SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mountain West Discussion

Chinook

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've often noticed how storms will follow the South Platte River valley and wonder if, over the long term, the rivers were shaped by a long-running weather pattern or the weather pattern is shaped by the geography.

Interesting question, and an area of active research.  In the case you mentioned above it's pretty clear that the weather pattern is shaped by the geography, but more broadly there is strong evidence that there is a positive feedback loop between elevation and storm development.  Think of it this way - you get an initial area of uplift.  The windward side of that uplift gets enhanced precipitation.  That leads to enhanced erosion on the windward side of the range.  That leads to enhanced isostatic uplift on that side of the range.  But the erosion is not uniform - it's concentrated in deep gorges (in areas of significant uplift).  So the higher peaks - which haven't yet meaningfully eroded - actually get higher.  That enhances orographic precipitation in windward areas.  That enhances erosion in the gorges, which unloads the deeper crust, leading to more isostatic uplift and even higher elevations, etc.

Uplift in the western US is very complex, so the contribution of precip to uplift is not nearly this simple or obvious, but the above mechanism is generally thought to explain the highest elevations of the Himalayas (which otherwise wouldn't be meaningfully higher than the Tibetan plateau, which sit in their lee/ rain shadow during the monsoon) and probably also maintains the Appalachians, even though with hundreds of millions of years of erosion you might have expected them to have long since disappeared.  It also clearly has some cool impacts on the topography of the west coast of South America which are, to my knowledge, still poorly understood.  I.e., one of the reasons the Andes in Peru/Bolivia/Northern Chile manifests as rolling, ultra-high plateau as opposed to a jagged range is because the Pacific side sees so little precipitation that erosion rates are remarkably low for such large relief, and so the topographic expression doesn't really look like areas of significant crustal thickening anywhere else in the world (except for Tibet, which looks that way because the Himalayas are taking all the rain/erosion/isostatic effects and leaving a dry/flat/high plateau in their lee, per the above).

Over 6" on the month here. Wet but not close to Sep 2013 (14"), and not quite on the level of the 8.5" I saw in July 2011.

However, the 24 of 27 days this month with rain beats anything I've seen.

Fort Collins has close to 5.8" or 5.9" this month, which is close to the 6.09" the we got in September 2013 (the wettest month that I have lived here.)

Fort Collins got 6.34" of precipitation in May (261% of normal.) I believe this is one of the wettest months that I have lived though in my lifetime.

Today, finally the warm, dry layer is mixing away the surface moisture, and we are getting temperatures 84-91 in the area. Dew points have dropped to the lower 40's and upper 30's. (dew points fluctuating between 32-41 in town)

Thought I'd take the severe discussion local, since we're inside of 12 hours and small scale things might have an impact. SPC has the Metro area and the northern half of the I-25 corridor under the biggest gun for this afternoon/evening with a 10% tornado risk, 30% large hail risk and >10% hail over 2 inches. But we have this stratus layer which looks (so far) to be as far south as Castle Rock and as far west as C-470. I imagine it might erode as it continues to push south, and the boundary might be the stage. So this goes more with a line from perhaps Golden to Castle Rock to Parker and north and east a little from there for an area of focus, and that would go with the typical "hail alley" along the northern edge of the Palmer Divide...not so much north and east as SPC seems to say. I'm not as familiar with the North Metro area as far as mesoscale stuff goes.

BTW I parked all the cars inside and moved furniture under the patio roof. :)

Thoughts from those who actually know things are welcome!

Thought I'd take the severe discussion local, since we're inside of 12 hours and small scale things might have an impact. SPC has the Metro area and the northern half of the I-25 corridor under the biggest gun for this afternoon/evening with a 10% tornado risk, 30% large hail risk and >10% hail over 2 inches. But we have this stratus layer which looks (so far) to be as far south as Castle Rock and as far west as C-470. I imagine it might erode as it continues to push south, and the boundary might be the stage. So this goes more with a line from perhaps Golden to Castle Rock to Parker and north and east a little from there for an area of focus, and that would go with the typical "hail alley" along the northern edge of the Palmer Divide...not so much north and east as SPC seems to say. I'm not as familiar with the North Metro area as far as mesoscale stuff goes.

BTW I parked all the cars inside and moved furniture under the patio roof. :)

Thoughts from those who actually know things are welcome!

Just posted this in the other thread, but sky is already clearing here in Centennial/Englewood. This could be quite an interesting day.

Forecast discussion from about 2 hours ago is pretty interesting - they call out the clearing likely to happen by 12PM-ish:

THE FORECAST IS STILL ON TRACK...ALTHOUGH THE LOW CLOUDS MAY LIFT
BY NOON. MOIST UPSLOPE FLOW...LARGE CAPES...LOW LEVEL
SHEAR...HIGHER THAN AVERAGE HELICITIES...A JET ALOFT ALL POINT TO
THE LIKELY DEVELOPMENT OF SUPERCELLS...POSSIBLY MOVING ACROSS
METRO DENVER OR THE URBAN CORRIDOR BETWEEN 3 AND 6 PM. A SUPERCELL
TORNADO WILL BE POSSIBLE...ALONG WITH GOLFBALL TO BASEBALL
HAIL...RAINFALL RATES OF AN INCH AN HOUR. WITH STRONG WINDS ALOFT
STORMS MAY MOVE EAST AT 30 MPH. WHAT IS UNCLEAR IS WHETHER
CONDITIONS WILL BE TOO STABLE ON THE PLAINS FOR SUPERCELLS TO
MAINTAIN THIS EVENING....ALTHOUGH WILL KEEP FORECAST OF
PRECIPITATION SPREADING EAST THIS EVENING. THE LOCATION OF THE JET
ALOFT WORKING WITH THE TERRAIN WILL LIKELY DICTATE THE LOCATION OF
SUPERCELL DEVELOPMENT.

