• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter: just can't compete with Maple Hollow.

eekuasepinniW

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those are some heavy rainers out there this afternoon. I'm seeing some PWS stations in eastern New York and parts of south/central VT with up to 1.80" as those moved through.

Was playing in a golf tournament this afternoon and storms were blowing up just to our south. Heard quite a bit of thunder but never saw a drop of rain before I left the course at 2:30. Been fringed at home too. Lots of thunder with the stuff off to the south.

Total from yesterday's storms .04". Only rain we got was a decaying stratus rain shield from the Vermont storms. Anyone get less than me?

It never rained up here, so I got less. Haha.

Been a dry month so far with only 1.91" at my location. Lots of 0.1-0.3" stuff, but luckily the synoptic rain on Tuesday left just about an inch.

A group of us spent the weekend at Baxter State Park. On Saturday we hiked up Katahdin via the Cathedral Trail from Chimney Pond. The trail is 90% bouldering for the 1.7 mile ascent up to Baxter Peak. Exhausting day, but incredible scenery. The forecast said cloudy with 50% chance of rain with thunder, but we lucked out with partly cloudy and dry. We did get enveloped in fog right at the summit and heard a disconcerting rumble of thunder but we remained dry and got off the trail before dark. Successful trip!

20150816_063955_zpstugmlwpz.jpg

20150815_125012_zpsy8exrkcd.jpg

20150815_143608_20150817091857013_zpsfb9

IMG_20150817_094624_zps64i6bfml.jpg

Max 86.1

Mehing our way to above normal.

CON with an hourly of 92F so there's a chance they tickled 93F. I don't understand how I've been able to be so much cooler than them this Summer. I should go by the airport tomorrow and see if the fields are dead and brown. Did they find anything up with the ASOS Chris?

In my area...Sanbornton RWIS hit 85 and Winni River site (200ft lower in "downtown") hit 88. I do have a heavily forested area to my west so any westerly flow puts me downwind of that shade. I obviously can't help that though.

A group of us spent the weekend at Baxter State Park. On Saturday we hiked up Katahdin via the Cathedral Trail from Chimney Pond. The trail is 90% bouldering for the 1.7 mile ascent up to Baxter Peak. Exhausting day, but incredible scenery. The forecast said cloudy with 50% chance of rain with thunder, but we lucked out with partly cloudy and dry. We did get enveloped in fog right at the summit and heard a disconcerting rumble of thunder but we remained dry and got off the trail before dark. Successful trip!

20150816_063955_zpstugmlwpz.jpg

20150815_125012_zpsy8exrkcd.jpg

20150815_143608_20150817091857013_zpsfb9

IMG_20150817_094624_zps64i6bfml.jpg

good times

Max 86.1

CON with an hourly of 92F so there's a chance they tickled 93F. I don't understand how I've been able to be so much cooler than them this Summer. I should go by the airport tomorrow and see if the fields are dead and brown. Did they find anything up with the ASOS Chris?

In my area...Sanbornton RWIS hit 85 and Winni River site (200ft lower in "downtown") hit 88. I do have a heavily forested area to my west so any westerly flow puts me downwind of that shade. I obviously can't help that though.

Looks like at least 89F at 750ft up here at MVL, maybe 90F in between obs.

Here's what we look like around here at elevation:

4,000ft...74F (MMNV1)

2,100ft...81F

1,500ft...86F 

1,200ft...85F (MPV)

750ft...89F (MVL)

300ft...89F (BTV)

MVL was toasty today, but it fits my rule of add 15-degrees to the summit high temp to get the valley high temp 3,000ft below. 

If I look at the stations at various elevations, the 2,100ft Bolton station seems like it should be more like 83-84F if we mix down from 4,000ft.  The 86F at 1,500ft matches the 74F at 4,000ft nicely, with a 12F/2,500ft lapse rate.  MPV seems cooler than it should've been with the higher elevation temps.  BTV probably hit 90F or higher between observations.

If we do a normal dry adiabatic lapse rate, we'd get the following temperatures mixing down from 4,000ft...

4,000ft...74.0F

2,100ft...83.5F

1,500ft...86.5F 

1,200ft...88.0F

750ft...90.3F

300ft...92.5F

Max 86.1

I haven't heard that they found anything. It's possible they just didn't say anything to me though, since I'm on mids I tend to miss those announcements sometimes.

I need to make that trip.

My soon-to-be father-in-law wants to hike it (but that may just be to push me off the knife's edge :cliff: ).

Archived