• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Earthquake

Jonger

Did anyone feel it? I'm on the very east side of Michigan right now and missed it.

Never felt one yet.

us20002avh_ciim.jpg

I wonder if this is related to hydraulic fracturing in western Michigan. DEQ shows a number of permitted wells in that vicinity (Antrim Shale geologic formation).

Did anyone feel it? I'm on the very east side of Michigan right now and missed it.

Never felt one yet.

us20002avh_ciim.jpg

I didn't feel anything here, but I think I was mowing at the time so that's probably why! I've always wanted to feel an earthquake too, a 4.2 is a pretty decent one for MI standards, kinda sad I didn't feel it.

There was a 4.6 earthquake in the same general region (about 30 miles further to the south and east) in August 1947.  That one remains the largest earthquake centered in Michigan ever recorded.

Given that historical event, I'd guess one isn't due to fracking.  Must be some small geologic instability in the region. 

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/states/events/1947_08_10_iso.php

I definitely felt the rumbling. I was sitting on the couch and it shook for about 3-5 seconds or so. I shortly thereafter thought 'earthquake'!I

I did some research once on great lakes earthquakes, what I learned is since the mile deep or so glaciers that made the great lakes in the first place melted... well since all that bazillions of tons of ice left, the lake beds are slowly lifting up and draining out without that weight on them. so basically we can get small earthquakes like this sometimes even being very far from any real fault lines. And the nature of the bedrock in the lakes area makes any small quake we get to be felt from a longer distance than normal quakes.

I did some research once on great lakes earthquakes, what I learned is since the mile deep or so glaciers that made the great lakes in the first place melted... well since all that bazillions of tons of ice left, the lake beds are slowly lifting up and draining out without that weight on them. so basically we can get small earthquakes like this sometimes even being very far from any real fault lines. And the nature of the bedrock in the lakes area makes any small quake we get to be felt from a longer distance than normal quakes.

Exactly. It's called isostatic rebound - or post-glacial rebound.

There are some small fault lines in the region that are known. The Sandwich fault line complex in north central IL comes to mind as well as the Wabash Valley rift/fault system. We're not totally immune to modest earthquakes.

Exactly. It's called isostatic rebound - or post-glacial rebound.

There are some small fault lines in the region that are known. The Sandwich fault line complex in north central IL comes to mind as well as the Wabash Valley rift/fault system. We're not totally immune to modest earthquakes.

That Wabash Valley one in particular...there's historical precedence of like 6.0-7.0 quakes there but it's been a while.

The wabash is respectable in its own right, but the NMSZ remains the big daddy. The NMSZ is actually a failed continental rift. The Gulf of Mexico actually used to come all the way up to the boot heel of Missouri. The land from there to Louisiana is actually millions of years of MS river sediment as the delta pushes farther and farther out centimeter by centimeter. Most of Mo and so IL was covered by a prehistoric sea, and fun fact, the south east part of Mo where most of the worlds lead is currently mined was actually a very volcanic area, and MO's highest point, Taum Sauk mountain is actually an ancient volcano.

Sorry for only being semi relevant, I am from that region and the 1812 quakes have always fascinated me. My mom lives in an old house built by Nathaniel Boone, she has a freshwater spring bubbling up in her basement (house was built over it in case of Indian attack, they would have freshwater), and her property is filled with springs and dried springs, all of which supposedly came to life after / during the 1812 NM quake.

thanks, this is fascinating stuff

I didn't feel this one. I have felt two before: The October 18, 2005 and June 23, 2010 earthquakes. The 2005 one occurred in southern Georgian Bay and was a 4.5 or 4.2. The June 2010 one was a big one for Quebec and Ontario and made a large splash in the news because Ottawa felt it real good. The worst hit town in QC had quite a lot of damage actually. Both felt like a large machine was just outside rumbling the ground and making stuff vibrate like desks and stuff on your walls. I never heard of or felt the 1998 one for us in Ontario.

Archived