• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Space Weather Discussion

ApacheTrout

I didn't set up my camera until after the substorm started fading, figured I had more time than I did. Unlike with most events, the photos I got are actually less impressive than what I saw with the naked eye just moments before. Plus, I think I had my camera shooting at the wrong bit depth so the sky is all posterized. Urgh...

Bx1xCDO.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, ApacheTrout said:

Beautiful, eyewall.  I could only see the green faintly.  Was the pink visible to the naked eye?

Yes the pink was definitely naked eye visible and you could clearly see the color. These were only 4-6 second exposures at 1250 ISO. It didn't last long but it was bright when it was there.

On 9/8/2017 at 1:39 PM, eyewall said:

Yes the pink was definitely naked eye visible and you could clearly see the color. These were only 4-6 second exposures at 1250 ISO. It didn't last long but it was bright when it was there.

What was your f/number? Just curious.

Thursday night event was my first attempt at spotting northern lights and it was gorgeous to watch from Alton Bay around midnight! Wish low clouds to north weren't there or I would've gotten better pictures, but I'll take a solid green aurora band for my first attempt! Hopefully next good event will have pillars...

2 minutes ago, WxBlue said:

What was your f/number? Just curious.

Thursday night event was my first attempt at spotting northern lights and it was gorgeous to watch from Alton Bay around midnight! Wish low clouds to north weren't there or I would've gotten better pictures, but I'll take a solid green aurora band for my first attempt! Hopefully next good event will have pillars...

F2.8

Looks like the X8 flare on the sun's limb was enough to at least send some of the CME in our direction. We may see up to G2 storming tonight or more likely tomorrow night. The forecast is favorable for viewing as far as the weather goes. Obviously timing is everything. The moon phase is waning which is good as well.

• Like 1