• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter: just can't compete with Maple Hollow.

eekuasepinniW

I was enjoying the mild weather until yesterday's snowmaking.... now I want snow again.  I love the energy in town and at the mountain when the snow guns start up.  Even the guy at the gas station that doesn't ski is talking about it.  Everyone could see it for miles and miles, best advertising there is. 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

October snow totals from CoCoRAHS... will be interesting to see how long we wait before adding to this.

04NOV15A.jpg

Following up on this one again, I realized that I hadn’t posted the October totals for our site, so here they are:

1.7” snow/4.08” liquid

So snowfall for the month was a bit above average, but total liquid was a couple inches low.  Total liquid for the calendar year through October was 41.87”, which is about four inches on the lean side.

Well, as of this morning’s BTV AFD, things continue to look interesting for the weekend – it’s nice when the experts start discussing “potent, vertically stacked lows”, “favorable conditions developing for upslope”, and “several inches of snow”.  There’s snow even in our valley forecast, so that certainly a good sign for the higher elevations.

.LONG TERM /THURSDAY NIGHT THROUGH MONDAY/...

AS OF 246 AM EST TUESDAY...UNSETTLED BUT SEASONAL CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED DURING THE EXTENDED FORECAST PERIOD FROM THURSDAY NIGHT THROUGH MONDAY NIGHT. POTENT VERTICALLY STACKED LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM CENTERED OVER THE GREAT LAKES THURSDAY NIGHT WILL BE THE PRIMARY WEATHER MAKER FOR THE NORTH COUNTRY THROUGH THE WEEKEND AS IT SLOWLY SHIFTS NORTHEASTWARD THROUGH SOUTHERN ONTARIO/QUEBEC. ATTENDING WARM FRONT SHIFTS NORTH OF THE INTL BORDER THURSDAY NIGHT WITH A MID-LEVEL DRY SLOT BRINGING A BRIEF BREAK IN PRECIP ON SOUTHWEST FLOW AS THE TRAILING COLD FRONT APPROACHES. AS THE COLD FRONT SHIFTS THROUGH THE REGION FRIDAY, THE PARENT MID/UPPER LOW STRENGTHENS WITH FAVORABLE CONDITIONS DEVELOPING FOR UPSLOPE RAIN/SNOW SHOWERS ACROSS THE ADIRONDACKS AND NORTHERN GREENS FRIDAY NIGHT THROUGH SATURDAY. CLOSED 700MB LOW PASSES JUST NORTH OF THE CANADIAN BORDER WITH DEEP LOW/MID LEVEL MOISTURE WRAPPING AROUND INTO THE NORTH COUNTRY ON NORTHWEST FLOW. PROGGED FROUDE NUMBERS OFF THE GFS SHOW PRIMARILY UNBLOCKED FLOW FROM 06Z SATURDAY THROUGH 06Z SUNDAY AND A 925-850MB NORTHWESTERLY JET OF OF 35-45KTS INDICATING PRECIPITATION WILL FALL CLOSE TO THE MOUNTAIN RIDGE CRESTS AND ON LEE SIDE. THERMAL PROFILES SUPPORT A RAIN/SNOW MIX AT THE VALLEY FLOOR WITH PRIMARILY SNOW ACROSS THE SUMMITS WITH SEVERAL INCHES OF SNOW POSSIBLE ABOVE 2000 FEET THROUGH SATURDAY NIGHT.

Well, as of this morning’s BTV AFD, things continue to look interesting for the weekend – it’s nice when the experts start discussing “potent, vertically stacked lows”, “favorable conditions developing for upslope”, and “several inches of snow”.  There’s snow even in our valley forecast, so that certainly a good sign for the higher elevations.

.LONG TERM /THURSDAY NIGHT THROUGH MONDAY/...

