• Created
  • Last Reply

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
TORNADO WARNING
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NORMAN OK
428 PM CDT FRI MAY 8 2015

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN NORMAN HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...
  SOUTHWESTERN TILLMAN COUNTY IN SOUTHWESTERN OKLAHOMA...
  CENTRAL WILBARGER COUNTY IN NORTHERN TEXAS...

* UNTIL 515 PM CDT

* AT 428 PM CDT...A CONFIRMED TORNADO WAS LOCATED 4 MILES NORTHWEST
  OF LOCKETT...MOVING EAST AT 20 MPH.

HAZARD...DAMAGING TORNADO AND HAIL UP TO TWO INCHES IN DIAMETER.

SOURCE...LAW ENFORCEMENT CONFIRMED TORNADO.

IMPACT...FLYING DEBRIS WILL BE DANGEROUS TO THOSE CAUGHT WITHOUT
           SHELTER. MOBILE HOMES WILL BE DAMAGED OR DESTROYED.
           DAMAGE TO ROOFS...WINDOWS AND VEHICLES WILL OCCUR.  TREE
           DAMAGE IS LIKELY.

* LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...
  VERNON...LOCKETT...GRAYBACK AND OKLAUNION.

Anyone who sees this tornado SW of Vernon is taking an enormous risk to their own lives.

May seem like a very stupid question...but why exactly? Why is this any different to another storm of it's magnitude?

Sorry - again, to reiterate, just doing my best to learn so this kind of thing helps me!

Anyone who sees this tornado SW of Vernon is taking an enormous risk to their own lives.

Yeah. We were on it... Incredibly HP. Can't even see a hint of structure from a distance. Very frustrating and stressful on these roads (or lack thereof). Peaced out to Electra to take a breather.

Thanks for the replies....question on some terminology? HP tornado? I presume this is one that doesn't drop down for a long period of time and is unpredictable in nature? Rain wrapped or surrounded by Heavy Precip? 

It's a term for the type of supercell.  High Precipitation.  Tornadoes in these storms can be just as strong and long tracked but are very dangerous because they are difficult or impossible to see.

Thanks for the replies....question on some terminology? HP tornado? I presume this is one that doesn't drop down for a long period of time and is unpredictable in nature? Rain wrapped or surrounded by Heavy Precip?

HP= High Precipitation. These storms, and the tornadoes with them, can indeed be very unpredictable. Most often you will not be able to see a tornado associated with these storms until it's too late.

EDIT: Ninja'd

high precipitation. basically, yes rain-wrapped. and the rain is heavy enough to obscure the exact tornado like a curtain. from a chasing standpoint, one to stay a distance from as not being able to see the exact structure other than the rain curtain makes it more a danger than if it was real big but clear as day.

Archived