be a hell of a big wall of water headed into San Marcos. they'd better evacuate that city now, as well as shut down i-35 near there where the river runs under it. Also, just looked at the maps from the RFC there real quick, they might also want to prep the 130 toll road near there, as not all that water will dissipate before it gets that far downstream.

Archived