Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Space Weather Discussion

ApacheTrout

1 hour ago, eyewall said:

23231611_10155244089114685_6394547134259

This is their shot from last night. They said it was brief and it doesn't appear it was super bright.

Looking at that shot I am trying to figure out the city light sources.  To the extreme right must be Berlin.  Maybe Littleton on the left?  Then on the far horizon that must be Montreal.  Years ago I did a winter overnight edu trip at the summit.  A noreaster was developing down in the mid-Atlantic and the cirrus shield had made it over SNE.  Boston's lights were quite visible reflecting up to the underside of the clouds.  Actually, this would be a neat question to the observers.  If a cirrus shield was over NYC would they be able to see the cirrus lit that far away.  I think it would be possible. For some reason the "how far can you see"  question has always interested me.

Edit.  Maybe the horizon lights are Burlington?

6 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Looking at that shot I am trying to figure out the city light sources.  To the extreme right must be Berlin.  Maybe Littleton on the left?  Then on the far horizon that must be Montreal.  Years ago I did a winter overnight edu trip at the summit.  A noreaster was developing down in the mid-Atlantic and the cirrus shield had made it over SNE.  Boston's lights were quite visible reflecting up to the underside of the clouds.  Actually, this would be a neat question to the observers.  If a cirrus shield was over NYC would they be able to see the cirrus lit that far away.  I think it would be possible. For some reason the "how far can you see"  question has always interested me.

Edit.  Maybe the horizon lights are Burlington?

I think the really bright lights on the far horizon toward the middle are from Montreal with Burlington as you said to the left side of the pic on the far horizon. As for the bright white lights on the left I am not sure.

• 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, Professional Lurker said:

Anybody besides me see the meteor yesterday evening? Just before 6pm, driving north on 91, saw a decent fireball. There were several reports from PA to ME.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Lots of people saw it all over New England.  My neighbor swears it landed just behind his house!  He said it went down just behind his trees.  Highly doubtful.  I told him he should take the day off and go into his woods and find it.  A 1 pound meteorite is worth about a million bucks!

Lots of people saw it all over New England.  My neighbor swears it landed just behind his house!  He said it went down just behind his trees.  Highly doubtful.  I told him he should take the day off and go into his woods and find it.  A 1 pound meteorite is worth about a million bucks!

Lol.

When people saw it from hundreds of miles away, it was pretty high up. ... not to mention, if it did survive, we would have heard reports of a big boom. No doubt he'd be searching those words for a while...

I've seen guestimates on size from golf ball to softball to basketball. There's video floating around from our NWS friends in Gray.

57 minutes ago, Professional Lurker said:

Anybody besides me see the meteor yesterday evening? Just before 6pm, driving north on 91, saw a decent fireball. There were several reports from PA to ME.

Crap. I need to view my cam now. I caught the one from a couple years ago.

17 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

I saw this one from IA. The DVN radar even picked up fragments of the trail on one elevated scan (lucky considering the volume scan in clear air takes about 10 minutes).

https://www.space.com/8243-meteor-fragment-wisconsin-fireball-discovered-farmer.html

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...