• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Possible strong/super El Niño forming?

snowman19

The 90-day SOI average has fallen further to -19.223. That is the lowest figure since May 14, 1998 when the 90-day average was -19.839. It is also the 85th lowest figure since 1991.

Right now, the current El Niño is continuing increase in magnitude. So far, the best forcing associated with the current event has been to the west of the 1997-98 center. IMO, the probability that the strongest forcing will remain to the west during the winter is increasing now that we're into mid-October. Even the CFSv2 is beginning to hint at it in its ENSO Region forecasts. According to that guidance, which has been the most pessimistic for winter, ENSO Region 1+2 is at or near its secondary peak while Regions 3, 3.4, and 4 should see additional warming. Should a cooling of the ENSO Region 1+2 anomalies commence over the next few weeks, that would be a strong indication that focus of forcing will likely stay to the west of the 1997-98 ENSO event.

At the same time, the PDO remains positive. Although the September figure has not yet been released, I suspect it will fall somewhere between +1.20 and +1.50 (August was +1.56) given the monthly SSTAs. A PDO+ also favors a PNA+ during the winter which can lead to troughs further downstream in the East.

In sum, I thought it was premature to write off the possibility of a decent winter. A warm winter scenario is on the table, but I believe the probability of that outcome has continued to decline. The odds of a normal winter in terms of snowfall and possibly above normal one have increased, especially in the Middle Atlantic region.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 90-day SOI average has fallen further to -19.223. That is the lowest figure since May 14, 1998 when the 90-day average was -19.839. It is also the 85th lowest figure since 1991.

Right now, the current El Niño is continuing increase in magnitude. So far, the best forcing associated with the current event has been to the west of the 1997-98 center. IMO, the probability that the strongest forcing will remain to the west during the winter is increasing now that we're into mid-October. Even the CFSv2 is beginning to hint at it in its ENSO Region forecasts. According to that guidance, which has been the most pessimistic for winter, ENSO Region 1+2 is at or near its secondary peak while Regions 3, 3.4, and 4 should see additional warming. Should a cooling of the ENSO Region 1+2 anomalies commence over the next few weeks, that would be a strong indication that focus of forcing will likely stay to the west of the 1997-98 ENSO event.

At the same time, the PDO remains positive. Although the September figure has not yet been released, I suspect it will fall somewhere between +1.20 and +1.50 (August was +1.56) given the monthly SSTAs. A PDO+ also favors a PNA+ during the winter which can lead to troughs further downstream in the East.

In sum, I thought it was premature to write off the possibility of a decent winter. Such a scenario is on the table, but I believe the probability of that outcome has continued to decline. The odds of a normal winter in terms of snowfall and possibly above normal one have increased, especially in the Middle Atlantic region.

Don, typo??

True..but with this El Nino..the analogs all point to a warmer than normal winter..when I see years of 72-73,82-83,87-88 and 97-98 thrown around I can't be too optimistic..again, anything can happen..

I'm more optimistic now about the upcoming winter...I'm not expecting another 50" winter in the city...I'm in the 25"-35" range with one 12-18" storm...I don't expect 14 measurable events like the last two years...I think it will be closer to eight events...1982-83 had 27.2" from five events counting the April snow and rain event...my take on temperatures are normal to above but not a torch....The analogs used are feast or famine...I like the way the pattern is now...1972's October was good also but so was 2002 and 2009...

Hey man I kind of disagree here . Huge NEG in the GOA ,There is a NEG NAO , look at how the trough connects from  the SE  up the EC and on  into Europe. Then look at the where the height field is centered , right over HB .

so to me  this looks good .

Y201510.D0800.png

The core of the positive height anomalies is near Hudson's Bay; ideally, it should be further northeast, closer to Greenland / Davis Straights in order to induce an effective -NAO. The pattern verbatim wouldn't be a disaster, but I don't think it would be good. Doesn't matter much anyway at this juncture.

The 500mb low is too far west on that jamstec composite to be favorable. The flat ridging in eastern Canada is a downstream reaction to the strong goAK low. It's not a real nao. The northeast is warm. Not saying it will break that way, just saying what it shows.

I think you meant that the 500mb low is too far east, but I agree, as I just posted.

Also - those images are from the JMA. The JAMSTEC doesn't provided H5 anomalies as far as I'm aware.

Yeah, we are very close to the peak levels this week with some slow further warming continuing for 3.4.

In the most recent week, the SST anomaly in the Nino3.4 region was 2.4 C, reflecting strong El Niño conditions in this weekly time scale, and 2.3 C for the month of September, also at a strong level.

