Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 6th Annual SNE Lawn Thread - 2015

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lime or calcium to boost PH. Then maybe some loam or new soil and seed.

Yeah. Pretty straightforward combo

Neutralize it, then get some dirt there (good,stuff). A few bags of topsoil should do it.

Then seed and water it

I had kept the lawn there free of snow during Feb and March to make it easier for my MIL...probably killed the lawn in the process

I love when two oaks grow together at the base.  Hopefully yours reaches the outrageous size of the one that grows along my property line... you'd should see them.  The base of the V is like a sequoia.

How about when 5 grow together, and it's right near your house so you have to have them wired together and you get a quote for $2,000 to have them taken down . :axe:  :axe:  :axe:  :axe: 

EB6ABE81-CA6A-4A15-86BA-6B41BAD2D1BB_zps

Inosculation

I used peat moss as my top dressing in last renovation at my old house. It's organic, holds moisture very well keeping seeds from drying out and helps prevent washouts from downpours. It worked well.

how thick do you apply the peat moss? i am seeding some bare spots and was thinking about covering with peat.

how thick do you apply the peat moss? i am seeding some bare spots and was thinking about covering with peat.

1/4".  Does need to be much, thin layer.   Its hard to spread perfectly even, but 1/4" or somewhere near there is good.

You need to makes sure you get the Peat totally saturated.  You might water it and the top looks wet, but underneath its dry as a bone. As I mentioned before, Peat is hydrophobic, you really need to water it well to get it thoroughly saturated.  Water and then check to see if you are getting it totally saturated through.  Peat does no good if you are only keeping the top layer of Peat wet and no water is getting to the seeds.

But the beauty is, that once its saturated it can stay damp longer and keep the seeds the moist, which is good.

1/4".  Does need to be much, thin layer.   Its hard to spread perfectly even, but 1/4" or somewhere near there is good.

You need to makes sure you get the Peat totally saturated.  You might water it and the top looks wet, but underneath its dry as a bone. As I mentioned before, Peat is hydrophobic, you really need to water it well to get it thoroughly saturated.  Water and then check to see if you are getting it totally saturated through.  Peat does no good if you are only keeping the top layer of Peat wet and no water is getting to the seeds.

But the beauty is, that once its saturated it can stay damp longer and keep the seeds the moist, which is good.

50/50 mix of compost/peat is always a good choice too.

Started spraying the WBG last night using a 4gallon backpack sprayer. We've got 19,000 sqft of lawn. Screw that, it'll take forever to spray. We've got the Ortho Dial-a-Dose hose attachment. Hoping this works better and is faster.

You can buy the bottles that come with the hose attachment built in.

great thanks

How about when 5 grow together, and it's right near your house so you have to have them wired together and you get a quote for $2,000 to have them taken down . :axe:  :axe:  :axe:  :axe: 

EB6ABE81-CA6A-4A15-86BA-6B41BAD2D1BB_zps

I think it highly probable that there's an old stump buried in the midst of that clump, and that the trees are the result of sprouting when the original one was cut or broken, more likely the former.  Good chance that Scott's pair started out the same way, as oaks are almost as good as red maple in forming sprout clumps.  Unfortunately, trees with narrow V notches are at risk of being split by ice or wet snow, with white ash and red oak at the top of that list.  Saw that frequently during/following the 1998 ice storm.

I think it highly probable that there's an old stump buried in the midst of that clump, and that the trees are the result of sprouting when the original one was cut or broken, more likely the former. Good chance that Scott's pair started out the same way, as oaks are almost as good as red maple in forming sprout clumps. Unfortunately, trees with narrow V notches are at risk of being split by ice or wet snow, with white ash and red oak at the top of that list. Saw that frequently during/following the 1998 ice storm.

I was thinking these were purposely planted like this in a circle. House was built in 1969, but this beast looks older than that. What do you think the chances are of one or more snapping? They are wired together ( previous homeowner) but I had a tree guy take some limbs off last summer and he told me two of them are broken. As you can see ,it is dangerously close to house . It provides tons of shade during afternoon in summer and people rave about how beautiful it is, but I am not a fan . Is it more likely one top would snap off or several? is this a Red Oak? The whole neighborhood is one big Oak forest disaster. Look at the base.. It's massive

E109FE6E-CE15-4D52-BC1A-86418F3C6559_zps

09606EFA-D49E-44FC-96D4-B282E07CDFEA_zps

51090127-D151-4687-A304-1A662CA37F3F_zps

I was thinking these were purposely planted like this in a circle. House was built in 1969, but this beast looks older than that. What do you think the chances are of one or more snapping? They are wired together ( previous homeowner) but I had a tree guy take some limbs off last summer and he told me two of them are broken. As you can see ,it is dangerously close to house . It provides tons of shade during afternoon in summer and people rave about how beautiful it is, but I am not a fan . Is it more likely one top would snap off or several? is this a Red Oak? The whole neighborhood is one big Oak forest disaster. Look at the base.. It's massive

E109FE6E-CE15-4D52-BC1A-86418F3C6559_zps

09606EFA-D49E-44FC-96D4-B282E07CDFEA_zps

51090127-D151-4687-A304-1A662CA37F3F_zps

I think that Oak is pretty sweet looking. Whether it safe or not, that's a different story I guess.

Used old bag of scott's instead of lesco in one section. Fail

View from second floor window. d5c634f7958fac5955dbe13ae9656713.jpg

Scott's grass seed? How old was the seed?unless the bag was 3-5 years old and not stored properly, it still should have come up fine. LESCO seed might have better cultivars, but the germination rates should be similar with Scotts.

Scott's seed isnt necessarily bad, they just use old cultivars that don't have the color, texture,growth habits of better seed companies. Most people would think a Scott's lawn would look really nice if it was put in with the proper steps.

Archived