• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring and Summer '15 Photo Thread

snowfan

It's about that time of year again. Flowers are starting to sprout, grass is turning green and there's mud everywhere. Some early Cherry Blossoms are blooming already in DC, but the main show on the tidal basin is still a few weeks away. Based on what I saw Thursday evening, I'd expect peak to be pretty close to what CWG/NPS have forecast. Post what ya got in this thread. Well, keep the naked selfies for your own personal file or send them to rr. 

Anyway, daffodils in my neighborhood are coming along nicely. I'd expect to see some of them in bloom by the end of the week. Here's a pic of some of those that are not quite as tall as the others. 

VACO7Ia.jpg

And here are two obstructed view pics of a hawk that's been hanging around the woods getting fat on squirrels, chipmunks and whatever else he may be eating. 

5bhegrW.jpg

fY73YL1.jpg

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

A few pics from the past week. It's about damn near impossible to get anything original at the tidal basin, so these are all pretty much standard blossom pics. One of these years I'll head up to Kenwood in MoCo instead of the Basin. 

16414669024_f153f03fe9_z.jpg

16906111269_2bf2e75b70_z.jpg

16490252444_df86aaf587_z.jpg

16492625514_316980d792_z.jpg

17114592161_c715f70995_z.jpg

17126941982_5c49b12b60_z.jpg

Learning my DSLR... full set: https://www.flickr.com/photos/madusweather/sets/72157649629604234/

Here's a couple I haven't posted to Twitter already.

attachicon.gif20150413_MLK2_1080.png

attachicon.gif20140413_PinkRacers1_1080.png

Nice (not just these, but all the ones in this thread too)!  I particularly like the one of MLK's face, slightly blurred in the background, and outlined by the cherry blossoms.

Will have to check some of the ones I took recently, maybe will post a couple here when I get a chance.  I treated myself recently to a new 35mm/f2 lens for general "walk around" purposes, and so far have liked it.

------------------------------

ETA:  Here are a couple of photos from near where I live.  One is looking up into a cherry tree and the other is from a bed of daffodils.

Cherry Tree:

post-1508-0-43202100-1429133304_thumb.jp

Daffodils:

post-1508-0-33597600-1429133347_thumb.jp

Nice shots, snowfan.  I like the sunrise/sunset picture a lot.

This might be inappropriate, and if so, mods please remove, but I've got a very good condition Nikon D80 with a Nikon 3.5 - 5.6, 18 - 135 lens that I was going to sell to a camera store.  However, I'd rather pass the discount to someone here, so if you're interested, PM me.

Nice shots, snowfan.  I like the sunrise/sunset picture a lot.

This might be inappropriate, and if so, mods please remove, but I've got a very good condition Nikon D80 with a Nikon 3.5 - 5.6, 18 - 135 lens that I was going to sell to a camera store.  However, I'd rather pass the discount to someone here, so if you're interested, PM me.

Well, I hope it's not too inappropriate to follow up on your possibly inappropriate comment :D ...but I just saw this and thought I'd offer a suggestion (if I may!).  My experience trying to sell to a stand-alone camera store (such as something like a Ritz camera) is that they either don't do it or if they do you'll get a lousy return.  Not criticizing those establishments per se, a store like that typically wouldn't be in the business of buying used stuff and then having to re-sell it.

If you can't find someone to buy them directly, I'd recommend checking out KEH camera to sell your items (check them out online for details).  They're actually in the business of buying and selling lots of used photo equipment and give a decent return on items they buy from you.  Maybe not as good as if you sold it to an individual, but still pretty fair.  I've used them myself to sell a couple of things and also bought a used camera from them last year.  They're very well-known, trustworthy, and very good.  You can get an online quote of what they'll offer you for used items you'd like to sell (based on your estimate of the condition), and then you just pack and ship it to them (they even cover the cost of that and e-mail you a label).  Once they evaluate it they'll send you a check.  I think you can ask that they contact you with the final estimate for your approval if it's less than what the online quote stated (in which case, you can accept it and get the check, or reject and have them send your stuff back).  Hope this helps!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know exactly why, but Mrs. J's picture makes me think of being a kid and reading "Charlotte's Web." I loved that book.

Well, I hope it's not too inappropriate to follow up on your possibly inappropriate comment :D ...but I just saw this and thought I'd offer a suggestion (if I may!). My experience trying to sell to a stand-alone camera store (such as something like a Ritz camera) is that they either don't do it or if they do you'll get a lousy return. Not criticizing those establishments per se, a store like that typically wouldn't be in the business of buying used stuff and then having to re-sell it.

If you can't find someone to buy them directly, I'd recommend checking out KEH camera to sell your items (check them out online for details). They're actually in the business of buying and selling lots of used photo equipment and give a decent return on items they buy from you. Maybe not as good as if you sold it to an individual, but still pretty fair. I've used them myself to sell a couple of things and also bought a used camera from them last year. They're very well-known, trustworthy, and very good. You can get an online quote of what they'll offer you for used items you'd like to sell (based on your estimate of the condition), and then you just pack and ship it to them (they even cover the cost of that and e-mail you a label). Once they evaluate it they'll send you a check. I think you can ask that they contact you with the final estimate for your approval if it's less than what the online quote stated (in which case, you can accept it and get the check, or reject and have them send your stuff back). Hope this helps!

Thanks for the info! I'll defintitely look into that. :)

By the way, great pictures, everyone!

Last of the tulips here.  Even with the extended cold period in March, the mid-April warmth really got things rolling.  Sad to see the last of the Spring flowers with this current warmth.  On to summer themes like BBQs and the beach.

post-12497-0-22260000-1430915162_thumb.j

Archived