• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter: just can't compete with Maple Hollow.

eekuasepinniW

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Solid soaking with more rain moving in.

Had 1.64" in the Stratus Gauge this morning...looks like ApacheTrout took home the VT jack with 2.17" in Orwell.  J.Spin was close with 1.91".

Yeah, that was a good system, it’s nice to see that sort of thing as we head deeper into the snow season.

It’s almost November, so we can start to think about these things delivering some snow, especially for the mountains, but it looks like it’s going to take a while based on the current pattern – everything is just passing too far to the northwest.  It looks like the passage of this one does bring in enough cold air for some chances for flakes at elevation as the models have been showing for about a week or so:

29OCT15A.jpg

Beyond that, it looks like about another week before we have the chance to encounter something similar.

That sucks having to be out in those elements, I worked for years outdoors and had to deal with the rain, Use to wear a rain suit but would be just as wet from perspiring so would just take it off and deal with the elements, Dealing with snow, At least you would not get as wet unless it was a slop fest

Sent from my iPhone

Any day in the woods always beats a day in the office, and this was a good one, learning the latest about our old friend, spruce budworm, and what forest managers can do about it.  Caught a break from the wx, with drizzle for the 1st 2 hr then spotty drops which ended about noon, followed by PC with quite warm temps.  I did have to drive 35-40 for about 10 minutes on I-95 near the Lincoln exit due to a dense shower about 6 PM.  Very glad that particular cloud waited until we were out of the woods.

Edit:  Had 2.56" in the gauge when I got home.  I doubt HUL had more than an inch, as steady light-mod rain was the overnight recipe there.

Any day in the woods always beats a day in the office, and this was a good one, learning the latest about our old friend, spruce budworm, and what forest managers can do about it. Caught a break from the wx, with drizzle for the 1st 2 hr then spotty drops which ended about noon, followed by PC with quite warm temps. I did have to drive 35-40 for about 10 minutes on I-95 near the Lincoln exit due to a dense shower about 6 PM. Very glad that particular cloud waited until we were out of the woods.

Edit: Had 2.56" in the gauge when I got home. I doubt HUL had more than an inch, as steady light-mod rain was the overnight recipe there.

Had 2.50" here before the last shower late so have not checked the gauge again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looks like the passage of this one does bring in enough cold air for some chances for flakes at elevation as the models have been showing for about a week or so:

29OCT15A.jpg

As the clouds have been breaking up, I just looked out and saw that there appears to be some new snow out there at elevation – I’m guessing it’s in line with the forecast noted above.  It’s also possible that it’s rime, but with the precipitation we’ve been seeing, snow seems plausible.  PF, I’m guessing you’re not up there today or we probably would have heard.

There’s some more potential for snow this weekend as the forecast indicates, and then it’s still about a week out before anything else would be likely to show up.  The GFS shows some potential out in that timeframe, but that’s pretty far out.  Nothing dramatic showed up with respect to heights during that period in the ensembles I looked at, but I guess that’s in their nature anyway.  It should be fun to keep an eye on that mid-month period though.

As the clouds have been breaking up, I just looked out and saw that there appears to be some new snow out there at elevation – I’m guessing it’s in line with the forecast noted above.  It’s also possible that it’s rime, but with the precipitation we’ve been seeing, snow seems plausible.  PF, I’m guessing you’re not up there today or we probably would have heard.

There’s some more potential for snow this weekend as the forecast indicates, and then it’s still about a week out before anything else would be likely to show up.  The GFS shows some potential out in that timeframe, but that’s pretty far out.  Nothing dramatic showed up with respect to heights during that period in the ensembles I looked at, but I guess that’s in their nature anyway.  It should be fun to keep an eye on that mid-month period though.

