Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring Banter - Pushing up Tulips

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hes on a hill west of the First CT Lake, the lake is ~1670ft. I think hes around 1800-1850ft or so. Like you said it is highly variable and the town is huge area wise, its basically the whole northern tip of NH. 

That snow event is not at all unusual for late April.  My brother's place (Treats and Treasures gift shop) is 1 mile away from John's weather station and at 1700 ft.  When I visited him a few years ago on Easter Weekend we had 6" of snow that Sunday night.  Traveling home Monday morning, by the time we reached the village of Pittsburg (8 miles southwest and 400 ft elevation lower), the ground was bare.  Definitely God's country.

I think that John guy is near 1600' but he's had about 10" the past 4 days.

I mean this much snow in the second half of April is definitely not common up there, even though snow isn't unheard of this time of year. First Connecticut (before the COOP closed down) only had a couple years where the last 15 days of April had more snow than the 9" John has in the last 5 days. He's up to his 2nd snowiest April overall since he started recording data there.

I mean this much snow in the second half of April is definitely not common up there, even though snow isn't unheard of this time of year. First Connecticut (before the COOP closed down) only had a couple years where the last 15 days of April had more snow than the 9" John has in the last 5 days. He's up to his 2nd snowiest April overall since he started recording data there.

yes, for some reason it was posted as normal climo.

There is a border crossing at like 2400ft up there. I wish they had the ability to at least have obs in a mesonet or something. 

I think I'm the only one in the office (besides maybe Ekster) that is actively trying to make a site visit up there in the winter with our observing program leader.

the Lake Francis ASOS is below the waterfall at the southern end of the lake. i saw it this year for the first time (never really looked before). right next to the snowmobile trail. not sure of the elevation there. i was also up at Boundary Pond, which is pretty far with a fantastic elevation. there is a logging road that goes right to the edge of the pond, would be a great place for an ASOS. it is assessible by car in the summer, and by snowmobile in the winter. the downside is that it really is in the middle of nowhere. The road to the pond is almost 10 miles (I think it is East Inlet Rd), and i saw one house. it was certainly odd seeing a wizard watching over us

post-315-0-59771000-1430131992_thumb.jpg

the actual border to Canada is cool to see, this is at the far end of Boundary Pond. no border patrol, just a cut of trees. i would guess there are cameras watching, especially since this is a very accessible area. some fools on sleds like to ride the border cut. not this guy, I prefer to stay out of the watchful eye of border patrol.

post-315-0-72037400-1430132241_thumb.jpg

the actual border to Canada is cool to see, this is at the far end of Boundary Pond. no border patrol, just a cut of trees. i would guess there are cameras watching, especially since this is a very accessible area. some fools on sleds like to ride the border cut. not this guy, I prefer to stay out of the watchful eye of border patrol.

So that's it?  The border designation is that monument post at the bottom of the pic?  The pic is facing into Canada?

Saturday riding my bike up around Mariaville NY there was still snow in the woods where it drifted.  42 degrees in the valley by the river and blowing, it had to be 10 degrees colder and blowing harder up there.  I was very uncomfortable.  The uphills with a tailwind were nice, though, the sun would warm you right up.  Then I'd change directions and I couldn't feel my hands any more.  

Those would be cows.  Only about 1500 lbs more.  :)

One was only put out yesterday I think.

LOL

LOL, I only glimpsed at it from my phone.  I don't understand, did they die and someone put them out for the coyote's dinner? Not making anymore milk so take 'em behind the wood shed?  I guess I'm just confused as to why someone would put out random cows for wildlife to munch on, cows aren't that cheap.

So that's it?  The border designation is that monument post at the bottom of the pic?  The pic is facing into Canada?

yes that's it. that picture looks down the border. so Canada is on the left, USA is on the right. The border goes right down the middle.

if you look at a google earth and go up to the canadian border, you will see that the entire border has a cut just like that. i assume you could hike/walk right into canada at that location, but I doubt you would get very far. the trees have eyes.

yes that's it. that picture looks down the border. so Canada is on the left, USA is on the right. The border goes right down the middle.

if you look at a google earth and go up to the canadian border, you will see that the entire border has a cut just like that. i assume you could hike/walk right into canada at that location, but I doubt you would get very far. the trees have eyes.

Yes, there are sensors and cameras.

Here's what it looks like if you cross the border at pittsburg... it's amazing... the road just drops straight down into a little town served by the worst roads I've ever been on.  It's so totally unexpected after driving through 20 miles of nothing but undeveloped forest.  You go from windswept tundra to normal little town in about two miles.

post-18-0-88042800-1430153755_thumb.jpg

post-18-0-46255900-1430153752_thumb.jpg

So that's it? The border designation is that monument post at the bottom of the pic? The pic is facing into Canada?

Oh you can just walk into Canada...but you can bet you'll have agents scrambling when their motion detectors and game cameras pick you up. I had a friend who grew up in Derby Line and as high school students they used to use ATV's to go back and forth over the border on trails in the woods, as it would take officers like 45 minutes to respond.

The one that's crazy to me is the border in Beebe Plain/Derby Line, VT. The border is literally the center of the road (Canusa Street), so you have the US on the south side, where LITERALLY your neighbors to the north (side of the street) are Canadian. Notice the Canadian street signs going west (north side), and the Vermont plates and America flags on the south side.

https://goo.gl/maps/jblpF

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canusa_Street

https://sites.google.com/site/hanxiaoqiang02/canusa

"In the two sided town of Derby Line/Stanstead there are two streets that cross the line without any checkpoints. Technically, any time anyone crosses the international line, they are subject to having to report, in person, to a port of entry inspection station for the country they are entering. This makes traffic on the streets that cross the line without a checkpoint, Maple Street/Rue Ball and Pelow Hill/Rue Lee fairly light, as it is more convenient to cross at Main Street/Rue Dufferin, where checkpoints are often set up for “drive thru” service.

Pedestrians on the sidewalk are also technically required to report as soon as they cross the line. Visiting someone on the other side of the line, even if the building is next door, means walking around to the inspection station first, or risk being an outlaw. Playing catch on Maple Street/Rue Ball would be an international event, and would break no laws presumably, so long as each time the ball was caught, the recipient marched over to customs to declare the ball.

When the international line crosses through a building, a different set of rules applies. Residents of the small apartment building in Derby Line/Stanstead do not need to report if they cross the line inside the building. They only need to report if they leave out the side of the building that opens on to a different country than the one they entered the building from. The building’s interior ends up being an international space, a bubble in the otherwise nearly infinitely thin international line.

The most prominent building on the line is the Haskell Free Library and Opera House. It was built intentionally on the border in 1901, as a gift to the community, and a symbol of international harmony. The entrances, one leading into the library, and the other heading up the stairs to the opera house/theater, however, are in the United States.

And though there are no restrictions on movement within the building, the placement on the border can lead to complications. The planning of a recent renovation project at the Library/Opera House took three years due to the conflicting construction, fire safety and historic preservation regulations of the two countries. Some of the public bathrooms, for example, sit on the border that runs diagonally through the building, and plumbers from the US and Canada had to be involved to make sure the work met their respective building codes. A fire escape for the theater was located on the Canadian side, but had to be recognized by the Americans, even though it wasn’t in their jurisdiction. If there were a fire in the opera house, then the evacuees would have to head immediately to the immigration station up the road.

The line painted on the floor inside the library and opera house is more than just a novelty. Apparently it was required in order to show which portions of the structure and furnishings would be covered by the separate Canadian and American insurance policies."

Archived