• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Winter: just can't compete with Maple Hollow.

eekuasepinniW

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

April 2015

Averages

Max: 53.3°F (-0.9°F)

Min: 33.0°F (-0.3°F)

Mean: 43.1°F (-0.6°F)

Extremes

HiMax: 70.4°F (13th)

LoMin: 19.7°F (2nd)

LoMax: 35.8°F (9th)

HiMin: 45.2°F (30th)

Precipitation

Total: 2.59"

MaxDaily: 0.96" (20th)

Snowfall

Total: 2.7"

MaxDaily: 2.7" (8th)

Snow Depth

SnowDD: 94

AvgDepth: 3"

MaxDepth: 10" (1st-2nd)

MinDepth: 0" (15th+)

Wind

PeakGust: 30mph (11th)

MaxDaily: 4.8mph (27th)

Max Temps

90s 0

80s 0

70s 1

60s 10

50s 6

40s 11

30s 2

20s 0

10s 0

0s 0

-0s 0

Min Temps

70s 0

60s 0

50s 0

40s 6

30s 15

20s 8

10s 1

0s 0

-0s 0

-10s 0

-20s 0

Precipitation

>= 0.01" 10

>= 0.10" 5

>= 0.25" 4

>= 0.50" 2

>= 1.00" 0

Snowfall

>= 0.1" 1

>= 1.0" 1

>= 3.0" 0

>= 6.0" 0

>= 12.0" 0

Our 230 year old house has an old orchard.  We have bluebirds everywhere.  That's my favorite bird.  I had never seen one when I lived in the Boston area.

I've never seen a bluebird here...did see my first indigo bunting last year though.

Ironically I saw a female rose breasted grosbeak this evening eating suet. The male must be around.

I've never seen a bluebird.

Did see an indigo bunting probably 20+ years ago.

I have an ample supply of gold and purple finches, titmouses, nuthatches, cardinals, chickadees, two song sparrows, and 8 glorious white throated sparrows.

Along with obnoxious bluejays that I wish would go away.

That eagle I posted about a while back has definitely set up home base around here... you can spot him nearly every day.

I've never seen a bluebird.

Did see an indigo bunting probably 20+ years ago.

I have an ample supply of gold and purple finches, titmouses, nuthatches, cardinals, chickadees, two song sparrows, and 8 glorious white throated sparrows.

Along with obnoxious bluejays that I wish would go away.

That eagle I posted about a while back has definitely set up home base around here... you can spot him nearly every day.

I've had a crapload of juncos since winter...never really had them much before.

Had a male and female cowbird a few weeks ago too. I miss my orioles.

I've had a crapload of juncos since winter...never really had them much before.

Had a male and female cowbird a few weeks ago too. I miss my orioles.

Oh I forgot about my juncos.  And my tiny chipping sparrow.  And some downy woodpeckers and one seldom seen pileated.

I have two unidentified birds too... one of them has a pleasant song, but it's so INSANELY loud.

I saw my first oriole several years back and ran out and bought a feeder.  Ungrateful bird flew from treetop to treetop for days but never had any interest, then he left, never to be seen again.

My 4 hummingbirds will be back to feed fight endlessly soon.  Usually notice them around mothers day.

bird chat is so much better than ski chat.

we need a bird thread.

I once hit a hiding grouse while skiing. In the glades I was skiing through and some bird launched straight up like a helicopter and hit my arm. Scared the crap out out of me. Pretty funny in hindsight.

I once hit a hiding grouse while skiing. In the glades I was skiing through and some bird launched straight up like a helicopter and hit my arm. Scared the crap out out of me. Pretty funny in hindsight.

lol. 

I didn't know it at the time, but it was a grouse that freaked me out after I had walked down some logging road up in pittsburg.  I had no idea about grouse "drumming" or that a bird could even make such a deep sound.  I didn't want to meet the creature that made that noise, so I promptly headed back to my car.

we host a pair of hummingbirds, should be around soon

I get a ton of hummingbirds...probably have 6-8 with lollies to 12. I need a 2nd feeder because 3 or 4 of them will fight over it at the same time, but rarely ever land and feed on it together. They may be more territorial than red squirrels.

Oh I forgot about my juncos. And my tiny chipping sparrow. And some downy woodpeckers and one seldom seen pileated.

I have two unidentified birds too... one of them has a pleasant song, but it's so INSANELY loud.

I saw my first oriole several years back and ran out and bought a feeder. Ungrateful bird flew from treetop to treetop for days but never had any interest, then he left, never to be seen again.

My 4 hummingbirds will be back to feed fight endlessly soon. Usually notice them around mothers day.

I had some yellow bird the other day. My New England audubon book puts the closest match as some kind of warbler. I had my first northern flicker and redbellied woodpeckers last year. We get the downy, hairy, and pileated ones often.

Saw a purple finch the other day which is rare for me. We have a ton of goldies and occasional house finches, but true purples I've seldom to see. I had red-winged blackbirds on my feeders last week, but they've since left.

Happy belated May day NNE.  Mother nature is on board with green up day, valley coming along quickly now and the  mts holding snow better than I have seen it any spring I have been year (16 now). Girls are back to roaming their pastures.

DSCN0526.jpg

Last bit of ice on Lake Memphremagog burning off, 5/1/15...

DSCN0525.jpg

I took another swing by my land yesterday evening and there's a few patches of snow left in addition to the piles on the side of the road. Lately it seems like I've been finding pretty much any excuse to take a trip there and check the progress of the snow melt. Patches of snow pack is quite amazing for May 1, but it looks like the patches will be gone in the next day or two. It was a fast melt in the last 5 days as there was still solid cover with 4-8" on average on April 26th and 25" on April 10th. That snow goes quick once it gets ripe. There's no sign of any leaf out and the red maples haven't even flowered yet above 2K. Grass is still brown, and at this rate they may not leaf out until close to Memorial Day.

post-48-0-83794800-1430578405_thumb.jpg

post-48-0-16407700-1430578443_thumb.jpg

Nice. I'll have to get my feeders up tomorrow.

I also solved the mystery of the ridiculously loud songbird from a while ago... it was a carolina wren. Someone described it as having the most decibels per gram of weight.

Soon the songs and hymns of Harley Davidsons will be in the air.

freezing 63.7 way up here.

I should move south.

We were up there briefly yesterday. We were at the Winnisquam Agway and had a little time before Lisa had to work so we took a quick drive to the Weirs. If we had more time we would've stopped by. Anyways, you could really feel the difference being down on the docks versus the boulevard. And yes...lots of motorcycles already.

Archived