• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Winter: just can't compete with Maple Hollow.

eekuasepinniW

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was just checking the models and local forecasts, and flakes could be in the air as we head toward the end of the week and get that potential frontal passage from the northwest.  There’s also a possible reinforcing shot of cold on Sunday as well:

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT

358 AM EDT MON OCT 5 2015

.LONG TERM /WEDNESDAY NIGHT THROUGH SUNDAY/...

ON THURSDAY EVENING THE CONSENSUS OF THE MODELS IS THAT A WELL DEVELOPED FRONTAL SYSTEM WILL BE TRACKING TOWARDS THE REGION FROM THE GREAT LAKES REGION. THE 00Z SUITE OF GUIDANCE OFFERS A BIT LESS RUN TO RUN CONSISTENCY COMPARED TO THE 12Z DATA FROM YESTERDAY. TIMING FROM THE GFS OFFERS A STRONGER MORE PROGRESSIVE SYSTEM TRACKING THROUGH MORE LATE THURSDAY NIGHT INTO FRIDAY MORNING WHEREAS THE EURO WASHES THE FRONT OUT ALMOST AND BRINGS A SLOW MOVING FRONT THROUGH IN THE LATE AFTERNOON ON FRIDAY. GIVEN THE FRONTAL SYSTEM WILL BE APPROACHING FROM THE NORTHWEST I ANTICIPATE AMOUNT OF AVAILABLE MOISTURE WILL BE QUITE A BIT LESS THAN THE DETERMINISTIC GFS AND THUS THE STRENGTH OF THE FRONT IS A BIT OVERDONE FROM A PRECIP PERSPECTIVE BUT I THINK THE TIMING IS PRETTY GOOD. THE FORECAST IS A BLEND OF THE GLOBAL SUITE WITH A HIGHER WEIGHT TOWARDS THE MORE PROGRESSIVE GFS SOLUTION FOR TIMING. THAT LEADS TO A QUIET DAY ON SATURDAY AHEAD OF A SECOND FRONT DROPPING OUT OF QUEBEC WITH THE PARENT LOW LOCATED JUST EAST OF THE HUDSON BAY. THAT SECOND FRONT WILL BRING STRONG COLD AIR ADVECTION AND POTENTIALLY BRING WIDESPREAD COLD TEMPS TO THE AREA SUNDAY EVENING.

TEMPS THROUGH THE PERIOD WILL REMAIN SLIGHTLY BELOW SEASONABLE NORMALS WITH MAX TEMPS THROUGH THE EXTENDED IN THE MID TO UPPER 50S. OVERNIGHT LOWS WILL BE 5-7 DEGREES BELOW NORMALS THROUGH THE  PERIOD WITH LOWS EXPECTED IN THE MID TO UPPER 30S IN ELEVATIONS  LESS THAN 1500 FEET AND NEAR 30 IN THE HIGHER PEAKS OF BOTH THE GREENS AND ADIRONDACKS.

The automated point forecast does have the temperatures below freezing on Mansfield with precipitation in the area, but that’s it at this point.  It will depend on temperatures and timing as is typical this time of year, but snow is certainly appearing the in Mt Washington point forecast:

Friday Night

A 50 percent chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 29. Strong and damaging winds.

Saturday

Mostly sunny, with a high near 39. Strong and damaging winds.

Saturday Night

Partly cloudy, with a low around 29. Windy.

Sunday

A 30 percent chance of snow showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 39. Windy.

29° this morning. Remote start on the car is nice, no scraping.

I'm going to invest in one of those this winter...unfortunately it will go in my wife's car, lol. Her Jetta (gas not diesel ha, ha) only has 60,000 miles vs my 208,000 mile truck, so I may just wait till I get a new vehicle next winter.

Looks like MVL back home had a low of 32F this morning and 31F yesterday.

Gotta imagine the growing season is really done now.

I'm going to invest in one of those this winter...unfortunately it will go in my wife's car, lol. Her Jetta (gas not diesel ha, ha) only has 60,000 miles vs my 208,000 mile truck, so I may just wait till I get a new vehicle next winter.

Looks like MVL back home had a low of 32F this morning and 31F yesterday.

Gotta imagine the growing season is really done now.

I bought a "new" 2012 Chevy Malibu this past July.  It was one of the options that came with when it was new.  Between that and the satellite radio, it's like having a luxury car to me.  

Northfield, NH

September 2015

Averages

Max: 74.8°F (+5.8°F)

Min: 52.1°F (+3.6°F)

Mean: 63.5°F (+4.7°F)

Extremes

HiMax: 87.6°F (9th)

LoMin: 34.6°F (27th)

LoMax: 61.6°F (25th)

HiMin: 68.4°F (8th)

Precipitation

Total: 7.80"

MaxDaily: 4.52" (30th)

Snowfall

Total: 0.0"

MaxDaily: 0.0" (---)

Snow Depth

SnowDD: 0

AvgDepth: 0"

MaxDepth: 0" (---)

MinDepth: 0" (---)

Wind

PeakGust: 22mph (20th)

MaxDaily: 2.7mph (20th)

