SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2015 Atlantic Hurricane Season General Discussion

mackerel_sky

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two systems behind Danny look a lot more interesting than Danny did. Have to see where they go. At least things are getting active for a change.

here are the plots for 98L I would say more than likely a fish storm, the one behind it an the one to come off Africa may be the real ones to watch.....it really just depends on how far south 98L can form.

98L is looking really good this morning. I know that the spaghetti models are favoring a recurve right now but the models are going to need to resolve the trough exiting SE Canada over the next few days. Models have continued to show a ridge building in overhead but after 98L has already gained enough latitude to become embedded in the Westerlies. The result is a stall and then eventual recurve. The 06z GFS actually takes 98L South through the Caribbean, over the islands, into the Gulf, across Florida and eventually on the Carolina coast next Tuesday.

gfs_mslp_pcpn_seus_33.png

here are the plots for 98L I would say more than likely a fish storm, the one behind it an the one to come off Africa may be the real ones to watch.....it really just depends on how far south 98L can form.

attachicon.gif98L_gefs_06z.png

attachicon.gif98L_tracks_06z.png

The GFS quickly develops not the next wave behind 98L but the one coming off Africa behind it. The problem is that it's an almost guaranteed fish with any weaknesses in the ridge resulting in a recurve. You can see it here on the GFS.

gfs_mslp_uv850_atl_27.png

gfs_mslp_uv850_atl_37.png

gfs_mslp_uv850_atl_46.png

Now here you can see the GFS really blows up yet another wave into a formidable system late in the period and that the ridge is temporarily in control but we're already at or above 20N and it would have to be a flawless ridge to get the system close to land.

gfs_mslp_uv850_atl_53.png

Doesn't look like anything else is coming behind Erika. NHC posted this on Facebook.

Elsewhere, a tropical wave and associated low pressure area located a few hundred miles west of the Cape Verde Islands continues to produce disorganized showers and thunderstorms. Environmental conditions are not expected to be conducive for the development of this system while it moves westward to west-northwestward at around 15 mph.

Doesn't look like anything else is coming behind Erika. NHC posted this on Facebook.

Elsewhere, a tropical wave and associated low pressure area located a few hundred miles west of the Cape Verde Islands continues to produce disorganized showers and thunderstorms. Environmental conditions are not expected to be conducive for the development of this system while it moves westward to west-northwestward at around 15 mph.

They are only saying the system behind Erika isn't doing much and that doesn't imply anything else beyond that.....the wave coming off Africa looks a good or better than any of the ones so far this year....

• 2 weeks later...

The Non-tropical 'thing'

TROPICAL SUMMARY - TUESDAY SEPTEMBER 8, 2015

► A low pressure system with at least some tropical characteristics made landfall on the Big Bend of Florida early today; it is now inland with showers & gusty winds (which I am experiencing at the moment in Atlanta!)

► Looking ahead, models are indicating the potential for a wet area of low pressure forming over the western Gulf this weekend into next week; details t.b.d.

► Grace downgraded to a tropical depression, continues to face a rough road

► Linda moisture → Desert Southwest; Jimena moisture → Hawaii; Ex-Ignacio moisture → British Columbia

► Tropical Storm Etau affecting Japan; long-lived Kilo passing Japan to the east, its remnants headed toward the Kamchatka Peninsula of Russia

GULF OF MEXICO

That's an interesting radar loop from last night into this morning ...

As for what this Thing was meteorologically, over the weekend it had characteristics of a "hybrid," i.e. some of a tropical system and some of a non-tropical one, ultimately tending to be more tropical with time. A Weather Underground station at Alligator Point http://bit.ly/1IXmwMN (H/T Mike Dross) measured sustained winds as high as 35 mph (anemometer height within a couple meters of the standard ten), just a few short of tropical storm force (39 mph), and those occurred in convection concentrated near the center of a "closed" circulation at the surface http://bit.ly/1KD9fjI.

It is reminiscent of the Things that weren't officially called tropical depressions in the Gulf in late July and early August, about which I blogged http://t.co/TWMzdh7e1H. The northeast Gulf has been a breeding ground for them this season.

Looking ahead in the western Gulf, models differ as to the potential for tropical storm formation this weekend into next week; they agree on that being a general area of rising air, low pressure, and heavy precipitation (per the model forecast map below for that time period), thus something for which to watch future model trends.

ATLANTIC

Grace mustered a little more convection (thunderstorms) this afternoon, but continues to face a rough road ahead, with shear, and dry air.

NHC is giving a system out beyond Bermuda a medium chance of developing.

