• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
May Obs And Daily Disco

wxdude64

If the death ridge persists, not only will we have to deal with another 2010-2012, but we'll have to (again) deal with Judah Cohen talking about how awesome he is for calling for a warm summer.

May/June was hot last year and then took a pleasant turn in July/August so I'm hoping for a repeat... somehow. Much like last year, the rain is disappearing when we actually need it... grass is starting to burn up already.

No way to know the dominant summer pattern for a while but the ridging regime is more centered over the deep south in response to the troughing in the west. Not much to worry about and will prove easy to break down if the trough progresses eastward as advertised. If the ridge was stable and centered off the atl coast then it could be a sign of things to come.

Interestingly, the pv moving from the central arctic basin towards greenland does have some shades of last summer if that pattern were to persist into June/July. Any ridging in the west would = lower humidity and continental airmass intrusions in the east. I think humidity plays more of a role in how summer feels than just temps. 85/70 feels a lot worse than 90/60. We didn't get into the goods until july 4th weekend and beyond last year. May and June were pretty typical.

I really don't have many thoughts about summer one way or the other except for hoping that we don't get stuck in the quagmire of HHH for days on end.

• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like you just don't like summer. I would take this ANY day over the cold. Summer is awesome especially when it's not in the 90s. Great pool/beach weather, softball, picnic, convertible etc weather. without snow winter sucks. I don't like freezing my ass off wearing 3 layers and that's probably how most people think I would imagine.

May is not summer.  No, I will never be happy when the early May temps reach mid-July levels.  If this weather occurs in July, you will hear no complaints from me. I don't like summer, but i can deal so long as it's below 90F.  

May is not summer.  No, I will never be happy when the early May temps reach mid-July levels.  If this weather occurs in July, you will hear no complaints from me. I don't like summer, but i can deal so long as it's below 90F.  

i'm ok with these temps.  would i prefer mid to upper 70s?  probably.  but 80s definitely makes the pool/beach experience better when that time comes.  90s is when i need to start limiting my time outside which isn't fun, but even then, the fact that i can go shoot baskets outside for even a half hour and jump in a pool or cooling off with a cold beverage makes it better for me than being stuck inside with the heat on and having it be dark by 6pm.  after these last 2 very long winters, i'm pretty happy with what we have out there right now. 

i'm ok with these temps.  would i prefer mid to upper 70s?  probably.  but 80s definitely makes the pool/beach experience better when that time comes.  90s is when i need to start limiting my time outside which isn't fun, but even then, the fact that i can go shoot baskets outside for even a half hour and jump in a pool or cooling off with a cold beverage makes it better for me than being stuck inside with the heat on and having it be dark by 6pm.  after these last 2 very long winters, i'm pretty happy with what we have out there right now. 

I enjoyed the warm summer nights back in my b-ball playing youthful days.  The summer humidity made palming the ball easier.  I'm not exactly sure how / why, but an hour or 2 spent in the afternoon sun made me more energetic and limber in the evening.  I could count on an added inch or 2 to my vertical.  If I still played, I'd appreciate the summer a lot more.

Nice and cool down in Chesapeake beach. Temp rises fast soon as you drive a little ways away from the water. Storms in VA look like they want to head for DC. 72 on the water. 84 a 1/4 mile away from water.

The radar suggests some sort of front is pushing west approaching the 95 corridor now.  May something will pop when it and the storms out west collide.

I enjoyed the warm summer nights back in my b-ball playing youthful days.  The summer humidity made palming the ball easier.  I'm not exactly sure how / why, but an hour or 2 spent in the afternoon sun made me more energetic and limber in the evening.  I could count on an added inch or 2 to my vertical.  If I still played, I'd appreciate the summer a lot more.

agreed.  helps for indoors hoops as well.  better grip.  honestly, i appreciate winter...it completes the seasonal cycle, but i'd be ok with it being only a month long.  my mood increases when it's warmer out.  life opens up.  as someone who has hobbies which require dry courts/fields, this is the time of year i enjoy the most.  1, maybe 2 months of a reset is all i need.  the past 2 winters were close to 4 months of cold.  that's a lot of time to not spend being active outside doing the things i enjoy the most, so when we have days like this in May, i'm lovin' it.  if i wanted long winters, i'd move to new england.  to each his own though.

Meh thunder besides the one loud rumble a few mins ago... where are the real storms?

The one on the east side of the Beltway looks pretty good. Not like we had a lot going for us today. Just over a third of an inch here with some thunder and one good CG. I'll call that a win. DC looks like they might get in the game.

Archived