• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
April 8-10 Severe threat

Pretty impressive day that lived up to its billing. Tornadoes from Iowa to Ohio with a soon to be legendary twister in Northern Illinois. Pretty damn good early Spring event

Certainly an early season event. In northern Illinois, the only earlier violent tornado reported since 1962 was in 3/29/81 with an F-4. The next closest would have been Palm Sunday, 4/11/65.

2/28/12 had the Harrisburg, IL EF-4, but that was in the far southern tip of the state.

• Replies 927
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whether due to randomness or something else, there had been a bit of a minimum in significant tornadoes and tornadoes in general in that area that got hit yesterday.  Here's a map of significant tornadoes from 1950-2014

attachicon.gifmap.png

Living in Dekalb for several years,  I was thinking of that map that as soon as this happened...the lack of tornadoes in that part of Northern IL..

A little late but here is some video from my chase in N MO & E IL. Prayers for those effected by the cells that popped to my north. I missed them by 2 hours or so driving from OKC. Caught this cell near Louisiana, MO as it crossed the Mississippi. I was on Highway 54 south of Rockport, IL looking east towards MO. It wass tornado warned at the time. Had a lot of scud and two funnel clouds but there weren't damage reports so might not of TD.

http://youtu.be/q2AWVATyDck

Do you guys think this woll be final already, or we get a preliminary EF4 like Vilonia and they look around for a couple more days to confirm or upgrade it?

I doubt there will be an upgrade to EF5.

The tornado was likely at it's strongest after it clipped Rochelle, when it was over open country.

Been on one of the survey teams today, on the end of the significant damage path just northeast of Fairdale to southeast of Belvidere. The other 2 teams focused on Fairdale and near Rochelle. Sobering stuff. Saw the worst damage I've surveyed, including a large section of a home destroyed, very high end tree damage with debarking of a few trees and well over 100 hardwood and softwood trees snapped/twisted/uprooted and many of them tossed, and the complete destruction of well built 2 story barns. Thr most interesting damage I saw was the convergent scouring (or what looked to be) of asphalt pavement about 1/8" deep on the road nearest where we observed the worst property damage. Couldn't tell if it was completely caused by the tornado or debris in the circulation. Overall, having been Gino's warning assistant last night and then on a survey today, it's been a pretty emotional experience. But I'm proud to have been a part of the efforts of my office on this event. It's really a miracle that the tornado didn't hit more populated areas and create a mass casualty situation. We're lucky.

PNS statement: http://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/wx/afos/p.php?pil=PNSLOT&e=201504102054

That supercell was bad news almost from the point of initiation to the SE of the DVN/QC area storm. You could tell its updraft was stronger than the rest and it developed potent mid level rotation very quickly. This, plus the obvious wind profile improvement from 18z to 00z at ILX (plus the backing low level winds near the warm front and moisture pooling), made it clear that something was likely going to happen. That said, I'm not sure I expected a tornado of such magnitude regardless.

00_lr3c.gif

ILX.gif

ILX.gif

Archived