AS OF 246 AM EST TUESDAY...UNSETTLED BUT SEASONAL CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED DURING THE EXTENDED FORECAST PERIOD FROM THURSDAY NIGHT THROUGH MONDAY NIGHT. POTENT VERTICALLY STACKED LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM CENTERED OVER THE GREAT LAKES THURSDAY NIGHT WILL BE THE PRIMARY WEATHER MAKER FOR THE NORTH COUNTRY THROUGH THE WEEKEND AS IT SLOWLY SHIFTS NORTHEASTWARD THROUGH SOUTHERN ONTARIO/QUEBEC. ATTENDING WARM FRONT SHIFTS NORTH OF THE INTL BORDER THURSDAY NIGHT WITH A MID-LEVEL DRY SLOT BRINGING A BRIEF BREAK IN PRECIP ON SOUTHWEST FLOW AS THE TRAILING COLD FRONT APPROACHES. AS THE COLD FRONT SHIFTS THROUGH THE REGION FRIDAY, THE PARENT MID/UPPER LOW STRENGTHENS WITH FAVORABLE CONDITIONS DEVELOPING FOR UPSLOPE RAIN/SNOW SHOWERS ACROSS THE ADIRONDACKS AND NORTHERN GREENS FRIDAY NIGHT THROUGH SATURDAY. CLOSED 700MB LOW PASSES JUST NORTH OF THE CANADIAN BORDER WITH DEEP LOW/MID LEVEL MOISTURE WRAPPING AROUND INTO THE NORTH COUNTRY ON NORTHWEST FLOW. PROGGED FROUDE NUMBERS OFF THE GFS SHOW PRIMARILY UNBLOCKED FLOW FROM 06Z SATURDAY THROUGH 06Z SUNDAY AND A 925-850MB NORTHWESTERLY JET OF OF 35-45KTS INDICATING PRECIPITATION WILL FALL CLOSE TO THE MOUNTAIN RIDGE CRESTS AND ON LEE SIDE. THERMAL PROFILES SUPPORT A RAIN/SNOW MIX AT THE VALLEY FLOOR WITH PRIMARILY SNOW ACROSS THE SUMMITS WITH SEVERAL INCHES OF SNOW POSSIBLE ABOVE 2000 FEET THROUGH SATURDAY NIGHT.

6z GFS had a good bit of moisture for the northern Greens with 24-hour totals up to 1.0" of QPF.  The EURO was 0.5-0.7" for 24-hour totals. 

It is only Tuesday but this may have some legs.  At the least, I'd feel confident in some snow showers this weekend.

GFS_upslope_zpsdzulxpjm.png

From GYX's AFD:

"SURFACE TROUGH WILL SWING IN FROM THE WEST FRIDAY
NIGHT ENHANCING SHOWER ACTIVITY....ESPECIALLY IN THE MOUNTAINS
WHERE SEVERAL INCHES OF SNOW WILL BE POSSIBLE OVER THE HIGHER
TERRAIN BY SATURDAY MORNING"

What's considered "higher terrain"? My new place is at 1250 ft, above Jackson NH... is that high enough to get some? Thanks (and yes, a  :weenie: is well deserved)

From GYX's AFD:

"SURFACE TROUGH WILL SWING IN FROM THE WEST FRIDAY

NIGHT ENHANCING SHOWER ACTIVITY....ESPECIALLY IN THE MOUNTAINS

WHERE SEVERAL INCHES OF SNOW WILL BE POSSIBLE OVER THE HIGHER

TERRAIN BY SATURDAY MORNING"

What's considered "higher terrain"? My new place is at 1250 ft, above Jackson NH... is that high enough to get some? Thanks (and yes, a  :weenie: is well deserved)

Well roughly half our forecast area is over 1000 feet elevation. 1500 is probably a fair estimate of what most in our office consider higher terrain, and even then most of north Oxford and Franklin Counties and all of Coos County is above 1500 feet.

For our text products, our zones sample only elevations below 2000 feet, and our REC forecast samples elevations over 2500 feet.

So that's the long way around to saying higher terrain is somewhere between 1500 and 2500 feet.

Well roughly half our forecast area is over 1000 feet elevation. 1500 is probably a fair estimate of what most in our office consider higher terrain, and even then most of north Oxford and Franklin Counties and all of Coos County is above 1500 feet.

For our text products, our zones sample only elevations below 2000 feet, and our REC forecast samples elevations over 2500 feet.

So that's the long way around to saying higher terrain is somewhere between 1500 and 2500 feet.

That's a great explanation, THANK YOU!

Whenever I hear that language I'm always thinking at least 1,500ft. 

Question on your zones...I always assumed zones just blended all grid-points in the county, but it leaves out anything above 2,000ft?

Whenever I hear that language I'm always thinking at least 1,500ft. 

Question on your zones...I always assumed zones just blended all grid-points in the county, but it leaves out anything above 2,000ft?

Correct. The zone forecast (ZFP) is an average of the zone. Most zones are whole counties, but counties can be split into zones (see why we call it that?) to highlight significant local effects. Like coastal zones versus interior, or the much higher terrain western Hillsborough County, NH versus the lower eastern part.

So our forecast averages all the grid points of the zone to produce the ZFP text wording (as opposed to the point and click which is just the individual grid point). But we can control how much of the zone to look at. So in order to keep MWN from skewing southern Coos zone forecasts, we only sample grid points below 2000 feet.

18Z NAM, what a sharp gradient for QPF over C/NNE.   If this were snow we would be sweating it out with snow amounts.  How did the Euro look for us up here?  I know it was dry yesterday.  NAM gives me over  .75" but that sneaky dry air to the NE could suppress everything.  Will watch the trend and radar.  

