Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Spring Banter - Pushing up Tulips

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And you think all those areas all still solid pack right?

It's pretty easy. Anywhere with over 10" will survive. So if it's a spot that only has like 6", then it's probably toast by Saturday.

The pack is uneven so you can't just broadbrush without giving numbers.

I'm never going anywhere near there.

Born and raised in OKC. I've seen transformers pop like that. Biggest I've seen is an F4. Several 1 2and 3.

I rode a 3 out in a walk in refrigerator in a coffee shop in Stillwater Oklahoma when I was in grad school. Took the roof off an auto parts store next door but thank god my coffee shop lived to pour coffee another day.

Born and raised in OKC. I've seen transformers pop like that. Biggest I've seen is an F4. Several 1 2and 3.

I rode a 3 out in a walk in refrigerator in a coffee shop in Stillwater Oklahoma when I was in grad school. Took the roof off an auto parts store next door but thank god my coffee shop lived to pour coffee another day.

It would be interesting living in a place where getting hit by a tornado is actually a real possibility. I prefer snow haha.

Look at how those transformers were popping in circles. It looked like there was a couple different vortices there too

Definitely. Per that footage, It looked as if there was an enormous circulation that was just starting to get its act together. As the funnel was lowering, it was spinning up several brief vortices along the ground. ...the type of thing that you see before the it becomes a mile wide wedge.

Insane power flashes.

It would be interesting living in a place where getting hit by a tornado is actually a real possibility. I prefer snow haha.

I've spent a lot of time in a cellar.

Nobody has basements like they do here. Houses are built on slabs. But a lot of people have cellers in the back yard. Concrete or dug out cellers with wood timbers and an earthen top. Ours was concrete with a heavy door that had a chain you could hook to a eye bolt in the floor so a funnel couldn't suck the door off

I've spent a lot of time in a cellar.

Nobody has basements like they do here. Houses are built on slabs. But a lot of people have cellers in the back yard. Concrete or dug out cellers with wood timbers and an earthen top. Ours was concrete with a heavy door that had a chain you could hook to a eye bolt in the floor so a funnel couldn't suck the door off

Yeah, no thanks.

Yeah, no thanks.

Sounds worse than it is. Truth is, it's not that a common occurrence in any particular area. I've seen more than I've actually been worried about. Most of the time when I spent time in the celler was before they had widespread Doppler and my grandmother dragged us to the celler. Now you can see where they are down to the block.

I will say the one I rode out in the walk in fridge did worry me a little. I could here it come right over the restaurant. Part of the noise were the air handlers coming off the roof of the building next door and the glass coming out of the building I was in.

About 25 years ago, my step dad was caught in one north of OKC in his car. Picked it up, threw him in the ditch, blew the glass out of the car,. Cut him up a little, left him muddy and banged up, but he was ok.

When I was a toddler my parents lived in central IL with no basement.  Not OKC, but still pretty frequent tornadoes.  They had an arrangement to use a neighbor's for tornado warnings which happened from time to time.  We'd run outside in bad weather to join them in the basement.  I called it "tomato party" because I guess I couldn't say tornado at that stage and they called it a party probably to lighten the mood for the kids.

Similar climate to Tolland, Ct

Archived