• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Possible strong/super El Niño forming?

snowman19

The central basin warming on balance would be the catalyst for more central and west based forcing.

I can't say for sure if the Rossby wave idea was wrong , it may be , but we are going to have to wait a bit and see if the east starts to cool before we call WSI wrong.

Yeah I agree. I don't know what his standards are for a Modoki. Some define it where Nino 1+2 is cooler than Nino 4... others define it as 1+2 as <0C while the rest of the regions are >0.5C. I can't imagine either case happening this winter. But he's far more experienced than me and he's actually using science (i.e., stuff I don't understand) for his hypothesis, so I'll keep quiet.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One other thing to keep in mind is the Euro seasonal shows Enso 3.4 peaking > 3C+ and still produces a decent winter for most of the east coast (based on the temp and precip maps.) So I think the angst over upcoming warming in 3 & 3.4 shouldn't be of much concern. I would add, however, that the Euro seasonal updates in 2 days, so hopefully I won't be crying in my weenie Wheaties then!

The Euro has been unwavering since the spring that Nino region 3.4 hits over +3.0C, run after run, month after month, it has also shown a consistent December peak as well. I'll go with consistency and say it's right about the ENSO evolution. As far as the actual winter pattern over the CONUS? I'd like to see its seasonal October and November monthly projections verify first

The actual SST's and convection show this pattern very well. A large area of convection is focusing

right over those 30C SST's in the Nino 4 region. You can also see a secondary area of 30C SST's

near 15N with another area of thunderstorms.

attachicon.gifpac_oisst_current.png

attachicon.gifolra-30d.gif

I agree Chris. The development is right over the top of the warmer waters.

If it sticks and I am not sure why It would not , we will be fine.

Paul...Check out how close we are right now to the three warmest OND's on record for Nino 4.

The OISST v2 SST record for September was +1.04 which we set this year.

Record Nino 4 temperatures for OND are not much higher. The three

record years for Nino 4 were 2009, 2004, and 2002.

Nino 4 record SST departures for OND:

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/data/indices/sstoi.indices

October

November

December

The heat really spread out since June and had found its way west .  I would expect the new monthly seasonal guidance to look the same in terms of forcing . ( x the CFS of course ). 

Which wants to force in the east and not near the D/L . 

2015279cp.jpg

2015279cpd26.png

On the weekly and monthly OISSTv2  it's +1.04 now vs +0.62 in September 1997.

But the main point is that it's enough of a difference to shift the main convective

forcing well west of 1997 at this time.

attachicon.gifOLR.png

attachicon.gifP.png

The official monthly numbers based on the other data set only show a .11c difference.

There is a pretty big spread between the OISSTv2 and ERSST v4. I am sticking to the v2 since that is what all the model

forecasts and IRI official outlook are calibrated to. 

From the last official IRI update:

http://iri.columbia.edu/our-expertise/climate/forecasts/enso/current/?enso_tab=enso-quicklook

In the most recent week, the SST anomaly in the Nino3.4 region was 2.3 C, reflecting strong El Niño conditions in this weekly time scale, and 2.1 C for the month of August, also at a strong level.  

2015 8 22.88 2.24 27.33 2.34 29.66 0.98 28.89 2.07

2015 9 22.91 2.57 27.48 2.63 29.73 1.04 29.00 2.28

I don't know if that's a bad approach. I've been using the ERSSTv4, which shows a less impressive ENSO event than the OISSTv2. However, the impacts shown on the MEI and WSI's AEI might argue for use of the earlier tool.

The anomalous heat in terms of the subsurface continues to push East.

The effects of the current massive WWB are showing up on the 5 day mean.

This hasn't even surfaced yet. But the thermocline has continued to flatten over the EPAC.

T9shSzS.jpg

I personally don't care how this shakes out but there is pretty vigorous warming about to get underway along the Western SA coast.

Not sure if it's tropical storm or, what but there is a signal continuing to grow for relaxing of the trades literally over enso 1-2.

SbrmbGM.jpg

There is a pretty big spread between the OISSTv2 and ERSST v4. I am sticking to the v2 since that is what all the model

forecasts and IRI official outlook are calibrated to.

From the last official IRI update:

http://iri.columbia.edu/our-expertise/climate/forecasts/enso/current/?enso_tab=enso-quicklook

In the most recent week, the SST anomaly in the Nino3.4 region was 2.3 C, reflecting strong El Niño conditions in this weekly time scale, and 2.1 C for the month of August, also at a strong level.

2015 8 22.88 2.24 27.33 2.34 29.66 0.98 28.89 2.07

2015 9 22.91 2.57 27.48 2.63 29.73 1.04 29.00 2.28

Hey man was just catching up and saw some of the above posts .

Even if one uses .11C is that not still a record ?

Is there a new standard when it came to records , that .11c is not " record enough "

Anyway enough about that and back to your argument which I agree with 100 % that the spread west of the heat in the entire basin has been accompanied by the best convection / forcing . So for our purposes it agrees with what some ( ALL BUT 1 ) of the seasonal guidance suggests will be a factor that will limit a repeat of a 97/98 .

And may be we are seeing a hint as to where the GOA will set up , Just S of the Aleutians , which is over the top of the greatest AN SST anomalies and NOT as far east as that 1 seasonal model is sticking it .

gfs-ens_z500a_sd5d_namer_1.png

ecmwf-ens_z500a_namer_11.png

Euro seasonal update  J-M .  Has not changed . There is still a deep NEG S of the Aleutians with a big POS centered just WEST of Hudson Bay , with a trough extending through the S with the NEG focused from TEX into the SE .

