• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Space Weather Discussion

ApacheTrout

Yet another Earth directed coronal mass ejection erupted from the Sun this morning.  Modeling of the event predicts arrival June 27 at 1700 UT (13:00 EDT).  This event is expected to be weaker than the severe geomagnetic storm from earlier in the week.  SWPC forecasters are calling for Moderate (G2) geomagnetic storm conditions beginning June 27 and continuing into June 28

So models predict another daytime hit, but storming should persist into Fri night. G2 is enough to get it done here should the IMF be south.

Here is a link to a map which shows "dark sky" locations, which combined with a topo map, should be useful for finding good viewing spots:

http://www.jshine.net/astronomy/dark_sky/

And another:

http://darksitefinder.com/maps/unitedstates-15color.html

Berkshire East Ski area is probably in one of the darker parts of Massachusetts, and it has a large treeless parking lot that has a good view to the north.

In southern Vermont, check out the Green Mountain National Forest off Route 9 west of Brattleboro in the vicinity of the Deerfield River.  About 5 or 6 miles west of Wilmington, turn right onto Forest Road 71, follow for 12-13 miles and turn right onto Somerset Road, and follow for a few more miles until you get to the Somerset Reservoir.  There is plenty of parking and a great view to the north across the reservoir.  Or, follow Forest Road 71 north and look of clearings.  It's mostly wooded, but it promises to be very dark and there are some marshy clearings along it's length, including one at it's northerly terminus with Kelly Stand Road.  Primitive camping is permitted along Forest Road 71.  

Meh. The lack of light pollution would be sweet initially, but after the third week of not being able to upload the pictures, it might start tipping the scales toward 'no thanks'.

Lol, I didn't know they lasted that long, guess I have to read up on it. Would it be a disaster if we had one, or have enough protections been put in place?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Here is a link to a map which shows "dark sky" locations, which combined with a topo map, should be useful for finding good viewing spots:

http://www.jshine.net/astronomy/dark_sky/

And another:

http://darksitefinder.com/maps/unitedstates-15color.html

Berkshire East Ski area is probably in one of the darker parts of Massachusetts, and it has a large treeless parking lot that has a good view to the north.

In southern Vermont, check out the Green Mountain National Forest off Route 9 west of Brattleboro in the vicinity of the Deerfield River. About 5 or 6 miles west of Wilmington, turn right onto Forest Road 71, follow for 12-13 miles and turn right onto Somerset Road, and follow for a few more miles until you get to the Somerset Reservoir. There is plenty of parking and a great view to the north across the reservoir. Or, follow Forest Road 71 north and look of clearings. It's mostly wooded, but it promises to be very dark and there are some marshy clearings along it's length, including one at it's northerly terminus with Kelly Stand Road. Primitive camping is permitted along Forest Road 71.

The parking lot at berkshire east has way more trees than you'd like, and the mountain on the north side of route 2 would impede your horizon view significantly. It is possible to drive up top. I have viewed aurora from the top of flying cloud, but that view is more WNW. I had top relocate to by the wind turbine for better north views. Is tricky driving up there, but if you know how, it can be done.

Lol, I didn't know they lasted that long, guess I have to read up on it. Would it be a disaster if we had one, or have enough protections been put in place?

We'd be pretty well humped in the event of an 1859-esque storm, as far as I know. "$1 trillion to $2 trillion during the first year [...] with recovery times of 4 to 10 years, plus $40-$70 billion in losses to satellites, and that's before you even start to consider the "hundreds of Fukushimas" melting down. 

Sure would be pretty though. :)

Pretty meh looking CME.  Not surprising given the poor positioning of the originating sunspot.

G2 is a safe bet.  Nobody should have expectations of seeing anything worth getting out of your chair for.  This event is pretty much for cameras.

Well I wouldn't say that entirely but most likely yes. The G2 last fall gave a show here with visible rods etc. but it certainly didn't match up to earlier this week. A lot will ride on that IMF and if we get a lucky substorm as well.

Basically anywhere there is a clear view north. A mountaintop would be ideal but if not somewhere with a lot of open fields. For me that is up in the Swanton area outside of St. Albans. Obviously you can get darker skies in the NE Kingdom. I wonder if the south end of Lake Willoughby would be good out there. I should note as a rare occurrence the other night the aurora was nearly directly overhead at times and quite bright at times, but certainly away from city lights is almost always necessary. Friday night looks mostly clear up here so keep your fingers crossed!

I saw an amazing display one winter night up there over at Willoughby...I can't remember what year it was...probably 96 or 97.

What time did you witness the best stuff Monday night?

I saw an amazing display one winter night up there over at Willoughby...I can't remember what year it was...probably 96 or 97.

you saw the same aurora i did, it happened my freshman year at LSC which was 96-97...but i don't know if it happened right before 96 ended or right after 97 started...

Between approximately 11:30pm to 12:30am and it kept going but it became almost completely overcast at that point.

you saw the same aurora i did, it happened my freshman year at LSC which was 96-97...but i don't know if it happened right before 96 ended or right after 97 started...

Anytime between 96-98 I was probably seeing double.

Lisa has never seen me drunk. It's funny how you change with time. :lol:

Anytime between 96-98 I was probably seeing double.

Lisa has never seen me drunk. It's funny how you change with time. :lol:

dear lord, you were a big drinker...and i had my moments...now i have wine with thanksgiving dinner and i have a hangover before we even get to eating pie...yikes...don't get old, it sucks!!!

anyway, that rock on the hill behind whitelaw/crev near the road was where i sat to watch the aurora...drunk...so i'd like to see it not drunk some day

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Folks in the midwest reporting strong naked-eye auroras, even through the moonlight... I'd almost certainly have at least imageable lights if not for the dense overcast over my northern horizon.

MWN still in the clouds too, but reporting BINOVC now. So they might be able to spot any activity soon.