• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Space Weather Discussion

ApacheTrout

That not-so-perfect period a few hours ago led to the slight kp drop.

Bt is climbing and Bz is dropping. Looks really good.  Wouldn't be surprised if it went back to 8, just need the density to stop dropping.

ace-mag-swepam-24-hour.gif

Get the camera ready. I'm contemplating turning the wx camera more northerly and upward tonight.

What is Bz? Why is it important?

It's basically the aurora light switch.  If the value is north (positive) nobody sees anything except santa.

"When Bz is south, that is, opposite Earth's magnetic field, the two fields link up," explains Christopher Russell, a Professor of Geophysics and Space Physics at UCLA. "You can then follow a field line from Earth directly into the solar wind" -- or from the solar wind to Earth. South-pointing Bz's open a door through which energy from the solar wind can reach Earth's atmosphere! Southward Bz's often herald widespread auroras, triggered by solar wind gusts or coronal mass ejections that are able to inject energy into our planet's magnetosphere. From: http://spaceweather.com/glossary/imf.html

Things holding steady in meh territory.

Took a photo of the west through a hole in the clouds, about 45 degrees above the horizon, and it's violet.  There is likely a greenish arc lower on the northern horizon hidden behind the squalls.

Damn squalls are 10 miles away and I'm getting wind blown snow from them.

Things holding steady in meh territory.

Took a photo of the west through a hole in the clouds, about 45 degrees above the horizon, and it's violet.  There is likely a greenish arc lower on the northern horizon hidden behind the squalls.

Damn squalls are 10 miles away and I'm getting wind blown snow from them.

Very faint green curtain structure on my LCD.

After years of trying to catch the odd spike to Kp 7, I'm not sure what I expected hours and hours of Kp 8 to look like, but it sure wasn't this. lol