SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Spring Banter - Pushing up Tulips

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chris just told your total precip for your winter residence was above normal, what in the Sam Hell would high snow ratios have to do with anything.

Sometimes I wonder about him.

I mean if you have dry snow and get normal liquid equivalent it's still normal precip for the season. If you had wet snow instead you just end up with well above normal precip. The winter really isn't contributing anything to the regional dryness.

This is complete fodder.

Vermont gets a ton of light fluffy snows and has one of the more notorious mud seasons every year.  There's no correlation to that except if you just didn't have any snow on the ground or it melted out abnormally early or something.

You had a thick pack...and I bet anything your snow-water equivalent was higher than normal regardless of how fluffy you thought the snow was.

I would say a slow and steady snow melt coupled with dry spring weather would mitigate mud season pretty effectively, not the powdery nature of the snowfall.

Rapidly warm up with wet weather and you thaw the ground at once, melt all the snow into it, and keep it moist through spring. Mud season.

Sometimes I wonder about him.

I mean if you have dry snow and get normal liquid equivalent it's still normal precip for the season. If you had wet snow instead you just end up with well above normal precip. The winter really isn't contributing anything to the regional dryness.

You could also have a below normal precip winter but everything that fell was wet snow...and you'd still be below normal for water.

I also find that water map to be interesting, as I know there were a bunch of CoCoRAHS stations in the spring down in SNE like CT/MA with like 4-8" SWE, and if that's only 50% of normal, what in the world is climo normal for them? There's no way CT averages like 10" of SWE on March 1st.

You could also have a below normal precip winter but everything that fell was wet snow...and you'd still be below normal for water.

I also find that water map to be interesting, as I know there were a bunch of CoCoRAHS stations in the spring down in SNE like CT/MA with like 4-8" SWE, and if that's only 50% of normal, what in the world is climo normal for them? There's no way CT averages like 10" of SWE on March 1st.

Well I think that map was percent normal February precip. Either way, the ASOSs don't match that map, and since they tend to under-catch snowfall I would think Coops totals would be even higher.

Well I think that map was percent normal February precip. Either way, the ASOSs don't match that map, and since they tend to under-catch snowfall I would think Coops totals would be even higher.

Oh yeah fail on my part. I thought it was water equivalent on the ground at the end of February.

Mammoth Mountain in California has had 18" so far in May.... which beats out the combined snowfall from January (2.5") and March (7.5").  

What did BHO have for a seasonal snowfall this season?  Did it beat Mammoth's 166"?  Last year they had 238"... amazingly rough stretch of winters for a place that averages 400".

Mammoth Mountain in California has had 18" so far in May.... which beats out the combined snowfall from January (2.5") and March (7.5").  

What did BHO have for a seasonal snowfall this season?  Did it beat Mammoth's 166"?  Last year they had 238"... amazingly rough stretch of winters for a place that averages 400".

1976-1977 had under 100" at Mammoth....that is hard to fathom for me. There is precedent for this, but it's very rare. The current snow drought is probably like 2 or 3 times per century.There was another horrific snow drought around 1932-1934....and another in the 1880s (this decade seemed to have extreme weather all over the CONUS)

It lets you appreciate how good I had it in the 1990s and early 2000s when I went out there all the time and can't remember anything notably bad. Even the "crappy" years were putting up 20-25 feet at Alpine Meadows where my aunt's condo was.

Holy crap 2.5" in January. No wonder parts of the range were at 9% of SWE.

I wonder if we will have a window to get some convection to either develop or move into western MA/CT late in the day on Saturday?

A lot depends on what happens in the morning and whether the atmosphere will be able to recover . NAM indicates some modest CAPE and 60+ dews advecting into Western New England in the afternoon.

Archived