Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2nd annual spring/summer thread for the mountains

Met1985

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love this time of the year!

As mentioned on snow thread, I got something awesome to show y'all. I recently brought an intervalometer for my Nikon and have been messing around with time-lapse photography with Hvward's help. This past Easter Sunday, I went on a brief hike to top of Fryingpan Mountain and set a camera there to take a set of pictures for a time-lapse project and this is what I came up with:

Make sure it's one 1080p for best quality. Seriously, lot of thanks to Hvward for helping me with the basics! I'm planning on hiking somewhere this weekend with nice weather and I'm willing to take suggestions for my next time-lapse because I like exploring new things :) Ideally, I want to drive about a hour or two to a cool hiking location in Smokies or around Grandfather Mountain for an adventure. Thoughts?

Love this time of the year!

As mentioned on snow thread, I got something awesome to show y'all. I recently brought an intervalometer for my Nikon and have been messing around with time-lapse photography with Hvward's help. This past Easter Sunday, I went on a brief hike to top of Fryingpan Mountain and set a camera there to take a set of pictures for a time-lapse project and this is what I came up with:

Make sure it's one 1080p for best quality. Seriously, lot of thanks to Hvward for helping me with the basics! I'm planning on hiking somewhere this weekend with nice weather and I'm willing to take suggestions for my next time-lapse because I like exploring new things :) Ideally, I want to drive about a hour or two to a cool hiking location in Smokies or around Grandfather Mountain for an adventure. Thoughts?

Message me.

I will hook you up with some of the best on the Grandfather Mountain Summitt Trail, the North Profile Trail or the Daniel Boone Trail on the SE side.

All are the best of the best!

Also a must do every June is the Appalachian Trail over the Roan Highlands in mid June when the largest growth of Rhododendrons in the world are at their full bloom.

All are keepers !

Message me.

I will hook you up with some of the best on the Grandfather Mountain Summitt Trail, the North Profile Trail or the Daniel Boone Trail on the SE side.

All are the best of the best!

Also a must do every June is the Appalachian Trail over the Roan Highlands in mid June when the largest growth of Rhododendrons in the world are at their full bloom.

All are keepers !

Will do next time I go out! I ended up going to Table Rock in Linville Gorge (what a place...), but I want to do something in Boone area next time :)

As for Roan, I wish I don't live so far away during summer so I can see this huge display of colors!

Looking at the weather models it looks like we will be entering an active cold or cooler pattern here starting next week. First both the ao and the nao look to go negative for a time which is great towards the end of April! Next looking at the Euro weeklies they paint a moist cool pattern heading into the first of May. I'm beginning to thing we may be in for a very soggy summer or at least early summer. Second the euro and the gfs are both honing in on the 24th time frame for a significant cold shot. One that could possibly warrant a frost or even some high elevation snow. Still way early but the models seem to be catching on to a big East coast trough setting up for maybe a week or two.

Yeah ward as have been mentioned it has been very wet as of late. I do think we get some decent storms firing up later today with the sun out.

Yeah Met doesnt seem to be too much of a cap on the atmosphere around here today. Cumulus clouds are beginning to build all around. Looks like round 5 or 6 is on the way.

Archived