• 20 to 24
    • 25 or more
  5. 5. How many SLGT risk outlooks?

• Less than 10
    • 10 to 14
    • 15 to 19
    • 20 to 24
    • 25 or more

What are your thoughts on Day 1 MRGL, SLGT and MDT risk severe outlooks issued by the Storm Prediction Center in New England this year? The poll will close at 11:59 p.m. March 31st and I will post the entries. (Please include specific dates and exact numbers of each outlook to be entered into the contest)

Last year, the SEE TEXT outlook is equivalent to the MRGL outlook going forward. This poll considers only Day 1 outlooks and not outlooks from days 2-8, as they could be eliminated prior to a potential non-event.

2014 stats:

Date of first SEE TEXT outlook - May 10th 1630z (SW New England)

• 16 SEE TEXT outlooks (not including days that had prior or subsequent SLGT)

Date of first SLGT outlook - May 27th 1300z (W New England)

• 17 total SLGT outlooks

No MDT risk outlooks - Last was September 8th, 2012 (Much of New England)

The winner will simply have the least error points. There will be one error point for each day off and number of outlooks off. I'm still working out some thoughts for a potential tiebreaker. Any ideas? I toyed with the MDT risk category, but that may not help. Maybe total number of tornadoes in New England in 2015?

Since when do we have risks in April? lol.. And especially this year with the cold sst'.. Any S or SW wind will kill chances . Might have to wait till June

4/28/2011

4/29/2002

For SLGT risks. Plenty of SEE TEXT outlooks in the month of April over the years.

Since when do we have risks in April? lol.. And especially this year with the cold sst'.. Any S or SW wind will kill chances . Might have to wait till June

I think you mean SE.

Cold SSTAs off the Atlantic coast aren't going to prevent a severe weather chance if the setup is conducive.

So now I have to remember what I voted? Goes back to see ...

First marginal risk around April 11th.

First slight risk either then or April 12th.

Two moderate risks around May 25th and June 8th

Marginal risks 17 slight risks 13

In general quite an active season as rapid warming of central plains May-June pushes most active severe weather zone north into northern plains, Great Lakes, always a good recipe for New England to cash in.

Just a question though, is it not possible for the first marginal risk to be after the first slight risk depending on how they call them? How do you count it if a marginal risk is updated during the day to a slight risk? This is what I am foreseeing with my similar dates above.

Just a question though, is it not possible for the first marginal risk to be after the first slight risk depending on how they call them? How do you count it if a marginal risk is updated during the day to a slight risk? This is what I am foreseeing with my similar dates above.

Technically, the first MRGL and SLGT risks could fall on the same day. For the total counts, I consider individual days and the "highest" risk issued on that particular day.

Voting continues for two more days! So far, most seem to think the season will start late and be quieter than average. With that said, 70% also believe there will be at least one moderate risk outlook covering New England at some point this spring/summer.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Stats to-date:

First MRGL risk: April 3rd 1633z 

First SLGT risk: May 27th 0551z (same date as 2014)

No MDT risks

MRGL risks: 18 (does not include days that became SLGT and/or ENH risk)

SLGT risks: 10 (does include ENH risks)

ENH risks: June 23rd and July 20th 

Still some time to go and September can occasionally produce a higher end risk, such as an ENH or even MDT, as the last MDT risk was September 8th, 2012.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Now up to 22 MRGL risks for the year, but none since October 28th.

No changes since then, so the final tallies stand at 22 MRGL, 10 SLGT and 2 ENH risk outlooks.

Also "just" three tornadoes reported in New England in 2015, two below the 25-year average of five:

https://twitter.com/GCarbin/status/665186624335048705

For further discussion on the 2016 season, visit Wiz's Countdown to May 1 thread.

No changes since then, so the final tallies stand at 22 MRGL, 10 SLGT and 2 ENH risk outlooks.

Also "just" three tornadoes reported in New England in 2015, two below the 25-year average of five:

https://twitter.com/GCarbin/status/665186624335048705

For further discussion on the 2016 season, visit Wiz's Countdown to May 1 thread.

2015 sucked.  Hopefully 2016 is much better.  Plus now that I have a car I can go whenever and wherever :tomato:

Archived