• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Space Weather Discussion

ApacheTrout

How did you NH guys miss this last night???

Ginx,  I looked a couple of times but didn't see anything.  Quite a few clouds to my north over the Whites.  Looks like the main action was pretty close to the northern horizon in my neck of the woods.  I have noticed that a time exposure, even a short one will make the lights look better than what the naked eye sees.  

How did you NH guys miss this last night???

Nobody missed anything.  Looking at the number of stars in that photo tells me it's a looong exposure or shot with a very high iso.  The naked eye probably would have strained to see an imperceptible glow right along the horizon.  Yawn.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but if I can't see it I really don't care.  I don't see the point of taking pictures of a black sky so you can post it and make people think they missed something awesome.

• 3 weeks later...

anything good seen? 

Apparently someone in MN caught some, but I had to sleep and never saw a Kp that was impressive. It maxed out at G1. It looks like by the time it got going here it was nearing morning twilight and clouds moved in.

I really don't know much about Aurora's but did a quick look on space weather and they have it listed as "high" as of 5pm.

High+: 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Forecast: Auroral activity will be high(+). Weather permitting, highly active auroral displays will be visible overhead from Inuvik, Yellowknife, Rankin and Igaluit to Vancouver, Helena, Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Bay City, Toronto, Montpelier, and Charlottetown, and visible low on the horizon from Salem, Boise, Cheyenne, Lincoln, Indianapolis and Annapolis.

These types of events are not a dense cloud of plasma like a CME, they are basically just push brooms that gather things in front of them. You can see this if you look at the graphs... a pronounced spike in density, followed by an increase in the IMF, and then you get into the high speed wind stream.  Once you're into that stream (like we are now), the Bt falls to background levels and so even with a 100% south Bz, it's over.  

This one was pretty good... off the charts density, the Bt peaked near 40 and Bz dipped to -25. That would have been pretty epic BUT it wasn't sustained.  Not much will happen when the IMF graph looks like the EKG of a hummingbird.

Spaceweather has a photo posted from mass. Looked like bz dipped momentarilly. Dude must have pulled an all nighter for a view that only a camera can see.

Yeah I saw that photo this morning as well. It was 30 seconds with a wide open f stop. It was definitely not naked eye visible and even in the shot it is fairly dull.