• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Space Weather Discussion

ApacheTrout

What you can get away with for ISO settings totally depends on your camera.  If you've got noise, it's set too high.

My camera is over a decade old and has horrible noise above ISO 200.  New cameras supposedly maintain decent quality and go up to 1600 or even 3200.

Secret tip:  Leave your camera outside.  Excessive grain/noise issues can be caused by heat on your cameras sensor, so keeping it cold makes a big difference.  You can really see this in action if you look at dendrites webcam in the winter vs summer.

I know for a fact that the Nikon D610 is very clean up to 6400, and useable much higher... and that's a "prosumer" model, not by any means top-of-theline. It's just outrageous the amount of information that modern digital sensors are able to glean from what are essentially stray photons. I mostly use my old D5000 on nights like tonight, when "good enough" quality will suffice, and I'll be leaving it by itself at times. It's definitely noisier, but one can generally compensate for mediocre cameras with a fast enough lens. 

I know for a fact that the Nikon D610 is very clean up to 6400, and useable much higher... and that's a "prosumer" model, not by any means top-of-theline. It's just outrageous the amount of information that modern digital sensors are able to glean from what are essentially stray photons. I mostly use my old D5000 on nights like tonight, when "good enough" quality will suffice, and I'll be leaving it by itself at times. It's definitely noisier, but one can generally compensate for mediocre cameras with a fast enough lens. 

Wow, that's really great.  I've kinda fallen out of photography so I'm not too up to date with the extent of the improvements.

Being able to take shorter exposures would really come in handy tonight.  My hands are like ice and I have to hold the shutter down because I don't have a cable release thingy.

Here are a few shots. To the naked eye they were a little brighter than the Milky Way at its peak but the color was definitely pretty clear. Obviously with longer exposures you get a brighter image. The clouds moved in shortly after these were shot and that was it for the night.

11041897_10102509744778259_6124443197092

10560380_10102509744957899_5983218191408

11062352_10102509744763289_7218432315927

Well at least we weren't let down after eagerly anticipating a major event for 72 hours or something (that's happened enough this cycle. I had almost forgotten about this CME until the indices started going bonkers this morning.

I saw the animation of the CME and wrote it off.... it didn't look too impressive... certainly didn't expect a G4 storm from it. Figured it would be a nice show for Alaska.

Here's the "best" shot of the night, out of something like 400. Kind of a deeper shade of green than I'm used to... more in-line with what someone would use for St. Paddy's Day. Festive!

0Anx5gA.jpg

Was this with the D5000?  I'm super jealous of how clean and crisp it is.  Really makes my camera (Nikon 8700) look pretty sad. 

Was this with the D5000?  I'm super jealous of how clean and crisp it is.  Really makes my camera (Nikon 8700) look pretty sad. 

Yup. f/2.4 and ISO 1250 for 15 seconds, unedited jpeg. I'd be happy to give you some suggestions if you decide to start looking into  new gear, though in today's day any basic dslr and lens kit would probably produce some decent results.

Pretty impressive how skillfully it managed to start fizzling as soon as the sun set.

Best photo I could manage from tonight with frozen hands and 300mph wind.

post-18-0-35043600-1426646550.jpg

Hey, that white house in the foreground looks familiar. ...must be your go-to aurora shot. I've got a similar one. I've got great views to the south, east, and west. ...but my north views are really limited.

Definitely blows that it fizzled. Looking at it all afternoon, I knew deep down in the back of my mind that it couldn't last.

I experimented last night with my new sony a58. Have no idea where my tripod was hiding, so it was an adventure. Next time I'll be sure to have it.

Weird that this thread is dead but just saw northern lights over Bartlett for the first time tonight. Faint greenish glow, pulsing between weaker and stronger. Very cool.

Last night was a good example of what a G1 geomagnetic storm will look like on a moonless night in NNE.  

Faint, but visible if you're looking.  They're never really reported or acknowledged because they're common, occurring on roughly 900 days each solar cycle.

Last night was somewhat noteworthy for a G1 in that the activity was weirdly high in the sky, meaning it was closer than normal. Also, as you noted the pulsing effect is a bit unexpected at such low activity levels.  When I saw it, a small patch of sky would gradually get brighter over about 15 seconds and then abruptly fade out over about 2 seconds.

Last night was a good example of what a G1 geomagnetic storm will look like on a moonless night in NNE.  

Faint, but visible if you're looking.  They're never really reported or acknowledged because they're common, occurring on roughly 900 days each solar cycle.

Last night was somewhat noteworthy for a G1 in that the activity was weirdly high in the sky, meaning it was closer than normal. Also, as you noted the pulsing effect is a bit unexpected at such low activity levels.  When I saw it, a small patch of sky would gradually get brighter over about 15 seconds and then abruptly fade out over about 2 seconds.

That's exactly how it was happening! I need to start paying attention to the sky, I didn't realize it was so common... 

That's exactly how it was happening! I need to start paying attention to the sky, I didn't realize it was so common... 

Since moving to work at GYX, I've seen them at the office at least a half dozen times in 5 years. And that's just at the whim of when I was on the schedule in the evenings.

I actually was able to see this past one with the naked eye in Portland.

Reds and violets are visible from the darkest locations in the strongest storms.  Cameras will pick reds up easily, but the human eye won't.  Most photos are long exposed and exaggerated in that sense,  but the one you posted is probably very close to accurate.  

I've only seen reds and violets twice.

Got my first reds in November I guess it was 2013 here at the office. It was pretty cool to be able to see that with the naked eye.

Ekster says this event Tuesday probably would've looked better in photos, but was more brief.