It should peak out in December, pretty good agreement there, and yea warming still ongoing in 3.4

The core of the positive height anomalies is near Hudson's Bay; ideally, it should be further northeast, closer to Greenland / Davis Straights in order to induce an effective -NAO. The pattern verbatim wouldn't be a disaster, but I don't think it would be good. Doesn't matter much anyway at this juncture.

i agree, it does not matter this far out , but when I see the neg that deep SW in the Aleutians the guidance tend to wash the trough out downstream .

It may not mirror the NEG in the GOA ,  but if that GOA look is right then the trough on the EC is deeper .

BTW too much blocking leads to suppression , so having the POS over HB will still promote a Neut or Slightly neg NAO extending the trough into Europe .

Show me that look 2 weeks out and I would say LP will come out of the SE .

JMO. 

December '97 was actually fun.....the 12/23/97 was one of my most enjoyable events.

I'm assuming you were up near Boston that month? Down here on the coast at least it wasn't exactly fun if you like snow.

I have a feeling the poconos are gonna get theirs this winter. They are due and in a sweet spot sitting at 2k

I  agree.

I don't want every index perfect, or I'll be congratulating Norfolk.

i agree, it does not matter this far out , but when I see the neg that deep SW in the Aleutians the guidance tend to wash the trough out downstream .

It may not mirror the NEG in the GOA ,  but if that GOA look is right then the trough on the EC is deeper .

BTW too much blocking leads to suppression , so having the POS over HB will still promote a Neut or Slightly neg NAO extending the trough into Europe .

Show me that look 2 weeks out and I would say LP will come out of the SE .

JMO. 

Yes. Right where I am  now.

We had several inches per hour.

I'm assuming you were up near Boston that month? Down here on the coast at least it wasn't exactly fun if you like snow.
I have a feeling the poconos are gonna get theirs this winter. They are due and in a sweet spot sitting at 2k

Don, typo??

Yes.

It should read:

In sum, I thought it was premature to write off the possibility of a decent winter. A warm winter scenario is on the table, but I believe the probability of that outcome has continued to decline. The odds of a normal winter in terms of snowfall and possibly above normal one have increased, especially in the Middle Atlantic region.

I agree.

I don't want every index perfect, or I'll be congratulating Norfolk.

Yes. Right where I am now.

We had several inches per hour.

I could see that. We came so so close to something big during one of the November noreasters down here. We had super heavy rain change over to some of the biggest heaviest parachutes I have seen to date. Unfortunity they did not stick much with temps in the upper 30s.

I'm sure we will see some of those super juiced super rates storms this winter too

Guys we all know this is a strong el nino and one of the strongest etc ..that has been clear for quite some time. No sense in shouting it from the mountaintop when everyone knows this... However this does NOT mean that the winter can not be cold and snowy either.. There is more to the atmospheric weather conditions then ENSO .. There is where the greatest forcing is located.. is the PDO looking to stay positive? NAO and AO . So many more pieces then just strength of the ENSO

Guys we all know this is a strong el nino and one of the strongest etc ..that has been clear for quite some time. No sense in shouting it from the mountaintop when everyone knows this... However this does NOT mean that the winter can not be cold and snowy either.. There is more to the atmospheric weather conditions then ENSO .. There is where the greatest forcing is located.. is the PDO looking to stay positive? NAO and AO . So many more pieces then just strength of the ENSO

This thread is an El Niño thread that's why everyone is discussion the Nino and not winter predictions or the NAO

Yeah, very nice presentation. You would expect the trough to be deeper over the SE especially second half of January 

through March than the Euro is showing. We have been discussing that it sees the ridge better over

Western NOAM and the trough is usually underdone over the East. I hope the Euro idea works out since that is

such a great look.

I really agree here . With a trough in the GOA that strong , I find it hard that it will not get reflected on the EC .  The evolution of the Euro seasonal shows this . it pulls the ridge back in Jan and looks good for Feb . 

It seems to be an error that we see a lot . I don`t expect it to translate all of the time , but too often the models just miss it`s strength . 

Just updated via BoM: the average of all major models have this Nino peaking almost as high, if not higher, than 97-98. The spread (lack thereof) is impressive as well.

post-29453-1444980736_thumb.png

Are these models utilizing the OISST dataset calibration or the ERSST? I know the IRI guidance utilizes the former, and so, a projected peak trimonthly of 2.4-2.5c or so would probably only translate to around 2.0c on the official ONI trimonthly of the ERSST dataset. It's a fairly significant difference.

Are these models utilizing the OISST dataset calibration or the ERSST? I know the IRI guidance utilizes the former, and so, a projected peak trimonthly of 2.4-2.5c or so would probably only translate to around 2.0c on the official ONI trimonthly of the ERSST dataset. It's a fairly significant difference.

The models are still using the OISST dataset.

Yea, 1.8-2 should do it.

Archived