• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter: just can't compete with Maple Hollow.

eekuasepinniW

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From BTV this afternoon:

SNOW ACCUMULATIONS WILL VARY GREATLY DEPENDING UPON

ELEVATION...BUT THINKING BY SUNDAY MORNING SUMMITS OF THE GREENS

FROM SUGARBUSH TO MANSFIELD TO JAY PEAK WILL SEE AROUND 6 INCHES

ALONG WITH THE UPSLOPE AREAS OF THE NORTHERN DACKS ABOVE 3500

FEET. MEANWHILE...2 TO 4 INCHES IS LIKELY IN THE MIDSLOPE AREAS

AND A DUSTING TO 2 INCHES ABOVE 1000 FEET BY SUNDAY MORNING IN THE

FAVORABLE UPSLOPE REGIONS. LITTLE ACCUMULATION IS EXPECTED IN THE

VALLEYS AT THIS TIME.

They didn't change the verbiage since early this morning.  That's the same thing Taber wrote at 3:30am.

Personally given what the ECMWF and GFS had at 12z, some accumulation is likely but I'd lean more like 2-3" at the summits.

I'm stoked for the final weekend of summer operations at the resort...can't wait to check the Toll Road for snow/ice early Saturday and Sunday mornings, haha.  Might be time to break out the chains for the four-wheelers.

Looks like SR going to try to open Monday

Today at Sunday River

Huzzah!

The day you've been waiting for since May 2 is finally here:  Opening Day of the 2015-16 winter season is planned for Monday, October 19.

Nobody makes snow like Sunday River, and every year we open as early as we can.  With a few days of cold weather on the horizon our snowmaking team thinks they can pull it off by Monday.  All plans will depend on weather and snow conditions so make sure to check in right here for updates over the next few days, but our planned schedule will be to open for the day on Monday then move to our regular early-season lift operations of weekends-only until mid-November.

Expected terrain for Monday will be the T2 trail on upper Locke Mountain, serviced by the Locke Mountain Triple with mid-station loading.  The lift will spin from 9am to 4pm, with the last upload from the base at 3pm.  Lift tickets will be $29 and available at Barker Lodge along with other skier services.

From BTV this afternoon:

SNOW ACCUMULATIONS WILL VARY GREATLY DEPENDING UPON

ELEVATION...BUT THINKING BY SUNDAY MORNING SUMMITS OF THE GREENS

FROM SUGARBUSH TO MANSFIELD TO JAY PEAK WILL SEE AROUND 6 INCHES

ALONG WITH THE UPSLOPE AREAS OF THE NORTHERN DACKS ABOVE 3500

FEET. MEANWHILE...2 TO 4 INCHES IS LIKELY IN THE MIDSLOPE AREAS

AND A DUSTING TO 2 INCHES ABOVE 1000 FEET BY SUNDAY MORNING IN THE

FAVORABLE UPSLOPE REGIONS. LITTLE ACCUMULATION IS EXPECTED IN THE

VALLEYS AT THIS TIME.

And so it begins.

Looks like SR going to try to open Monday

Today at Sunday River

Huzzah!

The day you've been waiting for since May 2 is finally here: Opening Day of the 2015-16 winter season is planned for Monday, October 19.

Nobody makes snow like Sunday River, and every year we open as early as we can. With a few days of cold weather on the horizon our snowmaking team thinks they can pull it off by Monday. All plans will depend on weather and snow conditions so make sure to check in right here for updates over the next few days, but our planned schedule will be to open for the day on Monday then move to our regular early-season lift operations of weekends-only until mid-November.

Expected terrain for Monday will be the T2 trail on upper Locke Mountain, serviced by the Locke Mountain Triple with mid-station loading. The lift will spin from 9am to 4pm, with the last upload from the base at 3pm. Lift tickets will be $29 and available at Barker Lodge along with other skier services.

Got the same email. I was like, already???

My coldest October temp here since 2006 is 22F back on 10/29/13. MEX has 21F for CON and 25F for LCI right now. Usually I fall smack dab in the middle of the two. Time to kill the vegetation.

