• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Short-Term Severe/Flooding Discussion

Quincy

Tor watch issued until 11 central time for the affected mesoscale discussion area.    And the first svr t storm warning in this episode is for the Fort Worth area, technically outside of the current watch.  Good reminder of the NWS statement that says "persons in or close to the watch area" should be on the lookout.

6 minutes ago, Indystorm said:

And the first svr t storm warning in this episode is for the Fort Worth area, technically outside of the current watch.  Good reminder of the NWS statement that says "persons in or close to the watch area" should be on the lookout.

I wasn't really expecting the second line to go severe, but I was not going to rule it out either. I had outdoor plans (afternoon run) for today that I have now cancelled, but I knew there would be a chance for thunderstorms. 

Hearing thunder on the west side of Fort Worth right now, with dark clouds to my southeast.

1 hour ago, BrandonC_TX said:

I won't be calling the Metroplex out of any storm action until we see how this second line behaves.

That was a good call on my part I'd say.

2 minutes ago, BrandonC_TX said:

I wasn't really expecting the second line to go severe, but I was not going to rule it out either, seeing that I had outdoor plans (afternoon run) for today that I have now cancelled.  Hearing thunder on the west side of Fort Worth right now, with dark clouds to my southeast.

That was a good call on my part I'd say.

Yes it was....Good luck on 2018 storm observations, spotting, chasing, etc.

shvchat    2018/01/22 2:59 PM    iembot    
Winnsboro [Wood Co, TX] BROADCAST MEDIA reports TSTM WND DMG at 21 Jan, 8:27 PM CST -- MAYOR OF WINNSBORO TX DECLARED STATE OF EMERGENCY DUE TO DAMAGE ON NORTH SIDE OF TOWN, EXTENSIVE DAMAGE REPORTED TO HOMES AND BUSINESSES THROUGHOUT THE AREA, POWER OUT TO MUCH OF THE AREA, TREE THROUGH HOME ON WINN DRIVE AND FM 852 WEST.

• 3 weeks later...

Currently, the only T-warned cell looks like a QLCS mesovortex and is moving into a bad radar hole. It's one of the several situations around the country where they need to just draw a quadrilateral between KSHV, KPOE, KDGX, and KLZK and place another radar smack dab in the center (not going to happen under the current administration).

That radar hole is annoying. There are several towns like Natchez in which they could put a new radar. It is an active part of Dixie Alley. 

Anyway the Ozarks should go on Saturday. What awful chase terrain. Some models are more Delta, which is better chase terrain. However the slower/west solution is the stronger one.

• 2 months later...

Naturally on a junk day, the I35 corridor gets a tornado.

Severe Weather Statement
National Weather Service Wichita KS
645 PM CDT MON MAY 14 2018

KSC035-150030-
/O.CON.KICT.TO.W.0009.000000T0000Z-180515T0030Z/
Cowley KS-
645 PM CDT MON MAY 14 2018

...A TORNADO WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 730 PM CDT FOR SOUTHERN
COWLEY COUNTY...

At 645 PM CDT, a confirmed tornado was located near Arkansas City,
moving southeast at 15 mph.

HAZARD...Damaging tornado and golf ball size hail. 

SOURCE...Emergency management confirmed tornado. 

IMPACT...Flying debris will be dangerous to those caught without 
         shelter. Mobile homes will be damaged or destroyed. Damage 
         to roofs, windows, and vehicles will occur.  Tree damage is 
         likely. 

Locations impacted include...
Arkansas City, Winfield, Maple City and Strother Field Airport

• Like 1

I almost went to Colorado today (nine hour drive), but am glad I didn't. Kansas was in the back of my mind, but I wanted to save a few bucks. It's really not a surprise that a storm went up in that area. We've had a few days over the past week that were capped just a bit too much for something over Kansas, but it was close. Today was a fine line between modest shear to the NW and plentiful instability to the SE. Outflow boundaries created a non-traditional outflow triple point, but it was enough to get it done. CAMs showed some potential for discrete/semi-discrete storm modes in south-central Kansas, but you would have really had to pick the right area. At 4:45 CDT, I had a narrow opportunity to go toward the developing cell south of Wichita (from Oklahoma City). It's a good thing I didn't go, because GPS would have put me in the right area about a half hour too late. It was a relatively short-lived tornado event. Most of the photos even leading up to the tornado were very grungy, so one would have to have been very patient, or just lucky.

