joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
May 7th-10th Severe Outbreaks

andyhb

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any talk of the Cisco tornado? I know it's already been rated but I have a feeling it could get upgraded in the future.

Haven't seen much else other than the original EF3 rating. FWD has been busy as hell over the past few days so that's understandable.

Any talk of the Cisco tornado? I know it's already been rated but I have a feeling it could get upgraded in the future.

from the damage videos I've saw of Cisco given it was in a more rural area I doubt it honestly.. if it had gone through town I could easily see it get upgraded

May 6th-10th Outbreak Summary:

May 6th: (Slight Risk, upgraded to Enhanced day of)

wb5bEhm.png

May 7th: (Slight Risk)

DZtBPnz.png

May 8th: (Slight Risk)

bINd59L.png

May 9th: (Mod. Risk)

JlgUCOJ.png

May 10th: (Mod. Risk)

BgnOhKg.png

Totals for Outbreak:

Tornadoes: 149

Wind: 219

Hail: 315

Please correct me if I was wrong on any of the SPC risk during each specific day.

from the damage videos I've saw of Cisco given it was in a more rural area I doubt it honestly.. if it had gone through town I could easily see it get upgradhttp://mediaassets.reporternews.com/photo/2015/05/10/CiscoTornado1_18073809_ver1.0_640_480.jpged

That and the DOD10 house near Cisco looks to have been built on a block foundation. Might have been "attached" just via gravity alone.

CiscoTornado1_18073809_ver1.0_640_480.jp

On the other hand, I do think there is potentially room for an upgrade near Munden, KS.

Please correct me if I was wrong on any of the SPC risk during each specific day.

May 7 was Day 1 Enhanced (upgraded at 1630z)

May 8 was Day 1 Moderate

The SPC really did a pretty good job, considering the uncertainties.

VALID 081300Z - 091200Z

...THERE IS A MDT RISK OF SVR TSTMS PORTIONS CENTRAL/SW OK AND NW

TX...

That and the DOD10 house near Cisco looks to have been built on a block foundation. Might have been "attached" just via gravity alone.

On the other hand, I do think there is potentially room for an upgrade near Munden, KS.

Was that the tornado that swept away a bolted down home and left significant tree debarking on the property?

Documented a cone/bowl that I'm not sure touched down. Picture is Saturday May 9 at 8:27 pm near Bucklin, KS looking west-southwest toward Clark State Fishing Lake and Wildlife Area. While we probably should have picked OFB North Texas or deeper Upslope flow, it was a great experience overall. We visited the Big Well and Meteorite museum in Greensburg after lunch. Got a copy of Molly and the Tornado book for my daughter. It was funny how hot and windy it was there before Rozel, and how cool and clammy it was this time. However I always love soaking up the Plains wind. Even after 22Z I was starting to fear my worst blue sky bust in 20 years. Did we get burned compromising instead of going for one or the two main targets? OK Panhandle started up by 00Z and hope springs eternal. We went to Meade, KS waiting for it to come to us - and get into more backed 850/925 flow. Cells entered Kansas and gave us a good 90 minute show of wall clouds and overall structure. Picture is a capture from video.

post-2545-0-89983100-1431441466_thumb.pn

Documented a cone/bowl that I'm not sure touched down. Picture is Saturday May 9 at 8:27 pm near Bucklin, KS looking west-southwest toward Clark State Fishing Lake and Wildlife Area. While we probably should have picked OFB North Texas or deeper Upslope flow, it was a great experience overall. We visited the Big Well and Meteorite museum in Greensburg after lunch. Got a copy of Molly and the Tornado book for my daughter. It was funny how hot and windy it was there before Rozel, and how cool and clammy it was this time. However I always love soaking up the Plains wind. Even after 22Z I was starting to fear my worst blue sky bust in 20 years. Did we get burned compromising instead of going for one or the two main targets? OK Panhandle started up by 00Z and hope springs eternal. We went to Meade, KS waiting for it to come to us - and get into more backed 850/925 flow. Cells entered Kansas and gave us a good 90 minute show of wall clouds and overall structure. Picture is a capture from video.

It sounds like you got to that storm well before I did. I snapped off this first picture 6 miles WSW of Bucklin at 8:28 p.m. Can't say that I saw anything conclusive myself, but the storm took on a striated structure as it passed over Bucklin, which is the second picture below:

post-533-0-81885800-1431444753_thumb.jpg

post-533-0-92356200-1431444869_thumb.jpg

It sounds like you got to that storm well before I did. I snapped off this first picture 6 miles WSW of Bucklin at 8:28 p.m. Can't say that I saw anything conclusive myself, but the storm took on a striated structure as it passed over Bucklin, which is the second picture below:

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Beautiful striations in that second pic. 

Contacted NWS in Topeka and they said they did not rate the tornado EF4 because the cars in the garage were not moved and had very little damage.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

If anything touched down it was very brief 30 seconds to 2 minutes max - you did not miss anything. Honestly the striated wall cloud was the best feature of the night, regardless of whether a tornado touched down prior. We sat at that exact same spot for the striated wall cloud. Maybe you were the car next to us? I'd backed into a gateway to a ranch and somebody pulled over on the wide shoulder too. Two quick right turns onto KS-34 then US-54 offered a great escape route. With safety locked in, we could enjoy the wall cloud and really soak in the scene. Note to others, that striation picture is not edited in any way. It really looked that great!