Recorded 14 on that date.  Bottom of October at my cold pocket is 12, on 10/31/2002.  That '02 stretch was by far my coldest for mid-autumn - minima for 10/30 thru 11/4 were 19, 12, 26, 14, 8, 11.  On 11/2/2002, Farmington's high of 29 was their earliest autumn sub-30 max on record, data back thru 1893.

First snowfall map from BTV of the season...

15OCT15A.jpg

Excellent, thanks for getting that up.  It doesn’t look like temperatures are going to be much of an issue based on a quick look at the Mansfield graphical point and click graphical forecast:

15OCT15B.jpg

I suspect there are plenty of riders getting those junkboards and rock skis ready for whatever happens, but even at a minimum I’m sure they’ll be happy to just hike in the snow.

BTV still with awesome AFD's...now even telling us when the best photo taking will be.  I remember last year they told us to bust out the rock skis for early season turns.  Half the time I'm thinking this is exactly what I want to know, its like they write these things for me.

MONDAY SHOULD OFFER THE BEST CHANCE FOR SOME PHOTOGRAPHY OF SNOW
IN MOUNTAINS ABOVE THE FOLIAGE
AS ONCE THE UPPER LEVEL TROUGH
CLEARS THE AREA WE SHOULD BE LOOKING AT ONLY PARTLY CLOUD SKIES
ALLOWING THE SUN TO LIGHT UP ANY POTENTIAL SNOW STILL ON THE
MOUNTAIN SUMMITS.
THE GOOD, OR BAD, NEWS DEPENDING ON YOUR LOVE
OF WINTER IS THAT BY MONDAY EVENING THE FLOW ALOFT WILL GO ZONAL
AND TEMPS ARE EXPECTED TO MODERATE TUESDAY AND WEDNESDAY BACK TO
NEAR NORMAL TEMPS IN THE MID 50S WITH MOSTLY QUIET WEATHER
EXPECTED INTO THE MID WEEK.

Nice! I'm hoping we see something down here in the valley in the near future... but it's nice to know it's coming, either way! Work just officially approved my 2-day work remotely request, so I'm now officially spending more time in NNE than SNE...  :icecream:

First snow this afternoon at Stowe.

There's a vid on the FB page:

Facebook.com/stowemountainresort

Some frozen super fine grain stuff was spitting out in Burlington 20 mins ago. Pinged off my down vest.

Yeah we had some of that earlier today at least down to the office at 1,500ft...pinging off the jacket.

Precipitation today started out as graupel and pellets, and that actually gave us most of the small accumulation as those things fall fast and accumulate faster than they can melt on the warm ground.  The graupel eventually changed to all flakes and then tapered to flurries.

First seasonal accumulation on the picnic tables.

I was just thinking about our weather in general over the past many months down in my area of Central New England.  From the lay persons view what a great stretch of endless great weather. Warm, dry and its goes on and on. Great for the general population and outdoor activites.  Tourist bureaus must love it.  However from a weather enthusiast point of view what a long,long  boring stretch of little to talk about.  Looks like it could be a mild and dry winter too.  

For those of you north of me enjoy the first upslope and cool shot of the season. Something to make the weekend a bit "fun" weatherwise. Just ran the GFS forward and maybe 150 hours out could be the next chance of anything happening.

I went up the Bolton Road this morning and caught some snow. It started as graupel and became pure snow a little before 9am. It then coated the ground up there. I will post some leaves with snow shots later on. Here is an Instagram of when the coating began at 2000ft:

12096252_10102923980865819_2971089068894

I went up the Bolton Road this morning and caught some snow. It started as graupel and became pure snow a little before 9am. It then coated the ground up there. I will post some leaves with snow shots later on. Here is an Instagram of when the coating began at 2000ft:

12096252_10102923980865819_2971089068894

Nice job heading to the snow eyewall.  We were pretty close to snow even down here in the valley last night – temperature was 37 F when I checked and we had precipitation that you could tell was pretty borderline.  We’ll be on the lookout for anything as we head through the weekend because even our valley forecast has got flakes in it now:

17OCT15A.jpg

Archived