• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter: just can't compete with Maple Hollow.

eekuasepinniW

Awesome Eyewall!

Just checked the gauge and up to 0.69" storm total here. We'll see what tonight brings. Looks like there's a chance for one more round of heavy rain. Picked up a solid 0.4" in the past 90 minutes.

Nice! Not sure how much BTV logged.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

.3" on the gauge from Sat nt/Sun morn, thought it was over when we left for CT at 3:30pm. Drove head on into insane amounts of rain at the MA/CT border on I-91, almost had to pull off. Just arrived back home and WOW, another 1.5" in the gauge...we are slowly coming out of D0.

Hope the rest of NE got a good soak too. 

Greg   

Looks like MWN had some graupel.

I was wondering about that...with freezing levels over here of 6.5-7kft, I was wondering if frozen would make it to the summit of MWN. 

It was mid-40s and raining at the summit of MMNV1 this morning, and just had that feel that it was about 10F away from wet snow.  If only Mansfield was 2kft higher... that always blows me away.  Mansfield seems like a "big" mountain when you are up there.  But MWN just dwarfs everything else.  That extra 2,000ft of elevation takes it up a whole another level.

I was wondering about that...with freezing levels over here of 6.5-7kft, I was wondering if frozen would make it to the summit of MWN. 

It was mid-40s and raining at the summit of MMNV1 this morning, and just had that feel that it was about 10F away from wet snow.  If only Mansfield was 2kft higher... that always blows me away.  Mansfield seems like a "big" mountain when you are up there.  But MWN just dwarfs everything else.  That extra 2,000ft of elevation takes it up a whole another level.

Only place close to MWN wx might be Katahdin, 1,000' lower but over 100 miles farther north.  That 1,000' might make more difference in wind than in precip/snow.

I have seen that in ASOS before. Big difference in what causes each ptype despite something thinking every little ball of frozen is sleet. 

Well all of those obs are manned so that's the head scratcher. Must be a noob.

Edit:

Totally missed this one at 5z.

METAR KMWN 140453Z 25029KT 1/16SM TS RA FG VV001 06/06 RMK PK WND 27044/30 WSHFT

22 DZE00SHGSB34E38 TSB17 TS OHD MOV NE PRESRR =

Well all of those obs are manned so that's the head scratcher. Must be a noob.

Edit:

Totally missed this one at 5z.

METAR KMWN 140453Z 25029KT 1/16SM TS RA FG VV001 06/06 RMK PK WND 27044/30 WSHFT

22 DZE00SHGSB34E38 TSB17 TS OHD MOV NE PRESRR =

That is a nice ob.

Looks like the final NW cyclonic flow showers have ended so my storm total from this cut-off event will be 1.64".

A nice long duration soaking with the first rain drops about 48 hours ago.  Models did a good job with this one I thought...there are a ton of reports from NY State of 2-5" of rainfall in the past 2 days, with 1-3" across Vermont. 

From BTV's Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/NWSBurlington

Another clear and warm mid-September day is on tap for the North Country. And as most of you are aware, the first half of September has been a warm one: in fact, at a 71.8 degree average temperature, it's the second-warmest Sept 1st through 15th on record, bested only by Sept 1-15th, 1947.

12039205_931063490298886_374196393767416

Having second thought about overseeding lawn. Looks dry through early next week with maybe a shower sunday night. I don't want to seed much later then end of the month. Would be nice to get some steady rain late next week or following to charge the ground water levels. Pretty risky I think to water a bunch of lawn off the well without much rain in sight.

Having second thought about overseeding lawn. Looks dry through early next week with maybe a shower sunday night. I don't want to seed much later then end of the month. Would be nice to get some steady rain late next week or following to charge the ground water levels. Pretty risky I think to water a bunch of lawn off the well without much rain in sight.

End of Sept will be pushing it for your area, especially with the lowering sun angle and the shade on your property. It's tough when your trying to time it with a weeks worth of synoptic rain...you will be waiting and waiting and then it's Halloween..... unless you believe the GFS for the end of the month.

End of Sept will be pushing it for your area, especially with the lowering sun angle and the shade on your property. It's tough when your trying to time it with a weeks worth of synoptic rain...you will be waiting and waiting and then it's Halloween..... unless you believe the GFS for the end of the month.

I seeded end of first week in October last year and was OK. If this warmth keeps up we should be OK, but its the lack of water I'm concerned about.

Archived