Can`t post , but it looks good . 

Euro seasonal update  J-M .  Has not changed . There is still a deep NEG S of the Aleutians with a big POS centered just WEST of Hudson Bay , with a trough extending through the S with the NEG focused from TEX into the SE .

Can`t post , but it looks good . 

Ok, we need a drive-by el nino stroke-quote from snowman to temper this rush of enthusiasm.

How much did R 1.2 warm yesterday?

so it's wrong to talk about the strength of this event in a thread dedicated to it? all the snow wishcasting should go in the winter thread

Perhaps take up residence in a morgue, so that you may eradicate levity from your life completely?

Honestly, are any of his posts deleted?

Man, he knows his stuff, just bust'n him.

Feel free to rip into me.

Unc, "may the forcing be with you"...I like that, gonna steal it lol

Perhaps take up residence in a morgue, so that you may eradicate levity from your life completely?

Honestly, are any of his posts deleted?

Man, he knows his stuff, just bust'n him.

Feel free to rip into me.

Unc, "may the forcing be with you"...I like that, gonna steal it lol

every once and a while I come up with a good one...I can be quite corny at times...

so it's wrong to talk about the strength of this event in a thread dedicated to it? all the snow wishcasting should go in the winter thread

No one is doing that here . 

We have been debating the evolution of this NINO since May . We have argued it strength and regional warmth in relation to other strong NINO s. We have pointed out where we were  and where we are going in terms of the evolution into the winter 

No one here is forecasting snow here  .

When the same people scream how this was an east based event since May and then In the face of this moving west many the same posters would only point out a move in 1 region and ignore the other 3 as this spread west .

Posters had to post ad nauseam  to counter how it was not an east based event and only after months of the push back where they  forced to let the argument go .

Then there was the faint hope that the warm water would be erased in the EPO region after Tom posted one time on the possibility . He rode that for 2 months before we showed the AN anomaly in EPO region stuck  and still present today  , again  they were  forced to let that argument  go .

Then early in the year and later on by WSI the idea of a " modoki" style forcing was a possibility , which was saw by the better seasonal guidance . Again the forcing is out near the D/L and not east like in 97/98. We will see how long it takes to accept that . 

When the general theme by some was/is a strong EL NINO  should overwhelm the pattern we argue the guidance . 

If there was forcing out near 100W and a huge trough sitting on the west shores of Hudson bay no one would be  calling for the chance of a good winter . 

No one is doing that here . 

We have been debating the evolution of this NINO since May . We have argued it strength and regional warmth in relation to other strong NINO s. We have pointed out where we were  and where we are going in terms of the evolution into the winter 

No one here is forecasting snow here  .

When the same people scream how this was an east based event since May and then In the face of this moving west many the same posters would only point out a move in 1 region and ignore the other 3 as this spread west .

Posters had to post ad nauseam  to counter how it was not an east based event and only after months of the push back where they  forced to let the argument go .

Then there was the faint hope that the warm water would be erased in the EPO region after Tom posted one time on the possibility . He rode that for 2 months before we showed the AN anomaly in EPO region stuck  and still present today  , again  they were  forced to let that argument  go .

Then early in the year and later on by WSI the idea of a " modoki" style forcing was a possibility , which was saw by the better seasonal guidance . Again the forcing is out near the D/L and not east like in 97/98. We will see how long it takes to accept that . 

When the general theme by some was/is a strong EL NINO  should overwhelm the pattern we argue the guidance . 

If there was forcing out near 100W and a huge trough sitting on the west shores of Hudson bay no one would be  calling for the chance of a good winter . 

I disagree. I guarantee people would hype up the AO and NAO being negative and saving the winter. You could probably make a drinking game based on how many times people reference the July-DJF NAO correlation presented by WSI. The lucky participants would die from alcohol poisoning in the first 2 days.

I disagree. I guarantee people would hype up the AO and NAO being negative and saving the winter. You could probably make a drinking game based on how many times people reference the July-DJF NAO correlation presented by WSI. The lucky participants would die from alcohol poisoning in the first 2 days.

The majority of we in the NE forum are not at all sold on a -AO/NAO, so you are wrong about us.

The overwhelming majority would have cancelled winter already, myself included.

If the drivers/guidance/analogs were against it , it would be easily pushed back . Yes WSI Modoki reference was based on a Rossby wave that may not even be present , however their forcing idea looks good so far  plus it is too early to say they were wrong yet on the initial idea . 

I will agree that everyone is always chasing the better winter ideas , but most  good posters here would yell fail and point out the reasons why . 

The majority of we in the NE forum are not at all sold on a -AO/NAO, so you are wrong about us.

The overwhelming majority would have cancelled winter already, myself included.

yeah...I can't see a cold and snowy winter without a negative ao/nao...but there is always a first time for everything...

If the drivers/guidance/analogs were against it , it would be easily pushed back . Yes WSI Modoki reference was based on a Rossby wave that may not even be present , however their forcing idea looks good so far  plus it is too early to say they were wrong yet on the initial idea . 

I will agree that everyone is always chasing the better winter ideas , but most  good posters here would yell fail and point out the reasons why . 

We would need to see R1.2 and 3 cool pretty soon to see a modoki.

Odds against that imo....but then again, R4 is off the charts, so....who knows.

The models continue to trend stronger with the Nino trimonthly peak, still showing a December peak but now above +2.5C. Link to the IRI plumes: https://twitter.com/ggweather/status/652113859705204736

Wow.

Archived