joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2nd annual spring/summer thread for the mountains

Met1985

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

38 degrees this morning!  Looking at the long range models, and it seems as though these cold shots keep coming.  Around next Tuesday it looks like we could get some sort of cut off to come south bringing back the very cold temps with a tad of moisture associated.  Maybe some token flakes for the high elevations?  To early to tell, but it does appear as though the cold shots will continue for the foreseeable future.

Friday morning forecast model soundings look snowy to me for the TN/NC line mountains above 5000 feet.

LeConte, Roan, Beech could all see some minor accumulation I'm thinking if the GFS is correct and the cold pool passes overhead as expected.  The winds will be of sufficient force out of the NNW to generate some up slope. Moisture looks adequate. The Plott Balsams look to be shadowed out of the action by the Smokies but some flurries are likely.

Friday morning forecast model soundings look snowy to me for the TN/NC line mountains above 5000 feet.

LeConte, Roan, Beech could all see some minor accumulation I'm thinking if the GFS is correct and the cold pool passes overhead as expected. The winds will be of sufficient force out of the NNW to generate some up slope. Moisture looks adequate. The Plott Balsams look to be shadowed out of the action by the Smokies but some flurries are likely.

YeP iv been following this Mike for about a week and looks like two mornings out things look good for some high elevation snow Friday morning if the cold pool moves directly over us. Will be cool to see snow in the mountains on May 1st if it comes to be.

Currently a cold rain and in the 30's on the mtn top.  Should see a change over to some at least some scattered snow tonight/tomorrow.  Should be able to get a report from the 5700 feet level on the mtn top tomorrow morning if any May snow actually falls.

Currently a cold rain and in the 30's on the mtn top. Should see a change over to some at least some scattered snow tonight/tomorrow. Should be able to get a report from the 5700 feet level on the mtn top tomorrow morning if any May snow actually falls.

Nice man! Temp down to 44 degrees here! Looking for snow in the morning.

Some snow pellets fell overnight although conditions are currently just partly cloudy and around freezing.  Some snow showers might move in later as it appears some deeper moisture is trying to rotate down from the North.

This image was taken from my neighbor this morning on the side of the mountain at 5600 feet looking towards the South. Because the moisture is rotating out of the NNE, there is marked shadowing on the SW side of the Balsams this morning.

post-9361-0-96127100-1430481996_thumb.jp

ASUS62 KGSP 011350

RTPGSP

MAX/MIN TEMPERATURE AND PRECIPITATION TABLE FOR

THE MOUNTAINS AND FOOTHILLS OF NORTH CAROLINA

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG SC

950 AM EDT FRI MAY 1 2015

This report includes the high and low temperatures and

precipitation for the 24 hour period ending around 7 am

this morning.

:

: Station Elev Obs Max Min 24 hr Snow Snow

: Name Time Temp Temp Pcpn Fall Depth

BELN7:Banner Elk 3770:DH0700/ 58/ 37/ 0.40/ M/ M

BCHN7:Beech Mountain 5069:DH0700/ 50/ 32/ 0.41/ T/ 0

BOON7:Boone 3098:DH0600/ 60/ 40/ 0.05/ 0.0/ 0

BRCN7:Bryson City 1940:DH0800/ 67/ 39/ 0.14/ M/ M

HLDN7:Highlands 3840:DH0800/ 58/ 35/ 0.10/ M/ M

HTSN7:Hot Springs 1400:DH0700/ 68/ 41/ 0.14/ 0.0/ M

JFFN7:Jefferson 2770:DH1100/ 62/ 42/ 0.22/ M/ M

LENN7:Lenoir 1300:DH0800/ 72/ 49/ 0.08/ 0.0/ 0

MRHN7:Marshall 1800:DH0700/ 67/ 37/ 0.05/ M/ M

MMTN7:Mount Mitchell 6240:DH0700/ 46/ 28/ 0.12/ 0.5/ T

MURN7:Murphy 1800:DH0700/ 67/ 36/ 0.05/ 0.0/ 0

WYVN7:Waynesville 2658:DH0800/ 62/ 39/ 0.11/ M/ M

.end

----

PRO08302015 WHARELL

Just got home and boy is it pouring the rain. The river and streams are all well above normal. Our dirt road has 3 inch deep ditches were it is raining so hard.

I noticed your area got some storms around supper time and they rained themselves out...we're about to that time of the year!

Thanks, Met! Have fun staying cool!

Have fun in the Johnston County heat :snowing:

I had a job in Selma one summer many years ago.

Yay, heat will be fun this summer but at least Ana is cooling things down a bit. Well, Selma is where I go to church so I got to say that place is tough little town that's for sure...

Archived