Like to comment to all chasers once more about Greensburg. We try to support their economy much as we can when driving through. Eat lunch at the Green Bean cafe. Check out the gift store next door. Do the Big Well museum if time permits. Buy souvenirs. I got a cheesy but fun Kansas Storm Chaser tee. Also picked up Molly and the Tornado, a great children's book about severe weather safety, pets in storms, and how hope endures through all. Though we usually base in Wichita, Greensburg has a new motel. Greensburg is trying to bounce back and has rebuilt with a lot of green energy. Please support the town by stopping if it is on your chase route. Go Greensburg!

two tornadoes surveyed in the NWS Shreveport area (east Texas)

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SHREVEPORT LA
1000 AM CDT WED MAY 13 2015

...NWS DAMAGE SURVEY FOR MAY 10TH AND 11TH, 2015 SEVERE WEATHER
EVENT...

.TORNADO #1...

RATING: EF-0
ESTIMATED PEAK WIND: 70-85 MPH
PATH LENGTH /STATUTE/: 0.51 MILES
PATH WIDTH /MAXIMUM/: 491 YARDS
FATALITIES: 0
INJURIES: 0

START DATE: MAY 10 2015
START TIME: 1125 PM CDT
START LOCATION: 5.7 MILES NNE OF JEFFERSON TX
END TIME: 1127 PM CDT
END LOCATION: 5.9 MILES NNE OF JEFFERSON TX

.TORNADO #2...

RATING: EF-0
ESTIMATED PEAK WIND: 70-85 MPH
PATH LENGTH /STATUTE/: 2.66 MILES
PATH WIDTH /MAXIMUM/: 345 YARDS
FATALITIES: 0
INJURIES: 0

START DATE: MAY 10 2015
START TIME: 1128 PM CDT
START LOCATION: 8.1 MILES NNE OF JEFFERSON TX
END TIME: 1132 PM CDT
END LOCATION: 10 MILES SE OF LINDEN TX

If anything touched down it was very brief 30 seconds to 2 minutes max - you did not miss anything. Honestly the striated wall cloud was the best feature of the night, regardless of whether a tornado touched down prior. We sat at that exact same spot for the striated wall cloud. Maybe you were the car next to us? I'd backed into a gateway to a ranch and somebody pulled over on the wide shoulder too. Two quick right turns onto KS-34 then US-54 offered a great escape route. With safety locked in, we could enjoy the wall cloud and really soak in the scene. Note to others, that striation picture is not edited in any way. It really looked that great!

I might have been just a bit west of you. I took a turn off one block south of US-54, just before Bucklin. I was parked near a sheriff with his lights flashing. (We actually talked a bit about the storm and its behavior. I enjoy those conversations. I've bumped into police officers already a few times in the Plains and have almost unanimously had great conversations with them)

US-54 was a great route. given the storm trajectory. I know storm chaser convergence is a given, but I don't know that I've ever seen it as extreme as it was there that night. At one point, maybe 15 minutes before this storm, traffic on US-54 was going about 25-30 mph and almost every vehicle appeared to be a storm chaser or otherwise weather enthusiast. I won't get into the details, but I unfortunately observed a lot of risky driving and behavior around this storm.

The photo above was on a delayed shutter, I believe 5 or 8 seconds. With the loss of daylight, unfortunately I wasn't able to get higher resolution images. It was still quite a sight. Some of the best structure I've seen so far this year was in Kansas. If only I had gone into eastern Colorado this day...which I actually halfheartedly joked to Ian about doing.

Red Oak Oklahoma tornado track, as per lat/lon coordinates from Norman NWS storm survey. This is the 15-mile long, EF-2 damage. There was another, much shorter tornado track near Red Oak (not plotted). This tornado track goes over some hills (mountains) at 1100ft.

red_oak_OK_EF2_track.jpg

Impressive video of the Cisco tornado here by Scott Currens.

Just now switched over the HD version of this, this tornado has some of the strongest rotation I've ever seen. It morphs from an Andover-like appearance in the beginning to Pampa at the end. No doubt in my mind that this thing was significantly stronger than EF3, just didn't hit anything structure-wise to be rated as such (despite some of the very impressive contextual evidence).

Just now switched over the HD version of this, this tornado has some of the strongest rotation I've ever seen. It morphs from an Andover-like appearance in the beginning to Pampa at the end. No doubt in my mind that this thing was significantly stronger than EF3, just didn't hit anything structure-wise to be rated as such (despite some of the very impressive contextual evidence).

Totally agree. One of the most violent tornado videos I've ever seen. First time I watched it last week, before he zoomed out and you could see the leaves in the foreground swaying at normal speed, I was like, "did he forget to put an 8x timelapse stamp on this?" Surprised it hasn't gotten more attention.

Totally agree. One of the most violent tornado videos I've ever seen. First time I watched it last week, before he zoomed out and you could see the leaves in the foreground swaying at normal speed, I was like, "did he forget to put an 8x timelapse stamp on this?" Surprised it hasn't gotten more attention.

Yes I thought the same thing, it's absolutely ridiculous motion.

Last 2/3 of that video is extremely reminiscent of Pampa 1995.

Archived