• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter: just can't compete with Maple Hollow.

eekuasepinniW

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No radiational cooling here last night, and now it's low 40s with some leaves flying around in the wind.  Feels a lot more like early April.

Yeah low 40's on advection cold is more impressive to me in the late May than 30's with radiational cooling. Shows how cool the airmass really is, rather than the "fake cold" which mixes out instantly.

Yeah low 40's on advection cold is more impressive to me in the late May than 30's with radiational cooling. Shows how cool the airmass really is, rather than the "fake cold" which mixes out instantly.

Didn't you hike Mt Abe the other day?

Looks like that area had some more substantial snow last night from that area of showers that moved through the Greens between I89 and Killington.

This is Sugarbush this morning (no idea who the photo credit is though).  And it looked like the accumulation got pretty low, as that's Stein's Run in the bottom photo where the base of that trail has to be near 2,000ft or even maybe lower?

11351138_10207161344938774_1070445743195

18013_10207161344658767_8923071012340035

Next week could push BTV, among others, to the warmest May on record.

Even with today coming in about 10F below avg, next week's forecast of 70s and perhaps 80s would put this May as my warmest here.  Thru yesterday, the month was running only 0.2F below the 54.98 set in 1999.  Today will kick it back about half a degree, but the means next week look to be 60-65, maybe near 70 if dews get high, here on Tues-Fri, and pull the month avg up near 56.

Didn't you hike Mt Abe the other day?

Looks like that area had some more substantial snow last night from that area of showers that moved through the Greens between I89 and Killington.

This is Sugarbush this morning (no idea who the photo credit is though).  And it looked like the accumulation got pretty low, as that's Stein's Run in the bottom photo where the base of that trail has to be near 2,000ft or even maybe lower?

11351138_10207161344938774_1070445743195

18013_10207161344658767_8923071012340035

That I did! 32F with 40 mph winds or so, winter was still gasping for life up there haha. I threw in a few pictures in here, I'm guessing a few pages back, of the rime ice and the dusting of new snow. Only leftover snow from winter was a few dwindling piles in the pines.

Next week could push BTV, among others, to the warmest May on record.

Sitting at #7 through yesterday, 1 degree off the record, we'll drop a little more today, but some of our LOWS next week won't be below 62.5F, so we should be able to surpass it.

1 1911 62.5 0

2 1975 62.3 0

3 1944 62.1 0

4 1998 62.0 0

5 1903 61.8 0

6 2012 61.6 0

7 2015 61.5 9

Next week's heat is going to do a number on the remaining snow on Mansfield... 99% of it is either plow piles or excessive snowmaking, but it was nice to see once you get above 3,500ft there is some snow cover left in the evergreens.  Its very patchy in most spots, but fairly continuous in the vicinity of the Stake.

This time of year its always impressive to think that 2 months ago it was at the 7 foot mark.  And the 12-foot top is just insane.  I can't believe in 2000-2001 it got close enough that they put a 3-foot extension on the stake.

IMG_0619_edited-2_zpsatobyjtw.jpg

IMG_0620_edited-3_zpsvzfurhfh.jpg

Looks like late May...

IMG_0612_edited-2_zpsb0up2isa.jpg

Still some serious depths in piles around the mountain...

IMG_0632_edited-1_zpsanx202yd.jpg

In the background you can see the "green-up line" is around 2,500ft, with brown stick season remaining above that level.  This was one of the terrain parks, and its hard to tell but these piles are still like 10-20 feet deep.  That second pile down there may be the longest lasting on the mountain when all is said and done as its a legit 20 feet deep and quite wide.

IMG_0639_edited-2_zpsmnahhgzc.jpg

Next week's heat is going to do a number on the remaining snow on Mansfield... 99% of it is either plow piles or excessive snowmaking, but it was nice to see once you get above 3,500ft there is some snow cover left in the evergreens.  Its very patchy in most spots, but fairly continuous in the vicinity of the Stake.

This time of year its always impressive to think that 2 months ago it was at the 7 foot mark.  And the 12-foot top is just insane.  I can't believe in 2000-2001 it got close enough that they put a 3-foot extension on the stake.

IMG_0619_edited-2_zpsatobyjtw.jpg

IMG_0620_edited-3_zpsvzfurhfh.jpg

Looks like late May...

IMG_0612_edited-2_zpsb0up2isa.jpg

Still some serious depths in piles around the mountain...

IMG_0632_edited-1_zpsanx202yd.jpg

In the background you can see the "green-up line" is around 2,500ft, with brown stick season remaining above that level.  This was one of the terrain parks, and its hard to tell but these piles are still like 10-20 feet deep.  That second pile down there may be the longest lasting on the mountain when all is said and done as its a legit 20 feet deep and quite wide.

IMG_0639_edited-2_zpsmnahhgzc.jpg

Yeah it is crazy to walk through a mountain and/or ski resort in the summer and then it dawns on you that when you're skiing it you're really 6 feet higher off the ground than you are now lol, on top of allll of the underbrush and short trees.

Except for the brutal winds. Wreaked havoc with my 9:00 am tee time. Wearing shorts fml.

Oh man! Gusts died off here relatively early, but I see they gusted all day out that way. 40's through noon with 20 mph gusts, ouch!

I thought the same Steve, It's amazing

Sent from my iPhone

1st pic doesn't look like anyplace I've been in Maine - Chimney Pond?  If not, those background cliffs are a puzzle.  2nd pic might be near the Rt 11 spot from where the DOT pic was posted in the banter thread. 

Since the weather is pretty boring here I thought I post the picture from my brother's webcam facing Aspen Mountain and  the 12,000 footers in the back ground.  They have had snow at the higher elevations this week.  Looks like convective snow showers over the mountains now.

I lived in aspen/snowmass for a couple seasons. Your bro has a sweet spot!!

Bird update time...

The wood thrushes have been extra noisy today. I've been hearing their flute-like whistles echoing through the forest in the BY all day.

I have my first ever red breasted nuthatch. Looks like it'll be sticking around as I've seen it on the suet everyday over the past few days.

Also saw a gold finch feeding from my hummingbird feeder this morning. Can't say I've ever seen that before.

Lastly, the catbirds have been going to town on the orange halves that I leave out. I'm averaging a whole orange every 2-3 days. I'll probably have to go to Wally and buy a big bag of cheapies. Those birds are a trip with their meow calls. They have quite a variety of pretty songs too.

Archived