• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
NNE Winter: just can't compete with Maple Hollow.

eekuasepinniW

Got rocked here tonight, 1.71" in 45 min, Flash flooding, Several roadways impassable, Tree down on a house two streets over, 49 mph wind gust, 2.71" since last night, Best storm so far this season tonight, Frequent and continuous lightning to boot with that cell

Damage In Lewiston - DIL?

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Missed out the last couple weeks but not this one............... :)

Your turn.  Clean miss at my place, though I had a few minutes of +RA (wipers on high barely adequate) while driving thru Sidney into Belgrade about 5 PM.  Then the sat TV blinked off about 7:55 (never learned the answer to Final Jeopardy) and flickers on south horizon well into the evening.

Your turn.  Clean miss at my place, though I had a few minutes of +RA (wipers on high barely adequate) while driving thru Sidney into Belgrade about 5 PM.  Then the sat TV blinked off about 7:55 (never learned the answer to Final Jeopardy) and flickers on south horizon well into the evening.

You seem to suffer more heart-wrenching misses than anyone else in NNE, no matter what kind of weather, with the exception of cold.

I wish I could mail you a nice robust thunderstorm.  :)

You seem to suffer more heart-wrenching misses than anyone else in NNE, no matter what kind of weather, with the exception of cold.

I wish I could mail you a nice robust thunderstorm.  :)

Was it you who sent the 30-strikes/minute and 1.3" TS the evening of July 19?  If so, thank you.  Had at least one good storm this season, even though w/o hail or wind.

And my place got nailed in the Jan blizz.  I missed all the snowflakes (except for a few in the totally busted SNJ version of the storm) but did get to clear it all from porch and driveway after driving the 500 miles home the next day.  :lmao:

Hey guys--thought I'd drop in and say hi.  ;)

Lot of talk about rain, or lack thereof.  We've had plenty here so far this summer:  15.23" from 6/1 through today.  June was ridiculously wet but since then we've had just enough to keep things well-watered and green but not excessive as it was in June (22 out of 30 days were wet).  I think I've watered the garden once since late May, lol.

800' well, eh?  Ours is 8'--the dug type.  I don't think I've ever watered a lawn...

Temps have been on the cool side, particularly the overnight lows: 13 mornings in June were <50 (even some upper 30s on a few of those mornings in June), 6 mornings <50 in July and 4 <50 mornings so far in August.  Even when it hasn't reached the 40s overnight, we're almost always in low or maybe mid-50s.

47 early this morning...

Hey guys--thought I'd drop in and say hi.  ;)

Lot of talk about rain, or lack thereof.  We've had plenty here so far this summer:  15.23" from 6/1 through today.  June was ridiculously wet but since then we've had just enough to keep things well-watered and green but not excessive as it was in June (22 out of 30 days were wet).  I think I've watered the garden once since late May, lol.

800' well, eh?  Ours is 8'--the dug type.  I don't think I've ever watered a lawn...

Temps have been on the cool side, particularly the overnight lows: 13 mornings in June were <50 (even some upper 30s on a few of those mornings in June), 6 mornings <50 in July and 4 <50 mornings so far in August.  Even when it hasn't reached the 40s overnight, we're almost always in low or maybe mid-50s.

47 early this morning...

Welcome back!  I always like seeing your obs, because they're generally closer to mine than those of any other poster, though your snowfall avg is about 10% higher.

This morning was #4 this month below 50, plus there have been 4 more right at 50.  July brought 5 sub-50s, while my coldest of 18 Junes here had 17 mornings in the 40s plus 4 in the 30s, bottoming out with 34 on the 7th.  Avg for the month was 66.0/46.8/56.4.  Somewhat less RA, 12.76", though that's about 1.25" AN for June 1 thru today (thanks to 7" in June.)  Still about 3.5" BN for the year, though.

Our well is also similar, with 2 four-foot tiles.  Water level is usually a foot onto the upper tile, and given that their diameter provides about 100 gallons per foot, that's plenty.  In hot, dry late summer 2002 the level dropped to reveal a foot of the lower tile, but that still meant 300 gallons, probably at least 200 available without stirring up the bottom sludge.

Happened to get into a purple-ish pixel on the composite radar, just on the north side of RT 108, with some surprisingly efficient precipitation rates.  Picked up a quarter inch in just minutes, as the heavy rain only lasted a radar scan or two.  Winds were a little breezy there for a minute...20s to near 30mph gusts was enough to cool it off indoors with the windows and sliding doors open.  With dews near 70F, it seems like there's plenty of juice for downpours.

PF, how is this area for snow? Obviously not the upslope machine where you are, but just curious how they do.

They do nice in synoptic events, especially any SE flow from H85 to the SFC. They really get a nice upslope assist in SE flow precipitation events. And they retain it well, much more like a CNH CAD deal.

They do nice in synoptic events, especially any SE flow from H85 to the SFC. They really get a nice upslope assist in SE flow precipitation events. And they retain it well, much more like a CNH CAD deal.

Yeah I can see that. Maybe some reduction from the Monadnocks, but pretty good. We are about 1200' here. Goes up past 1600' behind us . It had that evergreen look of heavy heavy retention lol. Snowmobile trail too across the street.

Yeah I can see that. Maybe some reduction from the Monadnocks, but pretty good. We are about 1200' here. Goes up past 1600' behind us . It had that evergreen look of heavy heavy retention lol. Snowmobile trail too across the street.

I know the sites that are on BTV's daily climo maps in that area really retain snow well. There is a spot there in Ludlow at like 16-1700ft that is always one of the deeper packs in the southern half of VT.

It's a very QPF happy place on any easterly flow.

Archived