Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December 1992 Nor'easter video

CapturedNature

• 4 years later...

Was living in Norfolk at the time and was trying to plow at the place I was working and it was immovable and topping over the plow.  Had to get someone with a front end loader to move the snow from the parking lot.

Don't remember how much snow we had - but it was a lot.  We also lost power for two days.

Great video, thanks for sharing, brings back memories.

I was living at 40 Sarah Ave in Lowell (I think Dave lived in the same house on the first floor). It started as rain for me, so I jumped in my Toyota Celica and drove west along 113 to Townsend where it turned to snow. Turned around and the R/S line more or less followed me east. I stopped in the Blue Moon in Tyngsoboro for a couple beers, lol. A friend was taking the LSAT's the next day and they didn't cancel! He came up form the Cape early Sat. morning and said it was rain the whole way until he got only about a mile south of 495 on Rt. 3 where apparently the R/S line held for much of the storm. I think we ended up with somewhere in the 18-24" range, but just a few miles south the amounts were significantly lower.

46 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

December1992_snowfall_revised.PNG

One of the more extreme examples of downsloping that you’ll ever see around here. I was living a little NE of Danbury, CT at the time, and received over a foot of heavy wet snow. the difference in weather in the relatively short distance between Danbury and the coast was always staggering. My grandparents lived in Norwalk then and saw very little snow, but took video of impressive coastal flooding.

ORH had it worse certainly, and Mar ‘93 would soon eclipse it for me,  but at the time it was the heaviest snow i’d seen since Feb ‘83. I was a little young to remember much about that one however. Mid ‘80s until that winter had some very lean years in SNE for big winter storms. 

20 minutes ago, Stash said:

One of the more extreme examples of downsloping that you’ll ever see around here. I was living a little NE of Danbury, CT at the time, and received over a foot of heavy wet snow. the difference in weather in the relatively short distance between Danbury and the coast was always staggering. My grandparents lived in Norwalk then and saw very little snow, but took video of impressive coastal flooding.

ORH had it worse certainly, and Mar ‘93 would soon eclipse it for me,  but at the time it was the heaviest snow i’d seen since Feb ‘83. I was a little young to remember much about that one however. Mid ‘80s until that winter had some very lean years in SNE for big winter storms. 

It was the first storm over 8 or 9" I saw since moving back to ORH in 1988 when I was 7. I experienced 4 consecutive winters without a double digit snowfall....ORH previously had not ever had even 3 consecutive winters without a double digit snowfall before that....or since. I timed it perfectly!

But that storm was a true drought buster for me.

Here's a pic of me (and my grandfather) on top of a snow pile in the driveway at my grandfathers house the day after it ended. We had about 35 inches there in Holden, MA.

December1992_Holden.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

It was the first storm over 8 or 9" I saw since moving back to ORH in 1988 when I was 7. I experienced 4 consecutive winters without a double digit snowfall....ORH previously had not ever had even 3 consecutive winters without a double digit snowfall before that....or since. I timed it perfectly!

Here's a pic of me (and my grandfather) on top of a snow pile in the driveway at my grandfathers house the day after it ended. We had about 35 inches there in Holden, MA.

That's awesome.  Even for me it was a real chapter turner for me too.  Before that we would have occasional events but winters were nothing like they were after that (save for a couple).  Heck, the cold of December 1989 was a big event!  You can just feel my brother and I's excitement in the video in chasing down reports of the snow in Worcester and waves in Hull.  I had never seen so much snow fall at once and so close to my house!  After that I could compare storms to that one like some of you do for the Blizzard of 78 which wasn't that big for me.

3 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

We had the same underwhelming "welcome" when we moved from NNJ to BGR in Jan. 1973.  Saw lots of snow piles from their huge Dec. '72 but did not see even one 8" snowstorm in met winter until the 11.5" on Dec. 18, 1975, two weeks before our move to Ft. Kent.  We did have 8.5" in Nov.'74, 8.6" in April '74 and 12.0" in April '75.  ;)  Then, despite frequent snows and good pack, FK had no storms greater than 8.2" for nearly a year, until late Dec. '76 when 24"and 12"  dumps came Dec. 26-31.  Of course we were in NJ for Christmas then, missing the 2-footer entirely though we got to drive the length of Maine (after dark) during the 12-incher.  (Later winters there, and at my present location, have certainly made up for that.)

Strangely, I have no recollection of that storm living in Lexington. The video of Nantasket Beach reminded me of a storm my father drove me down to when I was a young kid - probably early 70's - standing right around where the waves were breaking over the sea wall in the video and the storm surge was almost to the top of the wall. I can recall being both in awe and a little frightened.  My grandparents had a summer home on the other side of the hill on Atlantic Ave in Hull towards Cohasset. There was a hurricane in the late 60's which resulted in the fortification and essentially the destruction of a beach that ran parallel to Atlantic Ave called Crescent Beach. I dimly recall the beach but it now all rock and cement. This area is a favorite for the Boston news media to capture waves breaking over rooftops during big storms. Great video.

• 1 month later...

I was working in Springfield at the time and commuting, I remember telling the people I worked with about the snow and my ride on Route 20 to Auburn and they didn't believe it, the days before internet were different than today. I had some good pics of Dresser Hill in Charlton to show them, drifts were 5 foot, speed limit sign was almost buried.

9 minutes ago, CTValleySnowMan said:

I'm not a historian but in my lifetime definitely.  

Yeah, I had never seen anything like that before or after.  Even the amount of snow in Stafford/Union was something I had never seen before or since.  30"+ snowfalls are pretty rare.  That whole day was pretty special.

On 1/21/2020 at 11:47 AM, ORH_wxman said:

December1992_Holden.jpg

Your son looks like you. Great weenie pic, wish I didn't lose my 78 pics to a flood