• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
April 8-10 Severe threat

Fairdale isn't as small as you guys think, 2,200ish people there. Still many missing.

I live about 15 miles south of Fairdale and I can tell you for certain that within the town proper, 500 people would be a very generous number. There might be 2200 in the entire township, but even that seems really high.

• Replies 927
  • Created
  • Last Reply

always love these obs over/near the water

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT  
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO/ROMEOVILLE IL  
949 PM CDT THU APR 09 2015  

.TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON  

.DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE.  

..REMARKS..  

0830 PM     TSTM WND GST     6 SSE BEACH PARK        42.34N 87.81W   
04/09/2015  M91 MPH          LMZ740             IL   C-MAN STATION     

MEASURED AT WAUKEGAN HARBOR.

Very eerie feeling to have the temperature rise 3 degrees during a heavy thunderstorm, which it just did here and at DTW. The dew point also has risen to 64... definitely can tell a very dynamic and rare setup is going on in the region.

Indeed.

I was out and about most of the day. I was freezing my azz off through about mid-afternoon (like a January stratiform rains type of day), then I noticed that it got drastically warmer/more humid outside...

always love these obs over/near the water

Was just about to post that. Didn't realize winds were gusting that strong across the county!

3.3" of rain total in the last 24 hours here. Standing water everywhere this evening.

Some post-frontal fun, but won't help in the areas that were hit

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE  
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO IL  
1027 PM CDT THU APR 9 2015  

..STRONG WESTERLY WINDS DEVELOPING BEHIND A COLD FRONT  

ILZ003>006-008-010>014-019>023-032-033-039-INZ001-002-010-011-019-  
100900-  
/O.NEW.KLOT.WI.Y.0003.150410T0327Z-150410T0900Z/  
WINNEBAGO-BOONE-MCHENRY-LAKE IL-OGLE-LEE-DE KALB-KANE-DUPAGE-COOK-  
LA SALLE-KENDALL-GRUNDY-WILL-KANKAKEE-LIVINGSTON-IROQUOIS-FORD-  
LAKE IN-PORTER-NEWTON-JASPER-BENTON-  
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...ROCKFORD...BELVIDERE...WOODSTOCK...  
WAUKEGAN...OREGON...DIXON...DEKALB...AURORA...WHEATON...CHICAGO...  
OTTAWA...OSWEGO...MORRIS...JOLIET...KANKAKEE...PONTIAC...  
WATSEKA...PAXTON...GARY...VALPARAISO...MOROCCO...RENSSELAER...  
FOWLER  
1027 PM CDT THU APR 9 2015  

..WIND ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 4 AM CDT /5 AM EDT/ FRIDAY  

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN CHICAGO HAS ISSUED A WIND  
ADVISORY...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 4 AM CDT /5 AM EDT/ FRIDAY.   

* TIMING...THROUGH EARLY FRIDAY MORNING.  

* WINDS...25 TO 35 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 50 MPH.  

* IMPACTS...STRONG WINDS WILL OCCUR OVER AREAS HIT BY THE STRONG  
  STORMS EARLIER...INCLUDING AREAS THAT MAY HAVE SUSTAINED STORM  
  DAMAGE.

:o Woah, now that was something else. Basically starring into the abyss at its closest approach. 30% into it, it has one of the best fright-train sounds I've heard for a tornado video then the truly insane stuff after. I really really wish that video was in 720p or higher resolution. Is it pixelated for anyone else?

Oh TV news personalities, you never cease to amaze.

I checked CNN at 10 pm and stupid stuff was said as predicted. Clichés, dumb questions, and falsehoods all thrown in.

Wow... Winds gusting well into the 50mph range out in these areas that were hit. Sustained winds over 30mph moving across DeKalb County and west of there right now.

Loose debris is going to flying around.

I just came in from doing chores and it sounded like the barn was going to fall down. Strongest winds of the entire winter or spring this year.

What a day...

Like usual on local chases I was slow/pessimistic to leave, and didn't get out to door until about 1:45. Had an initial target of Dixon, given the warm front was in the area and there was and OFB just to the north. Made it to Dixon as an initial storm was moving in. It featured a nice base/lowering for a time, but weakened as it pushed northeast. After it passed we waited in Dixon for quite a while to see how things would play out. New storms developed to our southwest and started to look interesting. We ended up heading north to make a play on one of the storms, which was now just to our west. This storm went on to be the Rockford tornadic storm. We got a view on it and a nice base/lowering while on the northwest side of Dixon. We continued to follow it north towards White Pines State Park, and then east through Oregon. East east of Oregon we witnessed two brief touchdowns to our north (storm was near RFD airport at the time). We continued to stair-step northeast with the storm, before finally dropping off of it as we sat south of I-90 and it continued northeast through Boone and McHenry counties.

At this time we headed back south to make a play on the what would become the Rochelle storm. After heading south for just a few miles on Irene Rd we got view of the tornado to our southwest. We pulled off to the side just north of Route 72, as we were in perfect position. We had a good view of the tornado for a decent amount of time, and were within about a 1/2 mile at the nearest point. This tornado probably featured the second best motion I've seen, only behind Moore '13 and ahead of Wayne 13'. ...Multiple vorticies, suction vorticies, a horizontal vortex aloft and a satellite tornado that ended up touching down in the field next to us about 1/4 mile away. We continued to jog north/east and stayed with the storm and witnessed two other brief satellite touchdowns to our north while on Glidden Rd.

Unfortunately, this fool left his camcorder on all day so the battery was dead by the time tors started happening, so I didn't get any quality video. Luckily I did get some pictures and some crappy cell phone video, which will be posted tomorrow.

The livestormmedia footage shows the tornado just going absolutely nuclear with multiple vortices and insane motion. I can't recall a tornado that looked so close to a Plains tornado in a while. I wouldn't be surprised if this was rated as a violent tornado.

Sent from my GS5

Looks almost like a carbon copy of this tornado (Jordan, IA on 6/13/76).

577886998_e26aa6f8af.jpg

As bad as this was for Fairdale/vicinity, it took almost the ideal track to avoid hitting any larger centers of population. Further west and it probably plows into Rockford/suburbs (depending on its actual path length) and the larger towns in central Ogle County. Further east and it hits Rochelle, Kirkland and probably Marengo (again depending on path length). Then you start talking about the whole Chicago situation, which would've literally been the nightmare scenario (large violent tornado plowing right into the metro). Seems Chicagoland has bought its time once again.

Noticed some minor damage and of course some localized flooding this morning. Few roads flooded over just west of here. Saw a couple small trees snapped off at ground level and some limbs up to 4" broke off. Also saw a few light poles and a flag pole bent over as well in Kenosha. There was probably some wind gusts up near 60 mph in the area last night.

In that picture of Fairdale above - that house that appears intact in the lower left side was on the news. On one side there is a gapping hole in it and looked fairly gutted inside.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1428671183.316733.jpg first aerial damage photo I've seen

About 10 years ago, I knew the people who lived in this house. They were just casual acquaintances, and I do not know if they still lived there. The house was a pretty large converted church.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.101373,-88.93128,3a,75y,143h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sNJy5dPDzKipF6X5Dif11Zw!2e0

post-10121-0-37053200-1428678905_thumb.j

post-10121-0-62781900-1428679466_thumb.p

Archived