As we get deeper into May, it doesn't take much to get it done. For those who regularly chasecation or take trips to the Plains, this was an example of most favoring Colorado>Kansas, only to bust. Sure, the models had a nice UH track across eastern Colorado (and they verified), but the quality of boundary layer moisture and low-end instability were red flags that hail was a much greater threat than tornadoes. Again, Kansas wasn't clear either and that's what makes storm chasing so difficult. As well as Kansas performed today, you could envision a similar setup on Wednesday or Thursday, except due to other reasons, Colorado ends up producing a tornado. Then you have situations like 2016, where if you stayed in western Kansas for each day in late May, you would have seen nearly endless tornadoes, even though targets greatly varied from Texas to Nebraska.

• Thanks 1

The Colorado vs Kansas is a tough call, again Friday. Today Thursday I think is a pretty clear Colorado, though low odds. Anyway I will share a few rules I follow. Quincy please feel free to comment and even critique. This is a good discussion that could help many chasers.

For Colorado I look for dews to hit 60. The book says 55, but 60 really increases the odds and even chance of multi-cycle. Of course the winds have to be backed. Temps around 80 is nice for LCL considerations. Temps above 85 either needs 65 Td or something to lower the LCL, like a defined outflow. If Colorado is 85/65, Kansas is probably primed too, so I'll stick with 80/60 Colorado.

Next I look for an outflow boundary close to the Palmer Divide. Either one can produce. Line them up and odds increase. Ditto for Raton Mesa and the Cheyenne Ridge (WY) but the Denver Cyclone DCVZ is pretty special.

Friday Colorado could go, unless Kansas storms cut off inflow. Kansas has dewpoint issues though. Out there I want 68+ Td. My Kansas criteria may not be met, but my Colorado criteria will. Kansas CAMs show an MCS following Kansas outflow, but any early sups quickly go mess. Could play Colorado, and hope it produces before the Kansas MCS gets in the way (of inflow).

Oh yea, I do not get too into UH tracks. If leaning on CAMs I look more for a big supercell on an outflow boundary. Nice when the numerical and conceptual models match.

Agreed about UH tracks @nrgjeff, plus the HRRR hasn't been perfect lately. It's struggled a bit and part of that may be some initializing gaffes. Plus, we've been in some nuanced patterns, so it only takes a slight deviation in initial conditions to throw off model evolution. (even yesterday afternoon, the HRRR couldn't convect anything over the Oklahoma panhandle until a couple of hours prior, while the NAM/HREF caught on to the idea earlier. As SPC mentioned, boundary layer moisture was underestimated by some of the CAMs.) Going back to the HRRR "challenges," they're nothing major, as I still think the HRRR is solid overall with the big picture. One has to dig deeper into meteorology and observed conditions in the moment for finer-scale details. I like the HRRR in the morning to get an idea of possible scenarios, but it's mostly obs/radar/satellite from midday out.

Today is still not clear-cut, but I guess it depends what one is looking to chase. If it's a relative higher probability of a tornado and climo-support, then go for the northeastern Colorado vicinity. If more robust, isolated storms are your thing, go farther south into southwestern Kansas/panhandle region. It may be a bit conditional there and the tornado threat is minimal (although I would argue that there may be a narrow window between 00-02z, assuming storms remain isolated), but I would think structure prospects and the potential for longer-lived discrete convection are evident there. With backing near-surface winds, dew-points in the lower 60s and substantially increasing low-level shear toward sunset, don't rule out some panhandle magic (or southwestern Kansas). 

I haven't given Friday too much more analysis since yesterday afternoon. I'm waiting to see how tonight evolves, as outflow may be a key player tomorrow. Nonetheless, my initial thought is that Kansas is the place to be, but that is still up for debate. For tornadoes, yes, let's drive dews well into the 60s. If it's structure you're after, the High Plains can work with mid/upper 50s, like what we should have to play with today.

• Like 1