• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Space Weather Discussion

ApacheTrout

Nice show last night... best pillar structures I've seen. I think something knocked the focus ring on my camera after I left, as most of my shots are all too far out of focus to be usable. Impressive colors though.

QfjSYOFh.jpg

that's a beautiful picture.  How long did the display last?

Nice show last night... best pillar structures I've seen. I think something knocked the focus ring on my camera after I left, as most of my shots are all too far out of focus to be usable. Impressive colors though.

Awesome shot - Did you get this in Dutchess Co?

Thanks guys.

Awesome shot - Did you get this in Dutchess Co?

Yep, right in my backyard near Millbrook around 2am.

that's a beautiful picture.  How long did the display last?

There was definitely color in the sky most of the night, but the strongest pillars/curtains were maybe like 15 minutes. Lots of folks in the Midwest say it was the best display in recent memory, and I believe it, but I just wish I was more prepared for it. The best auroras never happen when you track a CME for three days and set up your equipment hours in advance, but instead when you get a text at 12:45 am saying you need to get out whether your camera is charged or not...

The magnetic field is definitely still disturbed, and with solar wind velocities way high and a -Bz component, it wouldn't take much to trigger some more storming I don't think. Like eyewall said, though, it's a shot in the dark most of the time.

Yeah it won't happen because skies are clear here tonight.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sweet jesus, this is absolutely ideal and suitable for as much as G5 levels of storming.

Too bad it doesn't get dark until 10pm...  conditions usually don't stay quite this good for more than a few hours.

Solar Wind: 700.2

Density: 26.3

Btotal: 38.2 nT

Bz: 37 nT south

Yeah we may be scrambling for leftovers at dusk. I only hope it can hold on. It really doesn't get much better than that. G4 right now.