It's been an interesting last hour to say the least here in Stapleton. Storms continue to seemingly generate out of nowhere to the SE of us. Went from calm/clear to ping pong hail about 45 minutes ago.

Now it looks like we're about four miles from 2 inch hail.

Yesterday was our first 88 of the year (87.9 at Fort Collins, 90 at FNL airport). It was 85 at Denver.  It felt so warm compared to the previous few weeks. We had sunshine all day.  The KDNR soundings yesterday showed 0.59" and 0.82" of precipitable water. These values are fairly normal PW values for mid-summer, but there was little cloud development anywhere near here. Now. thanks to the SPC sounding climatology, I know that 0.71" is Denver's average P.W. for late July. Mid-June should average 0.6" of P.W.. Just think, last year we maxed out at 99 here.

I suppose we can expect above-normal dew points this summer, with an almost daily chance of rain. I think our area will have above normal precip. this summer, just due to moisture feedback. I am not exactly sure how El Nino normally interacts with the summertime weather. When I lived in Ohio, ENSO wasn't a very good predictor for summertime.

Edit: flash flood watch issued for our area, valid tomorrow. The 4km NAM shows areas of over 2" of rain near Denver in the next 36 hours. Based on yesterday's models, this is a bit of a surprise. The GFS shows PW values of 1.2" at Denver tomorrow night (200% of normal.)

...FLASH FLOOD WATCH IN EFFECT FROM THURSDAY MORNING THROUGHFRIDAY MORNING...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN DENVER HAS ISSUED A* FLASH FLOOD WATCH FOR PORTIONS OF CENTRAL COLORADO...EAST  CENTRAL COLORADO...

Heavy rain rates already affecting Loveland US34/I25 intersection

MESOSCALE PRECIPITATION DISCUSSION 0193NWS WEATHER PREDICTION CENTER COLLEGE PARK MD219 PM EDT THU JUN 11 2015 AREAS AFFECTED...SECTIONS OF SOUTHEAST WY & EASTERN CO  CONCERNING...HEAVY RAINFALL...FLASH FLOODING POSSIBLE  VALID 111819Z - 120019Z SUMMARY...THUNDERSTORMS HAVE BEGUN TO DEVELOP ACROSS SOUTHEAST WYAND EASTERN CO.  WITH THE POTENTIAL FOR HOURLY RAIN RATES UP TO1.25", FLASH FLOODING IS POSSIBLE.DISCUSSION...WEAK UPSLOPE FLOW BEHIND A COLD FRONT COMBINED WITHAN UPPER LOW TO THE WEST AND 500-1000 J/KG MLCAPES HAVE LED TOTHUNDERSTORM DEVELOPMENT ACROSS SOUTHEAST WY AND EASTERN CO. 

Have to say it's been an absolutely gorgeous day here in Aurora. There seems to have been a force field around the Denver Metro area with a radius of 25-30 miles. However, it appears that it is starting to break down; it is significantly less gorgeous with temps having dropped 10-15 degrees and E winds picking up to about 20 mph.

This isn't exactly near here, but I may as well cover it. Heat wave at Needles, CA. Yesterday,June 15, Needles had a high temp of 46.1 C (115F)

KEED 152356Z AUTO 20013G19KT 10SM CLR 45/M03 A2965 RMK AO2 SLP998 T04501028 10461 20411 56017

Severe watch for the northern tier of Colorado. I've never seen a narrow strip from NW edge of Colorado to the NE edge of Colorado in a severe watch.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/watch/ww0304.html

tornado watch for the North Platte CWA type area. Considering the strong shear in Wyoming, maybe they should have gone with a tornado watch for Wyoming.

Storm with a hook-shaped feature (not necessarly a supercell)

post-1182-0-83187900-1434493956_thumb.pn

oddly shaped cloud with a little rotation

post-1182-0-11954200-1434493993_thumb.jp

Yesterday's high temps ranged from 93 to 97 around Fort Collins. Here is the FNL airport METAR with the high temp listed as 36.0 celsius (96.8F) Dew points in the morning were near 60, and then the moisture mixed considerably, so there was a dew point of 33 for a short while.

KFNL 192355Z AUTO 14006KT 10SM CLR 35/08 RMK AO1 10360 20280 403600170

Greeley high temp: 37.0 celsius (human body temperature, i.e. 98.6F)

KGXY 192355Z AUTO 13008KT CLR 34/04 A2986 RMK AO1 10370 20270 403700150 57017

june_19_2015_wx_stations_FC.jpg

Today was Bike to Work day in metro Denver. I had a nice ride from Greenwood Village to Aurora. Then I left work at 4:30. There was a rotating shelf cloud a couple miles to my west. Nice also. Then it rotated more. Then it did not go north as I thought it would. No sirens, no warnings. Then I decided I needed to find some shelter anyway, and 30 seconds after I found some there was a warning on my phone and a siren at the same time. And the tops of trees started blowing off, but I was told there was no touchdown.

Anyway, moral of the story is: I do NOT recommend storm chasing by bicycle.  :poster_oops:

Archived