Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring Banter - Pushing up Tulips

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you really installed your window units already? Especially being at 1,000 feet ASL - that's ridiculous.

Yes.. Put them in in April or early May every year. While they may not get used for a few more weeks.. It's a chore doing it and I'd rather do it when it's cool rather than having sweat running down my face getting me even more irritable while I'm doing it. They go on the sides or back window so no one really even sees them. And there's 2 other windows in each room to open to get fresh air in.. So I don't know why I wouldn't do it now. There's also pools opening up. 2 of our friends on soccer team had their pools opened yesterday/ today

Yes.. Put them in in April or early May every year. While they may not get used for a few more weeks.. It's a chore doing it and I'd rather do it when it's cool rather than having sweat running down my face getting me even more irritable while I'm doing it. They go on the sides or back window so no one really even sees them. And there's 2 other windows in each room to open to get fresh air in.. So I don't know why I wouldn't do it now. There's also pools opening up. 2 of our friends on soccer team had their pools opened yesterday/ today

Are you guys mentally challenged in NE CT?

Are you guys mentally challenged in NE CT?

Like winter..summer is short enough as it is..So if you had a pool..why wouldn't you have them come and open it,, and get the water temps up so it's ready to use in a week or 2? If you've got kids..they will swim.. If i had a pool..I would want to maximize my investment and use it. Much more likely to use it early in the season than late like September when kids go back to school and fall sports start (end of August)and it's getting dark early

Like winter..summer is short enough as it is..So if you had a pool..why wouldn't you have them come and open it,, and get the water temps up so it's ready to use in a week or 2? If you've got kids..they will swim.. If i had a pool..I would want to maximize my investment and use it. Much more likely to use it early in the season than late like September when kids go back to school and fall sports start (end of August)and it's getting dark early

Opening it up in prime pollen season with everything shedding crap? Ugh,..so much extra work. That just sounds like weenies with pools wanting to open it up and mentally convincing themself in rushing in summer when mother nature is nowhere near ready.

Opening it up in prime pollen season with everything shedding crap? Ugh,..so much extra work. That just sounds like weenies with pools wanting to open it up and mentally convincing themself in rushing in summer when mother nature is nowhere near ready.

Mother Nature is showing us her hand. May looks to come in well above normal. That doesn't mean 85-90 and humid..but 72-80 and sunny is certainly early summer weather and swimmable wx for kids. 

As far as the trees..the two people that opened them have big houses with mostly open areas and trees hundreds of yards away. Basically full sun all day and no trees in yard except way back along woods line

growing up, out pool always opened in May, and we were in it every day, probably a god send to parents...i think it was the spring of 89 or 90 when we had one hell of a heat wave in April with temps in the 80's and 90's, our pool was open in April that year...kids are resilient, they don't feel things like adults do...i used to go in the pool when water temps were in the low 60's, the April we opened it so early the water temps were in the 50's...now, I don't want to go in if the water is colder than 76...i think we get wimpier as we get older

I would personally never swim in a pool around here until probably near Memorial Day unless I wanted to freeze...or if we had one of those fluke 90F days in mid-May. It's almost impossible to keep the temp up with the May nights unless you have a heating system.

While it's nice to have..I don't think a pool as an investment in New England is a great one. Way too much work,, kills you on electric bill..and realistically you only get 3-4 months use out of it. I had one growing up in Vernon..and all I remember is vacuuming the thing out almost everyday..And we had major trees..so any storm that came= disaster. We always opened it the first weekend of May..and my dad would leave it open into late Sept..and would be the only one that would use it by then

But the kids having at least half their friends on all their sports teams that have pools= plenty of invites, parties,  and swimming FTW

Pools can be a lot of work, but the big deal is really keeping them clean from crap.  That means at least making sure they get are somewhat away from trees. If you were rich like Eek, you can get a warmer...but letting the sun do its work and a solar cover actually keep it rather pleasant around here in this part of SNE.  

Pools can be a lot of work, but the big deal is really keeping them clean from crap.  That means at least making sure they get are somewhat away from trees. If you were rich like Eek, you can get a warmer...but letting the sun do its work and a solar cover actually keep it rather pleasant around here in this part of SNE.  

My pool is not heated and because of tree growth, it gets far less sun than 25 years ago when it was built.  Most summers, I never get to go in at all because I need a minimum of 80 degree water to even consider it. 

I opened mine last week. My neighbor waits until late May and always has a green mess. Takes him at least 2 weeks and several hundred dollars worth of chlorine to clear it. Not to mention a waste of water backwashing the crap out of the filter.

I open mine up in late April, as clean as it was when I closed it Columbus day. Open it up, pour in a little Clorox up to 5 ppm, adjust the pH to 7.4 with some borax, throw in the robot, and I’m done. Run the pump on low speed for 8 hours a day. If we do get a nice warm weekend, I turn on the NG heater and crank that 14,000 gallons to 85 and throw the kids in. I wouldnt have a pool in NE without a heater.

And electric costs arent that much. Get a 2 speed or variable speed pump and it cuts the bill by 2/3rds at least. My pool cost maybe $25 a month to run.

While it's nice to have..I don't think a pool as an investment in New England is a great one. Way too much work,, kills you on electric bill..and realistically you only get 3-4 months use out of it. I had one growing up in Vernon..and all I remember is vacuuming the thing out almost everyday..And we had major trees..so any storm that came= disaster. We always opened it the first weekend of May..and my dad would leave it open into late Sept..and would be the only one that would use it by then

But the kids having at least half their friends on all their sports teams that have pools= plenty of invites, parties,  and swimming FTW

Agree...too short of a season up here.    A cool summer like last year it's hard to heat up.   My neighbors have a gas heated in ground pool which if I were to have a pool is the only reasonable option... for now it's friends with pools, that's the way to go.  We give our neighbors a $200 restaurant gift certificate at the end of the year.

Wait a minute... don't you kvetch about getting a chill at the pool on COC July/August afternoons with highs in the low 80s and dews in the mid 60s? Why would you want to sit out by the pool in May 70s/50s?

Wait a minute... don't you kvetch about getting a chill at the pool on COC July/August afternoons with highs in the low 80s and dews in the mid 60s? Why would you want to sit out by the pool in May 70s/50s?

Nope..mid 60's dews are nice. I don't like them below 60 in the summer.

In May.in the sun it's nice to get outside..Give it a try sometime

My pool is not heated and because of tree growth, it gets far less sun than 25 years ago when it was built.  Most summers, I never get to go in at all because I need a minimum of 80 degree water to even consider it. 

I could have sworn your pool was heated? My bad then..I thought it was.

because of the buds falling, pollen release in early May, keeping it covered until they release is prudent and smart.

Archived