SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
3/20-21 Potential Winter Storm

anthonyweather

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whomever created those maps with the shading of the same color should be tarred and feathered. Every inch should be a new color. They are impossible to read without zooming. So stupid.

Yea it's awful. Have to count the shades to get an idea . By the way why are people fighting over an inch of snow lol. And that Gfs map seems way over done for north jersey IMO

It's crazy just thinking how snowy tomorrow will be. I can't wait to be honest with you. I would love for Tuesday's system to work out. Let's see what the latest models tell us. As for tomorrow I just hope we don't lose any snow to taint. Hopefully our temps radiate tonight so we can really start below freezing when the precipitation moves in during midday. It'll be a nice event. It'll look nice but roads should be mostly clear unless you get the heavy stuff than you know it'll accumulate.

Current temperature in Bx/Yo border 33.8 degrees; relative humidity 19% (very dry)

Dropped over a degree in an hour! Hoping for a low of 27. Radiation will work wonders for us tonight which should secure "the no taint solution".

Edit: I predict 5 inches of snow for Central Park.

Yea it's awful. Have to count the shades to get an idea . By the way why are people fighting over an inch of snow lol. And that Gfs map seems way over done for north jersey IMO

I've noticed that since the GFS upgrade, certain areas in northern NJ have what seems to be a permanent bullseye over them. Areas such as West Milford down through Lake Hopatcong (elevations generally over 1,200') seem to be a bit overdone. Though they definitely do see more snow at times due to their elevation, it seems to automatically multiply the snow amounts by 1.5 over those areas, regardless of storm specifics

I've noticed that since the GFS upgrade, certain areas in northern NJ have what seems to be a permanent bullseye over them. Areas such as West Milford down through Lake Hopatcong (elevations generally over 1,200') seem to be a bit overdone. Though they definitely do see more snow at times due to their elevation, it seems to automatically multiply the snow amounts by 1.5 over those areas, regardless of storm specifics

It usually jumps the Hudson and bullseyes westchester too a lot I've noticed

My town borders west milford . Those 1200 feet ridges are not the norm though . Most areas fall in the 500-800 range . Just weird like you said

Interesting to see the gradients across Mercer and Middlesex, with 2-3" in the SE sections of each county, then 3-4" in the central portions and 4-6" in the NW sections.  NWS also updated their discussion a few minutes ago, talking about it being a bit snowier/colder and even mentioning power outages for areas that receive 6" or more of heavy wet snow (possible in some spots, especially in Central Jersey).  Still don't expect much accumulations on major roads, during midday, but after about 4-5 pm as the sun gets lower in the sky and snowfall rates exceed melting rates, could see some slush highways, just in time for the Friday pm rush.  

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=PHI&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 PM THIS EVENING/...
930 AM ESTF SENT EARLIER AROUND 840 AM EDT AND AN SPS FOR THE
REGION BORDERING OUR SOUTHERN WXA (MD/DE) POSTING NOW WHERE WE
WILL SEE STRETCHES OF SLUSHY ACCUM THIS MORNING.

OTRW HAVE ADJUSTED TEMPS/DEWS THIS MORNING AND LINGERED SNOW LONGER
IN THE WX GRIDS AND TAKEN ALL MENTION OF RAIN OUT OF N CENTRAL NJ
THIS AFTN.

WXA CONTINUES AS POSTED THE LAST SEVERAL SHIFTS.

A SMALL CONCERN: IF WE DEVELOP A STRIPE OF 6 INCH WET SNOW SE PA
THROUGH CENTRAL NJ, WE WOULD SEE SOME POWER OUTAGES. I TEND TO USE
6 INCHES OF 32-33F SNOW AS MY DELIMITER FOR POWER PROBLEMS, DESPITE
ONLY 30-50 PCT OF THAT AMT ON PAVED SFCS`S.

I MAY ADD "HEAVY" SNOW RATES TO THE FCST FOR THE REGION NEAR 1-78
AND 30 MI EITHER SIDE IN THE 930 AM OR 1030 UPDATE.

THERE REMAINS SOME QUESTION AS TO HOW MUCH SNOW WILL ACCUMULATE
ON PAVED SURFACES. HOWEVER, DO EXPECT ACCUMULATION WITH THE HIGHER
SNOW RATES EXPECTED THIS AFTN.

Archived