Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Space Weather Discussion

ApacheTrout

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

My guess is the naked eye couldn't capture that. Nothing beats 2003. That stopped traffic. 

I remember going outside on Winter Hill during that one and seeing it immediately when I went outside. Didn't even have to wait for my eyes to adjust to the dark.

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

I remember going outside on Winter Hill during that one and seeing it immediately when I went outside. Didn't even have to wait for my eyes to adjust to the dark.

It was bumper to bumper on rt 3 like at 9 at night. I had no idea why until I heard on WBZ radio that nrn lights were visible. I got home and looked up and could see the green tinge right away.

6 hours ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

What do we need at our latitude for the lights to be visible to the eye?

My experience is Kp of 7 or better.  Kp of 6 I get interested, but 7 is my go to number.   I dues the Space Weather. com alert system and have my text alerts start at 6,,, The 2003 event was a Kp of 9...  It was also exceptionally early in the evening for our area.  I was following reports form overseas during the late afternoon and once it exploded across Newfoundland with the Kp getting to 9, I called friends and family and told them to get ready to go outside.   You could see the glowing red light from inside your house here in western Connecticut.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, FXWX said:

My experience is Kp of 7 or better.  Kp of 6 I get interested, but 7 is my go to number.   I dues the Space Weather. com alert system and have my text alerts start at 6,,, The 2003 event was a Kp of 9...  It was also exceptionally early in the evening for our area.  I was following reports form overseas during the late afternoon and once it exploded across Newfoundland with the Kp getting to 9, I called friends and family and told them to get ready to go outside.   You could see the glowing red light from inside your house here in western Connecticut.  

Correction "I use"