• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
3/20-21 Potential Winter Storm

anthonyweather

Clearing 3 inches in NYC after March 20th would be a significant late season snowfall event 

which hasn't happened since 1996.

http://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/orders/IPS/IPS-FE0E2916-3517-4B58-837B-1B122598B0E5.pdf

Both the UKMET and EURO are cold and wet enough to support that at the park .  ( Highways and main roads stay wet but this is still a great event for late March . )

I think those only  expecting 1 to 2  inches will be pleasantly surprised . Then again  the same crew said they were sure winter was over , that no more snow would accumulate this March , that  this would end up close to 50 degrees  and then ultimately this was going to go S and E .

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Both the UKMET and EURO are cold and wet enough to support that at the park .  ( Highways and main roads stay wet but this is still a great event for late March . )

I think those only  expecting 1 to 2  inches will be pleasantly surprised . Then again  the same crew said they were sure winter was over , that no more snow would accumulate this March , that  this would end up close to 50 degrees  and then ultimately this was going to go S and E .

Those potential amounts would let NYC move up several more notches on the top ten March snowiest list.

NYC had 5" on 3/22/98.

I remember because the season had only 0.5" up to that point.

You are correct. I didn't really remember that one since Long Beach looks like it was in the 2-3 inch range.

It was one of those ridiculously mild winters where I would get plenty of bike rides and walks in

after work on the boardwalk. That winter would have been epic if we had been cold with the

fire hose STJ.

http://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/orders/IPS/IPS-805CB4DC-D8E1-4830-B3BB-3B55EBC4FEBE.pdf

You are correct. I didn't really remember that one since Long Beach looks like it was in the 2-3 inch range.

It was one of those ridiculously mild winters where I would get plenty of bike rides and walks in

after work on the boardwalk. That winter would have been epic if we had been cold with the

fire hose STJ.

http://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/orders/IPS/IPS-805CB4DC-D8E1-4830-B3BB-3B55EBC4FEBE.pdf

Crappy winter, but at least my wedding on 2/16/98 wasn't impacted by snow.

Only winter where NYC saw more snow in astronomical spring than astronomical winter.

It didn't even count. Melted by noon.

The Euro has been quite consistent. Things still appear to be on reasonable course for a possible 3" or greater snowfall in and around the City, as the forecast pattern is little changed from previous days. Model differences are also beginning to narrow.

only 2" on Staten Island...

If I recall correctly, we had 1" in the Edison area and there was 12-18" at 300+ feet in elevation along the Watchung ridges and NW of there.  Not 100% sure it was this storm, but there was a storm with those outcomes about 15-20 years ago...

Snow88 - there's no point in reporting a 2nd decimal place, let alone the first one for a forecast whose accuracy is +/- at least 50%...

NYC had 5" on 3/22/98.

I remember because the season had only 0.5" up to that point.

i remember that year it was such a mild winter with mostly rainstorms. It was a strong El Niño winter which contributed to a mild winter. I was so happy we had gotten that 5 inches I ended up taking off from school just to walk around in the snow. I remember we weren't forecasted to get any snow. The previous day was a icy day with highs mostly in the low 30's than the overnight got hit with a surprise snowstorm. It was great. Hopefully we get something to that extent. That was some heavy wet snow but it came in during dawn and ended by 8-9am

1997-98 had a few light coatings of slush and sleet before March on Staten Island...snow stats from Doncat's Travis weather station...I remember some snow mixed with rain in December 97...

...............Oct..Nov....Dec....Jan...Feb...Mar...Apr...Total

1997-98....0.....0.1....2.3....1.5.....T......1.8.....0......5.7

Nam is coming in great for Philly and NYC. Looks similiar to the Euro. Surface temps in the mid to upper 20s for the area.

I'd be willing to put out a forecast for 2-4" of snow for NYC/LI based on the convergence of the American models towards the consistent Euro.

2lo2ikg.jpg

That's a good call right now.

Too simple a mechanism for calculating snow amounts during the off season.  2mTemps. in southern NJ are above freezing aren't they during the heaviest precip., while it is still daylight to boot.   Measured on a 500 foot hilly region this could be right.   Snow in the air but not on ground in southern NJ.

Too simple a mechanism for calculating snow amounts during the off season.  2mTemps. in southern NJ are above freezing aren't they during the heaviest precip., while it is still daylight to boot.   Measured on a 500 foot hilly region this could be right.   Snow in the air but not on ground in southern NJ.

Mid to upper 20s from Central Jersey northward.

Question-

The bouy reports off the coast of NJ and LI are reading mid to upper 30's. 

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/

The SST anomaly chart shows we are +3 to +5 off the US east coast. But our average water temp is not low 30's, right? So what's going on here?

http://www.ospo.noaa.gov/data/sst/anomaly/2015/anomw.3.16.2015.gif

Maybe the melting ice is keeping the coast hugging water cold.   CI SST was as low as 30degs in Feb with the ice nearby.  It is still in low 30's.     Salt water can go down to 28degs.    JAMSTEC shows widespread below normal SST's off coast for the next several months.   I don't get it either.

Archived