Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Space Weather Discussion

ApacheTrout

7 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Peeking out now. How far on the horizon? I see nada yet.

Just got back to the house.  It's really like 25 degrees or maybe 35 degrees above the horizon.  From my house with trees to my north I can't see anything.  If I drive up my road 1/2 mile to the hilltop and look to the north horizon over the S Whites its very clear.  The hilltop is pitch black with the Milky Way blazing.  So unless you can see to the north  (assuming no towns) you miss it.  Between me and the Whites there are almost no lights.  (Downtown Plymouth to the NE).  If they get brighter and I can see them from the house I will repost.  They seem to change in brightness minute by minute.  When I just left they were very dim again....

Similar trees to the north here...about 30deg. The tree line is along the bottom of the big dipper right now. I have some slight life to the north (rt 3...hannaford, cvs, etc) so maybe the bit of light is flooding it out. If i can't see it with the bare eyeit's a non event for me. I'll keep peeking a bit longer.

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

Similar trees to the north here...about 30deg. The tree line is along the bottom of the big dipper right now. I have some slight life to the north (rt 3...hannaford, cvs, etc) so maybe the bit of light is flooding it out. If i can't see it with the bare eyeit's a non event for me. I'll keep peeking a bit longer.

It was all below the Big Dipper angle.  Only 2 or 3 times  living here full time since 2001 have I seen AB near overhead.  I know you have Tilton's lights to your north too...

9 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

It was all below the Big Dipper angle.  Only 2 or 3 times  living here full time since 2001 have I seen AB near overhead.  I know you have Tilton's lights to your north too...

I haven't seen the real deal since the 03 event. Tilton is more NE of me than due north. I don't expect to see anything, but I'll glimpse out every so often. Thanks for the heads up.

2 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I haven't seen the real deal since the 03 event. Tilton is more NE of me than due north. I don't expect to see anything, but I'll glimpse out every so often. Thanks for the heads up.

Yes,  the 03 event was like "wow what is going on" .  Spectacular.  Going to drive up to the hill one more time right now...just to see if its brighter...

On 9/11/2017 at 1:07 PM, eyewall said:

Looks like the X8 flare on the sun's limb was enough to at least send some of the CME in our direction. We may see up to G2 storming tonight or more likely tomorrow night. The forecast is favorable for viewing as far as the weather goes. Obviously timing is everything. The moon phase is waning which is good as well.

looking on Twitter, I saw some nice aurora pics all the way down into Arkansas (Little Rock).  According to the people I talked to, this was the best display and flare in over a decade- I guess the sun's waking up!

• 2 weeks later...

I went up to the top of my hill last night and couldn't see anything.  My friend Dave setup at the foot of Newfound Lake and with a time exposure caught them very faintly.  Like the ones I briefly saw last week they are usually far on the north horizon.  The key lately is you really need to have an unobstructed north view without any city lights in that direction...

Here's the pic he posted on his site...

Untitled.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/28/2017 at 7:37 PM, wxeyeNH said:

I went up to the top of my hill last night and couldn't see anything.  My friend Dave setup at the foot of Newfound Lake and with a time exposure caught them very faintly.  Like the ones I briefly saw last week they are usually far on the north horizon.  The key lately is you really need to have an unobstructed north view without any city lights in that direction...

Here's the pic he posted on his site...

Untitled.jpg

Yeah it is absolutely about as faint as possible there and definitely wouldn't be naked eye visible. The  Bz was not in good position before the clouds rolled in. Those farther west in the US got a show later once it flipped south again.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got a ton of reports from friends//family of some good sightings of the Orionid Meteors tonight along the CT shoreline.

•  

One of the year's best sky shows will peak this weekend between Oct. 20 and 22, when the Orionid meteor shower reaches its best viewing. The meteors that streak across the sky are some of the fastest and brightest among meteor showers, because the Earth is hitting a stream of particles almost head on.

https://www.space.com/34373-orionid-meteor-shower-guide.html

• 3 weeks later...

KP index a 5 so I went to the top of the hill for a look.  Definite brightening on the north horizon but with the naked eye I could not make out any detail.  Need to be able to see to fairly low to the north to notice.  Moon rises around 9pm which will probably kill anything after that....