Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 20th White Rain/Slush Event Discussion and Obs

yoda

My hood. We will see.

Where you are, is even better. Rt 9 is snow heaven. That is all elevation. I wish to g-d that I could go there tonight. Snow, and lots of it. Dynamics too. Get a blower. This stuff is gonna be HEAVY. You're WEST and ELEVATED. orographics FTW!  :snowing:  :snowing:  :snowing:  :snowing:  :snowing:

You're in a bullseye for snow. Ridgetops will be obliterated

You want snow. Go to Mannings West Virginia. Get on RT 9 and go the old way thru Mannings. Climb that big ridge, it tops out at 1680 feet. They might get a foot up there! Elevation + far west + OROGRAPHIC FORCING man that is a big WIN in every way! Absolutely Sick, OBSCENE snow rates up there! It beats winning the fire bet at Horseshoe in Balto every time!

• Replies 932
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where you are, is even better. Rt 9 is snow heaven. That is all elevation. I wish to g-d that I could go there tonight. Snow, and lots of it. Dynamics too. Get a blower. This stuff is gonna be HEAVY. You're WEST and ELEVATED. orographics FTW! :snowing::snowing::snowing::snowing::snowing:

You're in a bullseye for snow. Ridgetops will be obliterated

You want snow. Go to Mannings West Virginia. Get on RT 9 and go the old way thru Mannings. Climb that big ridge, it tops out at 1680 feet. They might get a foot up there! Elevation + far west + OROGRAPHIC FORCING man that is a big WIN in every way! Absolutely Sick, OBSCENE snow rates up there! It beats winning the fire bet at Horseshoe in Balto every time!

Man. I just hope it isn't slop. I think we have been here before and it wasn't pretty. Though I could get some wet snow and Leeburg will get slush.

Man. I just hope it isn't slop. I think we have been here before and it wasn't pretty. Though I could get some wet snow and Leeburg will get slush.

You'll get good wet packable snow. Leesburg will be fine too. You are both well west of the cities. This is a WEST and ELEVATION event. You both qualify. Leesburg has at least 300-500 feet ASL. You'll do fine.

Final Call for DC proper for tomorrow, March 20th -

2 am - 5 am: Light rain/mix transitioning to snow as temperatures fall from around 40 to the mid 30s.

5 am - Noon: Snow, possibly moderate to heavy at times, mixing with rain during lighter periods. Temps 33-35.

Noon - 5pm: Snow mixes with rain, and may become all rain as the afternoon progresses, before tapering off and ending. Temps in the mid 30s.

Total snow accumulation: 1-2" (2-3" for Upper NW above 300')

Note - I don't see much accumulation, if at all, on paved surfaces, especially after sunrise. During any lulls, snow will melt and compact. We may never hit freezing. Still should be enough for some nice ambiance and scenery. Not unlike the March 25th event last winter. 

Final Call for DC proper for tomorrow, March 20th -

2 am - 5 am: Light rain/mix transitioning to snow as temperatures fall from around 40 to the mid 30s.

5 am - Noon: Snow, possibly moderate to heavy at times, mixing with rain during lighter periods. Temps 33-35.

Noon - 5pm: Snow mixes with rain, and may become all rain as the afternoon progresses, before tapering off and ending. Temps in the mid 30s.

Total snow accumulation: 1-2" (2-3" for Upper NW above 300')

Note - I don't see much accumulation, if at all, on paved surfaces, especially after sunrise. During any lulls, snow will melt and compact. We may never hit freezing. Still should be enough for some nice ambiance and scenery. Not unlike the March 25th event last winter. 

good call!

45/21 here currently.

No idea what to expect here. Haven't followed closely at all...not been too interested. Maybe an inch at most? I wont even be here so it doesn't really matter lol. It should all be long gone by the time I get home in the evening. Fertilizer/crab grass preventer going down when I get home if its not raining.

Rain gauges all set up in the backyard in anticipation of a good soaking rain, with a few snowflakes mixed in.  Some SnowTV expected here. Coating no longer expected. At least my car wont get all gunked up again. Gotta love living in a bona fide south maryland climatic zone.  :axe: Yeah. I finally got the memo: Although I reside in northeastern Virginia, I have lower south Maryland weather, particularly with a 60 foot elevation. Know it. Live it. Love it. As soon as we hit the upper 60s on Saturday, grass should explode, rainfall will only encourage its growth. I need to get my lawn mower checked out. Some grass blades in the back lawn already 6 inches tall!

Enjoy the snowstorm, central MD and mountains. This one's YOURS.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Manchester crew and I-83 blizz end up with 6"+

Elevation will matter, and at this time of the year and considering preceding temps, 900'+ areas have the best shot IMO. I can see this ending up a lot like the Thanksgiving storm

I wouldn't be surprised if the Manchester crew and I-83 blizz end up with 6"+

Elevation will matter, and at this time of the year and considering preceding temps, 900'+ areas have the best shot IMO

Agree. My opinion south/east of FDK/JYO have little chance of anything accumulating even on grass.

I dont think we have any blocking. Larry Cosgrove's pretty sharp. As long as he keeps on insisting that we will see blocking in late March, one of these years he will be correct. Not in 2015 however. He needs a new storyline, the block that never materializes is getting damn old. We'll be back above normal by this weekend.

Some blocking event! Ha ha ha.

I dont think we have any blocking. Larry Cosgrove's pretty sharp. As long as he keeps on insisting that we will see blocking in late March, one of these years he will be correct. Not in 2015 however. He needs a new storyline, the block that never materializes is getting damn old. We'll be back above normal by this weekend.

Some blocking event! Ha ha ha.

Blocking in late March...useless.

Archived