I am not on-hill today, but from my vantage point it looks like rime.  No one on trail crew has mentioned accumulating snow but even at the Nosedive Glades they may not be high enough (speaking of which, I'm excited for the amount of clearing that's gone on in the ND Glades; they've been getting tighter in recent years).  The band of precipitation early this morning around 6-8am came in with temps 32-34F at the 4,000ft level, before rapidly dropping into the 20s.  My guess is there was wet snow or graupel with that, but again from my vantage in the base area, it looks like rime is what we are seeing (at least on the east side) and its very tight to the top of the ridgeline.

Gotta go out and kill the deer to make sure you still have testes?

An outdoors website on my FB feed showed a guy with a buck he shot. But instead of saying "so-and-so from Wherever with the 12-point buck he killed", the caption read "so-and-so from Wherever with the 12-point buck he harvested". I kinda laughed at the way they tried to soften the language a bit. But anyway ...

Gotta go out and kill the deer to make sure you still have testes?

An outdoors website on my FB feed showed a guy with a buck he shot. But instead of saying "so-and-so from Wherever with the 12-point buck he killed", the caption read "so-and-so from Wherever with the 12-point buck he harvested". I kinda laughed at the way they tried to soften the language a bit. But anyway ...

I guarantee that the carrots and tomatoes I harvest from my garden are gonna die, even if I don't kill them right away.

Neither saw nor heard deer this morning or evening (firewood duty between), but flushed 6 woodcock from an area perhaps 1/10 acre. They each flew off separately; would think their survival would be better if they all took off at once. (Of course, I'll not shoot at them with a .30-06 - would almost certainly miss, and if I did hit there would be nothing left of the poor timberdoodle but the beak.)

Ha, harvested. That's like calling deodorant "anti-perspirant." I did have a half beef/half venison burger once. It was good.

Eh...usually in nature it's survival of the fittest. With deer, the strong become dinner.

Or hood ornaments. Given how much habitat lost to development, the choice is firearms or fenders. (And that's not getting into the ecological effects of overpopulation. Deer herbivory has caused major issues in many mid-Atlantic areas - less so as one gets past central Maine. In the North, winter is the pop control.)

Or hood ornaments. Given how much habitat lost to development, the choice is firearms or fenders. (And that's not getting into the ecological effects of overpopulation. Deer herbivory has caused major issues in many mid-Atlantic areas - less so as one gets past central Maine. In the North, winter is the pop control.)

Wait, are we still talking about deer?

Because I'm pretty sure that's my exact reasoning for never applying to CAR.

I am not on-hill today, but from my vantage point it looks like rime.  No one on trail crew has mentioned accumulating snow but even at the Nosedive Glades they may not be high enough (speaking of which, I'm excited for the amount of clearing that's gone on in the ND Glades; they've been getting tighter in recent years).  The band of precipitation early this morning around 6-8am came in with temps 32-34F at the 4,000ft level, before rapidly dropping into the 20s.  My guess is there was wet snow or graupel with that, but again from my vantage in the base area, it looks like rime is what we are seeing (at least on the east side) and its very tight to the top of the ridgeline.

Thanks for the details PF – whether snow or rime, it was really pretty in the afternoon from the west side in BTV.  That’s fantastic news about the Nosedive Glades – that is pretty much a staple for my school program crew (as well as the family); variations in there are often taken as our default run when we’re not sure what to do and/or want to check out general upper mountain conditions in protected areas.

Decent shallow inversion this morning. Low was ~40F here and at Salisbury (~600-650ft), but deeper in the river valleys in was low to mid 30s (35F winni river, 31F suncook river, 32F KCON). Higher up Gunstock and Newbury were mid-upper 40s. So there was a good 15F inversion over about 1kft.

Decent shallow inversion this morning. Low was ~40F here and at Salisbury (~600-650ft), but deeper in the river valleys in was low to mid 30s (35F winni river, 31F suncook river, 32F KCON). Higher up Gunstock and Newbury were mid-upper 40s. So there was a good 15F inversion over about 1kft.

The last vestiges of cold air pooling in the lowest depressions of NH/ME, haha.

Over here the low was 51F at MVL and 49F at MPV due to clouds and wind. It got colder with height rather than inverted.

Archived