• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Space Weather Discussion

ApacheTrout

Are Bz and Kp related? For example will a positive Bz hurt the Kp or are the 2 indicies unrelated? 

Bz is measured a million miles out in space at the L1 point, and Kp is derived from how disturbed a global network of ground level magnetometers are.

A lower Bz will allow a greater disruption of the earths magnetic field and the Kp will rise as a result.

After years of trying to catch the odd spike to Kp 7, I'm not sure what I expected hours and hours of Kp 8 to look like, but it sure wasn't this. lol

Like you said, we're waiting for a substorm.  

Even with the 6 hours of Kp 9 in 2003, the actual show lasted maybe an hour before reverting to the bland green arc along the horizon.

Like you said, we're waiting for a substorm.  

Even with the 6 hours of Kp 9 in 2003, the actual show lasted maybe an hour before reverting to the bland green arc along the horizon.

Yeah? Wow, I didn't realize that. I only had a passing interest back then, so I don't think I spent more than a few moments looking upward for that one. It's pretty incredible to read the accounts of zenithal coronas over Chicago and NYC in 1859, 1882, etc., knowing how difficult it is to even see diffuse greens on the horizon.

I got lazy and hooked my camera up to an intervalometer for some warmup time indoors. Will check again in a bit.

I noticed the faint green on the northern horizon earlier too.

Yeah? Wow, I didn't realize that. I only had a passing interest back then, so I don't think I spent more than a few moments looking upward for that one. It's pretty incredible to read the accounts of zenithal coronas over Chicago and NYC in 1859, 1882, etc., knowing how difficult it is to even see diffuse greens on the horizon.

I got lazy and hooked my camera up to an intervalometer for some warmup time indoors. Will check again in a bit.

Time for Eek to post his 2003 corona.

Does the human eye see this. The pics out of Finland are surreal

IMG_20150317_210858.jpg

Reds and violets are visible from the darkest locations in the strongest storms.  Cameras will pick reds up easily, but the human eye won't.  Most photos are long exposed and exaggerated in that sense,  but the one you posted is probably very close to accurate.  

I've only seen reds and violets twice.

I saw stuff like that in 2003.

Reds and violets are visible from the darkest locations in the strongest storms.  Cameras will pick reds up easily, but the human eye won't.  Most photos are long exposed and exaggerated in that sense,  but the one you posted is probably very close to accurate.  

In the Lakes Region? That's awesome.

Reds and violets are visible from the darkest locations in the strongest storms. Cameras will pick reds up easily, but the human eye won't. Most photos are long exposed and exaggerated in that sense, but the one you posted is probably very close to accurate.

wow

Yes, 03 was amazing. Tonight, even with crap Bz, there's still a definite green glow to the north. Kp=8 will do that I guess. Without a doubt a kick in the nutsack the Bz shooting at like -18 all afternoon to head to -4ish right around dark, only to remain there now.

...think we're done?

Btw, took some pics, not worth uploading. What are you ruining for ISO on those pics? Everything I took tonight was horrifically grainy.

Btw, took some pics, not worth uploading. What are you ruining for ISO on those pics? Everything I took tonight was horrifically grainy.

What you can get away with for ISO settings totally depends on your camera.  If you've got noise, it's set too high.

My camera is over a decade old and has horrible noise above ISO 200.  New cameras supposedly maintain decent quality and go up to 1600 or even 3200.

Secret tip:  Leave your camera outside.  Excessive grain/noise issues can be caused by heat on your cameras sensor, so keeping it cold makes a big difference.  You can really see this in action if you look at dendrites webcam in the winter vs summer.

Saw some in Lowell MA of all places around 1989 or so

Cloudy to my north attm.

Probably.  I was at Lyndon at the time and it was an awesome show.   I think it was visible down to Florida on that one.

Just came in from taking a look and didn't see anything.  I don't have the best view to the north due to hills though.  The wind makes it tougher to stay out too long unless you're dressed for it.