Max Temps

90.0s 0

80.0s 10

70.0s 11

60.0s 9

50.0s 0

40.0s 0

30.0s 0

20.0s 0

10.0s 0

0.0s 0

-0.0s 0

Min Temps

70.0s 0

60.0s 3

50.0s 16

40.0s 7

30.0s 4

20.0s 0

10.0s 0

0.0s 0

-0.0s 0

-10.0s 0

-20.0s 0

Precipitation

>= 0.01" 9

>= 0.10" 5

>= 0.25" 4

>= 0.50" 4

>= 1.00" 2

Snowfall

>= 0.1" 0

>= 1.0" 0

>= 3.0" 0

>= 6.0" 0

>= 12.0" 0

Bright Sunshine (>= 600w/m^2)

AvgMonthly: 3.7hrs

MaxDaily: 5.9hrs (5th)

Northfield, NH
September 2015

Averages
Max:  74.8°F (+5.8°F)
Min:  52.1°F (+3.6°F)
Mean: 63.5°F (+4.7°F)

Extremes
HiMax:  87.6°F (9th)
LoMin:  34.6°F (27th)
LoMax:  61.6°F (25th)
HiMin:  68.4°F (8th)

Precipitation
Total:    7.80"
MaxDaily: 4.52" (30th)

Snowfall
Total:     0.0"
MaxDaily:  0.0" (---)

Snow Depth
SnowDD:    0
AvgDepth:  0"
MaxDepth:  0" (---)
MinDepth:  0" (---)

Wind
PeakGust:  22mph (20th)
MaxDaily: 2.7mph (20th)

Max Temps
 90.0s  0
 80.0s 10
 70.0s 11
 60.0s  9
 50.0s  0
 40.0s  0
 30.0s  0
 20.0s  0
 10.0s  0
  0.0s  0
 -0.0s  0

Min Temps
 70.0s  0
 60.0s  3
 50.0s 16
 40.0s  7
 30.0s  4
 20.0s  0
 10.0s  0
  0.0s  0
 -0.0s  0
-10.0s  0
-20.0s  0

Precipitation
>= 0.01"  9
>= 0.10"  5
>= 0.25"  4
>= 0.50"  4
>= 1.00"  2

Snowfall
>=  0.1"  0
>=  1.0"  0
>=  3.0"  0
>=  6.0"  0
>= 12.0"  0

Bright Sunshine (>= 600w/m^2)
AvgMonthly: 3.7hrs
MaxDaily:   5.9hrs (5th)

Did you ever hit 90 this year? I never did up at the cabin, but 17 times here in Lowell

MWN reporting AURBO. Bz negative but otherwise parameters don't seem to scream northern lights.

400km/s and prolonged -5bz/5bt is borderline G1 worthy.  If MWN is seeing anything, my guess is the next update of the Kp index will be a 5.  

There is a really nice coronal hole in an absolutely perfect position that should give us some activity in 2-3 days btw.

400km/s and prolonged -5bz/5bt is borderline G1 worthy.  If MWN is seeing anything, my guess is the next update of the Kp index will be a 5.  

There is a really nice coronal hole in an absolutely perfect position that should give us some activity in 2-3 days btw.

Midnight shifts FTW?!

Hi VT peeps. My wife and I were thinking of going to Quebec Cit this weekend, but I noticed the Killington ski swap is this weekend. Stayed in Killington several years ago, but looking for suggestions of B&B and/or cabin? I know it's last minute and figure it'll be packed with folliage. thanks.

I honestly have no idea about Killington area lodging...wish I could be of more help dude.

I got a chuckle out of this. (time sensitive through the rest of the day)

Right at the beginning of yesterday's time lapse you can see a raccoon climb up one of my pear trees, shake the branches, and then collect the pears from off the ground. Northfield raccoons are no dummies.

http://www.newenglandwx.com/cam/dailymovie.htm

Even the moose must suffer from SAD up there.

Speaking of moose, I know you guys in Maine deal with this a lot more but a driver was killed on RT 2 in Bolton, VT when their car hit a moose.

We don't get a ton of that in this area because the moose tend to avoid the BTV-MPV corridor due to highest traffic rates in VT. I used to drive that road daily, and I know JSpin probably does as well.

http://www.wcax.com/story/30202842/fatal-accident-involving-moose-in-bolton

NNE photogs.... I'm in the market for a new camera body. I am curious what you shoot with. I'd like to stay with Canon and I'm looking for something that excels at sports/action and low lighting/higher ISO.

From what I've read online, I'm leaning towards the Canon 7D Mark II...up to 10 fps and on a lot of photography forums seems to be the go-to choice for high action and low lighting that is under $2000 for the body.

Anyone have any opinions? It's a big financial jump to go up to the 5D. I also looked at the 70D, which takes incredible high-def video but that's not as important to me.

NNE photogs.... I'm in the market for a new camera body. I am curious what you shoot with. I'd like to stay with Canon and I'm looking for something that excels at sports/action and low lighting/higher ISO.

From what I've read online, I'm leaning towards the Canon 7D Mark II...up to 10 fps and on a lot of photography forums seems to be the go-to choice for high action and low lighting that is under $2000 for the body.

Anyone have any opinions? It's a big financial jump to go up to the 5D. I also looked at the 70D, which takes incredible high-def video but that's not as important to me.

I am of little help as I just use a Canon Powershot- $100 or so.  It is not a high end camera and can't have added lenses but it is compact and takes nice pictures for the money.  For me having something that I can just throw in my pocket for use at anytime is a huge bonus as I do not have a cell phone camera.  (we have no service here).  I imagine Eyewall, lava rock, or Borderwx may be much more helpful

Archived