18Z NAM, what a sharp gradient for QPF over C/NNE.   If this were snow we would be sweating it out with snow amounts.  How did the Euro look for us up here?  I know it was dry yesterday.  NAM gives me over  .75" but that sneaky dry air to the NE could suppress everything.  Will watch the trend and radar.

.50" around MHT-CON. Closer to 0.25" LEB-LCI.

Afternoon update from BTV – mentioning a fairly low snow level at 1,000’ and “very good upslope snowfall potential”.

.LONG TERM /FRIDAY THROUGH TUESDAY/...

AS OF 348 PM EST TUESDAY...A BRIEF RETURN TO SEASONABLE NOVEMBER

CONDITIONS IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN THE WEEKEND WITH INCREASING POTENTIAL FOR RAIN SHOWERS TRANSITIONING TO SNOW SHOWERS OVER THE WEEKEND. THE MODELS ARE IN GOOD AGREEMENT ABOUT A WELL DEVELOPED LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM MOVING JUST NORTH OF THE NORTH COUNTRY ON FRIDAY WITH EXCELLENT DYNAMICS TRACKING THROUGH THE AREA. AS THE SYSTEM TRACKS CLOSE TO THE FORECAST AREA ON FRIDAY THE PRESSURE GRADIENT BOUNDARY LAYER FLOW WILL INCREASE SIGNIFICANT ESPECIALLY IN THE SAINT LAWRENCE VALLEY AND CURRENT GUIDANCE SUGGESTS THE POTENTIAL FOR ANOTHER 30-40KTS OF LOW LEVEL FLOW IN THE SAINT LAWRENCE VALLEY WITH GUSTS SLIGHTLY HIGHER.

THE SYSTEM WILL TRACK SOMEWHAT SLOWLY EASTWARD AND THE THREAT FOR SIGNIFICANT WIND WILL DECREASE FRIDAY NIGHT INTO SATURDAY. AS IT DRIFTS NORTH OF THE AREA THE PARENT UPPER LEVEL 700 MB TROUGH WILL CROSS THE UPPER LEVEL WINDS WILL TURN NORTHWEST. WITH GOOD MOISTURE STILL OVER THE NORTH COUNTRY ANTICIPATE VERY GOOD UPSLOPE SNOWFALL POTENTIAL ON SATURDAY UNDER A 530 DAM 1000-500MB THICKNESS. GUIDANCE STILL SUPPORTS UNBLOCKED FLOW SO THE HIGHEST CONCENTRATION OF SNOWFALL SHOULD FALL IN THE HIGH PEAKS REGION OF THE ADIRONDACKS AND ALONG THE SPINE OF THE GREEN MOUNTAINS. CURRENT THINKING IS THE MOST ELEVATIONS ABOVE 1000FT SHOULD LIKELY SEE SNOW WITH THE SAINT LAWRENCE AND IMMEDIATE CHAMPLAIN VALLEY SEEING MOSTLY A RAIN/SNOW MIX.

Thanks Brian. By the way on my FB page this popped up.  Says 2 years ago.  Don't know if it is accurate to the day since I don't keep records.... 

Well is your camera time stamp accurate?  If so, then its accurate, haha...it says November 10, 2013 on the image.

Edit: I see Eek has that comment covered, haha.  Should've read the next post.

Well is your camera time stamp accurate?  If so, then its accurate, haha...it says November 10, 2013 on the image.

Edit: I see Eek has that comment covered, haha.  Should've read the next post.

I'm an idiot.  Spent 15 minutes trying to find the Netcam 2013 folder. ...your right, its right on the image....and I read eek's post and it still didn't dawn on me....Duhhhhh....

Not much has changed with respect to the weekend forecast, so I wasn’t planning to post any of this morning’s BTV AFD, but sometimes the BTV forecasters include those comments that give you a bit of insight into their weather preferences, and this was one of those instances:

AS THE ATTENDING SURFACE COLD FRONT SHIFTS THROUGH THE REGION, GUSTY SOUTHWESTERLY WINDS SHIFT TO THE WEST/NORTHWEST AND THIS COMBINED WITH DEEP LOW/MID LEVEL MOISTURE STILL OVER THE NORTH COUNTRY WILL SET THE STAGE FOR THE FIRST (OF HOPEFULLY MANY) UPSLOPE EVENT OF THE SEASON.

Rain just about over except another line of light showers in VT.  .82"  over performer!  Was expecting about .25"  Dendrite and eek probably got a bit more as that batch to my SE is almost sitting there.  Would have been a nice bust if this had been snow.  Also looked like the QPF made it further NE than forecasted.

12z GFS still has a pretty decent high elevation snow event, with potential for 6" at the summits. 

Looks like tomorrow night will see the most concentrated area of orographic precipitation.

And this is 24-hour QPF with H85 temperatures below 0C.  Snow levels stay up high till the tail end though, with maybe 0.15" left once the snow levels drop below 2,000ft.

Archived