Welcome to American Weather
ApacheTrout

Space Weather Discussion

503 posts in this topic

Reds and violets are visible from the darkest locations in the strongest storms.  Cameras will pick reds up easily, but the human eye won't.  Most photos are long exposed and exaggerated in that sense,  but the one you posted is probably very close to accurate.  

I've only seen reds and violets twice.

Got my first reds in November I guess it was 2013 here at the office. It was pretty cool to be able to see that with the naked eye.

Ekster says this event Tuesday probably would've looked better in photos, but was more brief.

Nice show last night... best pillar structures I've seen. I think something knocked the focus ring on my camera after I left, as most of my shots are all too far out of focus to be usable. Impressive colors though.

QfjSYOFh.jpg

Nice show last night... best pillar structures I've seen. I think something knocked the focus ring on my camera after I left, as most of my shots are all too far out of focus to be usable. Impressive colors though.

QfjSYOFh.jpg

that's a beautiful picture.  How long did the display last?

Awesome shot - Did you get this in Dutchess Co?

Thanks guys.

Awesome shot - Did you get this in Dutchess Co?

Yep, right in my backyard near Millbrook around 2am.

that's a beautiful picture.  How long did the display last?

There was definitely color in the sky most of the night, but the strongest pillars/curtains were maybe like 15 minutes. Lots of folks in the Midwest say it was the best display in recent memory, and I believe it, but I just wish I was more prepared for it. The best auroras never happen when you track a CME for three days and set up your equipment hours in advance, but instead when you get a text at 12:45 am saying you need to get out whether your camera is charged or not...

any chances we see something tonight? 

We have better sky conditions so I hope so but I would say unlikely. However with that said last night's event was not really forecast either.

any chances we see something tonight? 

The magnetic field is definitely still disturbed, and with solar wind velocities way high and a -Bz component, it wouldn't take much to trigger some more storming I don't think. Like eyewall said, though, it's a shot in the dark most of the time.

The magnetic field is definitely still disturbed, and with solar wind velocities way high and a -Bz component, it wouldn't take much to trigger some more storming I don't think. Like eyewall said, though, it's a shot in the dark most of the time.

Yeah it won't happen because skies are clear here tonight.

:lol:

That's why the surprise events are the best... the clouds don't have time to conspire against us.

Yeah unfortunately the KP is down to 3 so I think any chance is done at this point.

Kp is currently pretty low, but bz looks great. Wonder if we see anything tonight? They say that the cme may have missed, but the #'s could improve tonight.

we're at kp=5, bz is slightly negative .. hopefully we can get these metrics to improve over the next couple hrs 

we're at kp=5, bz is slightly negative .. hopefully we can get these metrics to improve over the next couple hrs 

Looks quite good to me. I would no doubt be out with my camera if not for the dense overcast.

GVc4rgB.gif