• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Spring Banter - Pushing up Tulips

Baroclinic Zone

Another frost this morning, though lighter than yesterday's. 

The character of the snow, given equal SWE, should be irrelevant, unless powder sublimates wa-a-a-ay faster than paste, and no one has said that.  10" of 10:1 snow has the same LE as 20" of 20:1 snow.  While the fluff factor is trumped by SWE, the same pattern that gave my place just 45% avg precip for Feb and Mar could be related to the lack of recent rainfall.  However, it's not a groundwater issue in the Northeast, and wouldn't be unless it were to continue all summer.  The problem is lack of recent significant rains, for some, at a critical part of the growing season - it's real, but related to the top 4" or so, not the water table.

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow the wind looks goods too. Good for SOCAL as well.

That ULL will eventually give the northern Rockies a huge dumping too...like the Tetons up through the Bighorns and Beartooth ranges....just smoked.

The NAM gives them like 2-3 inches of QPF....even Tellruide down in CO gets like 1.5-2". The skier in me cries a little inside everytime I watch these monster snowstorms in spring dump feet and feet of snow on closed ski areas. :lol:

That ULL will eventually give the northern Rockies a huge dumping too...like the Tetons up through the Bighorns and Beartooth ranges....just smoked.

The NAM gives them like 2-3 inches of QPF....even Tellruide down in CO gets like 1.5-2". The skier in me cries a little inside everytime I watch these monster snowstorms in spring dump feet and feet of snow on closed ski areas. :lol:

May 1998 similarties? Big trough over the SW US with ridging to the north. Just what the doctor ordered down there, almost the wettest May on record for San Diego. .3 away or so from the record.

meh, my town's household hazardous waste day is tomorrow, but they don't take latex based paint. proper disposal is to open  the cans and dry them out and then they can go in the trash. So, now i have my firewood wagon filled with open paint cans hanging on the patio trying to dry out, and i have to keep an eye on the radar so i can pull the wagon into the garage if it looks like showers...fun times 

meh, my town's household hazardous waste day is tomorrow, but they don't take latex based paint. proper disposal is to open the cans and dry them out and then they can go in the trash. So, now i have my firewood wagon filled with open paint cans hanging on the patio trying to dry out, and i have to keep an eye on the radar so i can pull the wagon into the garage if it looks like showers...fun times

Cheapest bag of kitty litter you can find and dump it in there

On Facebook or something? Flagstaff is a sneaky snow spot at like 7,500ft. They average like 100" a year.

Gorgeous in the snow.

About 15 years ago a I sat up on Bell Rock with a friend and watched a November storm come in form the SW and blanket us with a few inches. Still etched in my memory.

Archived