• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter: just can't compete with Maple Hollow.

eekuasepinniW

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice.

I dream of a treeless yard.

The back is fairly clear minus those 2 pear trees. There's some blue spruce scattered about on the sides and front and some more garbage fruit trees (apple, crabapple, peach). The big deciduous ones are all out front along the road...mostly large oaks. The animals love the pear trees though. This was the first season where one of them produced fruit good enough to eat. I've never pruned them before, but last winter a few large upper branches toppled to the ground so I think the self pruning helped. I want to cut more branches back on them now, but I haven't had the time to do it. Add it to the list of things I want to do, but never get to.

Looking at the composite radar it looks like there is a line of squalls that is trying to move over and to the east of the Greens.  Maybe it will hold together to give areas from the Lakes Region north some frozen a bit later this PM....or it will just dry up.....

Edit...just dry up...

NOUS41 KCAR 171957

PNSCAR

MEZ001>006-010-011-015>017-029>032-030053--180757-

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

SPOTTER REPORTS

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CARIBOU ME

357 PM EDT SAT OCT 17 2015

THE FOLLOWING ARE UNOFFICIAL OBSERVATIONS TAKEN DURING THE PAST 24

HOURS FOR THE STORM THAT HAS BEEN AFFECTING OUR REGION. APPRECIATION

IS EXTENDED TO HIGHWAY DEPARTMENTS...COOPERATIVE OBSERVERS...CWOP

OBSERVERS...SKYWARN SPOTTERS...FACEBOOK FANS...AND MEDIA FOR THESE

REPORTS. THIS SUMMARY IS ALSO AVAILABLE ON OUR HOME PAGE AT

WEATHER.GOV/CARIBOU

********************STORM TOTAL SNOWFALL********************

LOCATION STORM TOTAL TIME/DATE COMMENTS

SNOWFALL OF

/INCHES/ MEASUREMENT

MAINE

...AROOSTOOK COUNTY...

3 WSW DYER BROOK 4.8 130 PM 10/17 TRAINED SPOTTER

HOULTON 2.0 215 PM 10/17 TRAINED SPOTTER

BRIDGEWATER 1.5 119 PM 10/17 NWS EMPLOYEE

LUDLOW 1.0 200 PM 10/17 ONLY ON GRASSY SURFACES

Light snow here in Bartlett, Bretton Woods is getting clobbered though. Looks like about an inch so far from my door camera. Went for a hike up Tuckerman's today, it was amazing. At about 3500 it felt like mid-winter. Made it to Hermit Lake, 3800ft, and it was blowing snow, icicles on the buildings, etc - felt like mid-winter!

Radar echoes real heavy near JSpins, he must be seeing huge flakes too.

Yep, some heavy rounds of snow today here along the spine, and as is obvious from all the posts in the thread, the accumulating snow season is definitely underway in the Greens.  Here at the house, temperatures were up around 40 F earlier in the day, but came down into the mid 30s F as evening approached.  We had multiple rounds of fairly heavy snow during the afternoon into the evening, and I couldn’t pay close attention to all of them, but at least two had transient accumulations that hit the 0.1” to kick off the 2015-2016 tally.  Things are pretty quiet out there now, but maybe we’ve got a bit more snow building back into the area:

17OCT15A.gif

In terms of seasonal numbers from my data set, this is just about on track for first trace of frozen precipitation (mean = 10/19, median = 10/19), but a week or so ahead with respect to first accumulation (mean = 10/26, median = 10/27).

Archived