Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
3/20-21 Potential Winter Storm

anthonyweather

0z Euro at KNYC is 32 , cooler than it`s 33 from 12z yesterday

Main roads could stay wet at KNYC , but just oustide the city this is a different story

Colder surfaces are in line for close to 6 inches in spots just outside the city .

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe the melting ice is keeping the coast hugging water cold.   CI SST was as low as 30degs in Feb with the ice nearby.  It is still in low 30's.     Salt water can go down to 28degs.    JAMSTEC shows widespread below normal SST's off coast for the next several months.   I don't get it either.

Thanks. Can you link me to the JAMSTEC product you are referring to?

Any similarities to April 03?

In April 82 , temps were in the mid and upper 20`s . This is getting colder and not far away from that . 

Euro is .6 - .8 

UKMET is .5- .8 

NAM is .5 - .8 

This has gotten wet and colder . 

Guest Pamela

If I recall correctly, we had 1" in the Edison area and there was 12-18" at 300+ feet in elevation along the Watchung ridges and NW of there.  Not 100% sure it was this storm, but there was a storm with those outcomes about 15-20 years ago...

April 1997...not March 1998.

Beautiful STJ exit region dynamics to work with here. Our epic back-loaded El Nino winter continues unabated.

attachicon.gifnamUS_250_spd_057.gif

What an incredible back end stretch  starting Feb 1 lasting  through   March 30 . With only a 7 day break . 

Think once to April 1 or 2 , the trough will back  west and it will end for us .  Great 8 week period 

What an Incredible back end stretch  starting Feb 1 thru  March 30 . With only a 7 day break . 

Think once to April 1 or 2 , the trough will back  west and it will end for us .  Great 8 week period 

Exactly, from January 23rd on has been the stuff that dreams are made of. 

Exactly, from January 23rd on has been the stuff that dreams are made of. 

We were all ready to jump off a cliff before then.  What a comeback.  This storm could pad the totals nicely.  For my area, BDR could go over 60 inches YTD with this storm if it works out.  LGA needs a 1/2 inch to go over 50.

I must be in the twilight zone. The 12z GFS brings the surface above freezing for most of NJ and NYC at hr 51 and 54. It's markedly warmer than 6z to my eyes. The later onset allows for more surface warming, and by the time we get to lower sun angle later in the day, 850s above 0c are on the doorstep.

I must be in the twilight zone. The 12z GFS brings the surface above freezing for most of NJ and NYC at hr 51 and 54. It's markedly warmer than 6z to my eyes. The later onset allows for more surface warming, and by the time we get to lower sun angle later in the day, 850s above 0c are on the doorstep.

NYC is at or below freezing the entire time on the GFS and who cares.

Late March storms usually snow at 32-34 degrees and the accumulations occur under heavy banding.

Archived