Models suggest the next "African easterly wave" that has a chance will be one coming off the coast this weekend.

CENTRAL-EASTERN PACIFIC

Satellite imagery shows moisture heading into British Columbia and even the U.S. Pac NW from ex-Ignacio; Jimena's lurking near Hawaii and poised to affect the islands, and Linda's across Baja toward the Desert Southwest.

Whereas Kevin's moisture aimed only toward the eastern part of that region, moisture in part from Linda is reaching as far west as southern Arizona and SoCal, where flash flood warnings are currently in effect.

0:20/0:20
-PAXP-deijE.gif

There's this entity floating around out there, too

1050 PM EDT TUE SEP 8 2015For the North Atlantic...Caribbean Sea and the Gulf of Mexico:Special tropical weather outlook to update the discussion of thelow pressure area east-southeast of Bermuda.The National Hurricane Center is issuing advisories on TropicalDepression Grace, located about 1050 miles east of the LesserAntilles.1. Updated: Recent satellite wind data indicate that the low pressurearea centered about 225 miles east-southeast of Bermuda hasdeveloped a well-defined circulation with winds to near gale forcenortheast of the center.  If any further increase in organizationoccurs, advisories on a subtropical or tropical cyclone could beinitiated Wednesday morning.  The low is expected to remain nearlystationary for the remainder of tonight, and then move northward at5 to 10 mph on Wednesday and Thursday. By Friday or Saturday, thesystem should be absorbed by a large extratropical cyclone.* Formation chance through 48 hours...high...80 percent* Formation chance through 5 days...high...80 percentForecaster Beven

That Florida thing...

An Air Force Reserve HurricaneHunter aircraft is scheduled to investigate this system tomorrow, ifnecessary. Regardless of development, locally heavy rains arepossible today over portions of the Florida Peninsula and coastalareas of Georgia and South Carolina.

Not adding much to the conversation as I'm a total amateur when it comes to the tropics, but how on earth can the GFS swing this far between one run?

The 00z/06z/12z/18z were very similar overall for the east coast with high pressure dominating and zero action off the coast, but all of a sudden tonight's 00z run has a tropical cyclone on the OBX.

I know it's still a long ways out, but the drastic changes are just crazy.

18z

post-3087-0-53885500-1442640578_thumb.pn

00z

post-3087-0-83771300-1442640587_thumb.pn

Of course, the only reason why I have any interest whatsoever in the tropics is because I'll be in the OBX 9/27-10/3 and I'm just hoping there won't be a system affecting the coast while I'm there. But man, staying up til 1:30am only to be let down with a TS ruining my vacation that's still 8 days out is stressing me out.

Anywho, I'll get out of the hurricane season thread and wait on winter now! Feel free to chime in if anyone has any thoughts as to why these runs are so wildly inconsistent.

Well, just my luck. It hasn't changed all day.

I've never seen anything like this on a wx model in my 10+ years of being a weather geek. The system that is off the east coast at initiation literally moves up the coast, gets pushed out to sea, gets pushed back to the SW by the transient high pressure system, then goes up the coast again, gets pushed back SW again with a second high pressure system, then comes up the coast for a THIRD time.

It literally follows the same path three times. Mind-blowing. E NC goes from drought to monthly total in one week.

8:00 AM...

1. A broad area of low pressure is located about 325 miles east of the

northeast coast of Florida. This low is not showing any signs

of acquiring tropical or subtropical characteristics, and the

reconnaissance aircraft mission scheduled for this afternoon has

been canceled. Environmental conditions are expected to remain

unfavorable for significant development while this low moves slowly

northeastward away from the southeastern United States.

* Formation chance through 48 hours...low...10 percent

* Formation chance through 5 days...low...10 percent

Does anyone have any thoughts in regards to the D7-10 or so range southeast tropical/sub-tropical threat?

The GFS has been so inconsistent on how it handles the big canadian HP system and how it interacts with the Great Lakes low pressure system and the tropical/sub-tropical disturbance(s) rotating clockwise around the Outer Banks of NC. I've never seen anything like that. It just rotates for 3-5 days before finally coming inland and soaking E VA/NC/SC/etc.

Also, it looks like it tries to "transfer" the energy from the tropical system in the GOM across Florida, then move it up the east coast. Does that make any sort of sense given the setup? The EURO/CMC keeps that system in the GOM and keeps that HP system around longer next week, thus squashing that tropical low into the meat grinder.

Which model(s) have been performing the best overall lately, especially regarding the tropics and the general pattern?

Thanks in advance for any info guys! Trying to get my OBX vacation planned without being flooded out!

Archived