• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter of 2015-16 Prediction Discussion

dmillz25

I was just looking at an experimental long range prediction site ('Kyle MacRitchie') and it did not look good for us if you like cold weather.   While temps. over Hudson Bay (our best source of cold air) are expected to be slightly bn till mid-Nov., there is a steady rise for the next 3 weeks after that into the second week of December----then a leveling off---(well it could hardly stay at +18F  or get higher in any given locale for really long time)  but it continues to end of experimental run in the last week of the year!

Meanwhile as would be expected based on the jet stream wavelengths in winter, Seattle WA. stays bn. during this stretch.

AccuWeather  30 day+ outlook indicates just 4bn days out of the whole month.  This should effectively end a streak of 3 bn Novembers here.   -2.4, -2.5, -3.8 then a +4.2 in 2011 as a reminder.

Given the outlook for Nov, Dec and notwithstanding the normal month of June we experienced (normal is an aberration nowadays) it looks like 9 straight 'ab' months are likely.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This year it has gotten warmer for the Northeast as we have gotten closer.

It`s Aug - Sept - Oct  last year did the same thing .  It did not get colder until Nov . 

I like the Euro seasonal the best . 

If it loses that look t 500 , I will revisit . I did not like NOV - DEC from early on , I am stuck on Jan  and Feb being the best 

It`s Aug - Sept - Oct  last year did the same thing .  It did not get colder until Nov . 

I like the Euro seasonal the best . 

If it loses that look t 500 , I will revisit . I did not like NOV - DEC from early on , I am stuck on Jan  and Feb being the best 

Do you know when November comes out?

Usually not until the 12th-15th period for the JAMSTEC and JMA. ECMWF also around the 15th.

Euro long range comes on the 8th of every month to paid subscribers and on the 15th of the month on the Euro site. The Eurosips are out on the 15th for paid subscribers and on the 22nd of the month on the Euro site. The good news is that CoastalWx or Will over in the NE forum do a great job in describing both runs when they come out for paid subscribers.

it certainly  isn't 1997-98 but it could be worse...I doubt that but you never know...that year started out with a negative ao and nao and had a cool November...the record for the least amount of snow from day one to the end of winter is held by el nino winters...

1/09/2007.....0

1/10/2007/73/00/66.. trace

1/19/2000/73/66...trace

1/20/1973.....trace

1/29/1995.....0.2"

2/04/1998.....0.5"

3/22/1919.....2.4"

3/28/1973.....2.8" to end...

2006-07 holds the record for the latest trace on record...1/10...1973 holds the record for the latest measurable snowfall...1/29...1995 holds the record least amount of snowfall at the end of January...1998 and 1919 holds the record for the latest 1" snowfall...1919 had two 1" snowfalls in late March otherwise it would be the least snowiest year...el nino years can be horrible or great like 2009-10...

Its depiction over SE Australia is insanely odd too.  I don't think SYD and MEL have ever had a below normal summer in history during an El Nino, that run of the Euro seasonal may be out to lunch,.

I like the Euro seasonal . Record R4 warming with forcing bet 160 - 180 and all that warm water in the EP region , you should pull that NEG SW in the GOA , that will pull the ridge onto the west shores of HB  after Jan .

The Euro only shows a broad are of N at 2 M but I really only look at its 500 . 

That makes way more sense than the CFS that pushes that ridge too far east  in Canada because the trough is displaced too far east .

We saw this with the US models last year . 

I can`t post the Euro but this is ( close ) to its J-M  looks like at 500mb ( not 2m) . It`s 2m show a broad area of N , but if you look at last years Euro seasonal it got the 500 correct but it has a warm bias at 2m and was not below normal in the Northeast or NE . 

cahgt_anom_3(8).gif

Unfortunately this period of strong +EPO/-PNA should reduce Pacific SSTs and the blob significantly, making it harder to get the SST feedback into +PNA later on in winter.

I'm hoping this regime is only a temporary result of the MJO and declining AAM and not a 6-8 week long period of low heights dominating the Pacific/Amer West.

The CFSv2 weeklies for next 5 weeks suck.   Above normal heights and 2M's all the way.   Just a short wave accident such as Oct. 18-19 (could offer some interest) which when averaged into any of the 7 day blocks it was part of, did no more than make that 7 day block come out near normal, instead of above normal.

Archived