Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Space Weather Discussion

ApacheTrout

19 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Maybe it is just me but everytime we have a potential there are cloudly skies or a bright moon.  Tomorrow night is a no go for NNE

Yeah that last one I saw before I left would have been epic but it was only seen through breaks in the clouds.

• 4 months later...

zzz

UPDATED GEOMAGNETIC STORM FORECAST: NOAA forecasters have downgraded the current geomagnetic storm watch from category G3 (strong) to category G2 (moderate). This is in response to a lack of significant CME impacts on Aug. 18th. CME impacts are still possible on Aug. 19th and 20th, however, especially from yesterday's partial halo CME, described below. High-latitude auroras remain likely as we enter the weekend.

• Sad 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Very active Solar/space weather implications ongoing ...

Nothing imminent, ...however, X1.9 class flare exploded from AR3181 yesterday (9th), and though no CME expulsion took place ( as well, it is escaping the eastern limb) there are two that have arrived over the western limb recently.  '82 and '84 both both are Earth aiming over the next day(s). Both contain unstable delta fields capable ( also ) of X class flares. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Pretty epic positive bust ... 

KpI of 8/ G4 mag raged on while of course cloudy in New England.   Seems we've have 7 or 8 Kp > 6 events in the past 15 years, and 100% of them were cloudy.  Heh.  

This one appears to have completely slipped by forecaster awareness, and it was potent too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Pretty epic positive bust ... 

KpI of 8/ G4 mag raged on while of course cloudy in New England.   Seems we've have 7 or 8 Kp > 6 events in the past 15 years, and 100% of them were cloudy.  Heh.  

This one appears to have completely slipped by forecaster awareness, and it was potent too.

I slept through it but clouds broke enough for a friend to capture them over Newfound Lake.  Camera's are always take longer exposures than the eye so they look more dramatic.  I saw them once,  I think 2003 and it was beautiful.  Still a total solar eclipse is the most spectacular experience.  Fingers crossed it will be clear in NNE next April 8th

Redmxxxan NL.jpg

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Professional Lurker said:

Why does it have to be cloudy?

Holy shit, I've never seen the Bz at -30

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

8ea3b6f2dad2a2bf1c40e0292e73f49d.jpg

It is also because I am on a trip to El Salvador and this was the one I needed to see them in NC.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 7 months later...
1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Nothing yet in the Kp…I guess it’s supposed to spike quite a bit though. 

I like the Spaceweather.com  site.  They say Dec 1rst but I guess that could be now since it's past 0Z.  The moon has now risen and the visibility was a bit hazy today too.  More importantly is what will happen up here on Monday.  GFS making steps towards Euro

45 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

Something arrived about 90 minutes ago... big jump in density but a pretty lame jump in solar wind speed.  Bz was down to -14 for a while and is now pretty choppy.  

This must be one of the weaker cme's ahead of the main event.

Give me a heads up if you see anything decent out there.B)